tweedy- 7/26/14 freeport, ME

awesome night. drove up from boston in the morning, took a lovely dip in the pool at the best western, then headed into town and parked a 2-minute walk from the stage. we got there about 2 hours before showtime, finding a small patch of grass near the back of the park to set up our chairs and feed the kiddos. 10 minutes before showtime, a very sweet couple from freeport found us and let us take their spot they had staked out at midnight directly in front of the soundboard, no more than 40 feet from the stage (they scored VIP passes and wanted to give their spot to someone deserving- we were lucky enough to fit the description. thanks, tim and co.!) this was a really special night- jeff and the band were definitely at ease and having a lot of fun. like the other recent shows, they played new material first, then jeff played solo for a bit, then a 3-song encore with the whole band again. also got lucky to snap a pic of the setlist from a fan next to us who scored it from stan the sound guy. solo set was just listed as "solo", so it's from memory and definitely out of order- sorry if i've omitted anything:

with full band:

diamond light

flowering

summer noon

homey combed

desert bell

world away

new moon

love like a wire

fake fur coat

hazel

high as hello

low key

slow love

nobody dies

jeff solo (again, sorry for incorrect sequence or omissions- please feel free to correct):

new madrid

born alone

jesus etc

i'm the man who loves you

we've been had

pecan pie

hummingbird

passenger side

encore (full band):

you're not alone

give back the key to my heart

only the lord knows

california stars

such a fun show (and free!). would love to hear stories/setlist corrections from anyone else who was there. see you all at solid sound 2015, if not before...

I am Trying to Break Your Heart was the first song of the solo set. This is close to the order, but probably not exact:

I am Trying to Break Your Heart

New Madrid

Passenger Side

We've Been Had

Pecan Pie

Hummingbird

Born Alone

Hesitating Beauty

Jesus, etc.

I'm the Man Who Loves You

Hey last cigarettes, we were sitting right in front of you. My friend is the one who got the setlist that you photographed. Glad you got that spot - the sound was excellent right there in the middle in front of the soundboard.

Loads of funny banter. More on that later.

thanks for the addition and edit, inside of outside- i knew i was forgetting something. you guys were great show neighbors- hope the kids weren't too distracting. on the subject of distractions, what was up with the two guys having a noisy heated discussion next to the soundboard midway through? some people just need civility lessons...

and yes, i believe the whole first set with the band was stuff from the new album. there was no set break- they all left the stage prior to IATTBYH and then returned for the encore. hope this one shows up on owl and bear at some point- i didn't see anyone taping.

Should I know that one?

Jeff introduced Love Like a Wire as a cover, written by the late Diane Izzo, a singer-songwriter from Chicago. He said that she was no longer with us, but this song is. It was a good one. No idea if it is on Sukierae; my guess is no. Speaking of Sukierae, the guy who introduced Tweedy in Freeport mangled the pronunciation of it - he called it Sunkenray or something close to that. It was worth a chuckle.

thanks for the addition and edit, inside of outside- i knew i was forgetting something. you guys were great show neighbors- hope the kids weren't too distracting. on the subject of distractions, what was up with the two guys having a noisy heated discussion next to the soundboard midway through? some people just need civility lessons...

I did not hear the two guys behind us, but one of our group did. I guess a couple came in during the show and stood next to the soundboard, in front of folks who were seated there. A guy sitting behind them got in the guys face about coming in the middle of the show and blocking everyone's view. It is pretty well known at these shows that the lawn area is for people who come the night before at midnight to set up chairs (or those who come early on the morning of the show). In fact, the LL Bean ushers do not generally let people into the lawn area unless they already have seats set up.

A friend of mine and I drove from the Portsmouth, NH Tweedy show to Freeport to set up our chairs. We got to Freeport at 11:45 PM, and we were about 30th in line. They let 3-4 people in at a time, starting at midnight, to set up lawnchairs. My friend and I set up 11 chairs, and we were out of there by 12:15 AM. There were probably 60 people or so there at midnight setting up their chairs, which is alot (usually there might be a handful, though for Guster last year there were well over a hundred). Jeff did joke about the lawnchairs a couple of times.

Jeff introduced Love Like a Wire as a cover, written by the late Diane Izzo, a singer-songwriter from Chicago. He said that she was no longer with us, but this song is. It was a good one. No idea if it is on Sukierae; my guess is no.

Ta.

Not on the track listing as per Amazon UK.

I thought the show was lovely, but seemed like it might have been a bit weird for the band, being a free show in a tourist town and all. Overall, I was very pleased with the show, and hearing the new album live helped me get a better feel for the songs. We showed up around 11AM to set up our chairs, and found a great little spot stage left, with a perfect view of Jeff. L.L. Bean seems to have a pretty decently structured setup for their free shows, so the whole experience was really enjoyable!

Sidenote: I immediately went and bought a box of Cheez-Its after the show. Jeff stirred up a craving.

I thought the show was lovely, but seemed like it might have been a bit weird for the band, being a free show in a tourist town and all. Overall, I was very pleased with the show, and hearing the new album live helped me get a better feel for the songs. We showed up around 11AM to set up our chairs, and found a great little spot stage left, with a perfect view of Jeff. L.L. Bean seems to have a pretty decently structured setup for their free shows, so the whole experience was really enjoyable!

Sidenote: I immediately went and bought a box of Cheez-Its after the show. Jeff stirred up a craving.

It sure did seem like the band found the venue and the vibe a bit different. Jeff said as much early on. The crowds there are unique - everyone from local families, local senior citizens (of which there are many in Maine), tourists who have no idea who the band is but, hey, they were buying some camping gear or a kayak, and hey, why not stay and watch the band?, rabid fans of the particular band, high school kids looking for something free to do on a Saturday night, etc. It is in a weird spot, this small park in between two good size retail stores and a parking lot behind.

Speaking of the parking lot behnd, my favorite banter was early on when a car alarm went off in the lot behind the stage. The band members all turned around after the second song and looked at the parking lot, waiting for it to stop. It didn't. They tried to start the next song, but the car alarm had a rhythm to it that interferred. It was very amusing. Jeff said, "Would the owner of a 2006 Toyota Cressida, license plate......" Much later, he asked for help from anyone who might have a car alarm in the key of G.

At one point during the first set, someone yelled something and Jeff mistakenly thought the person said, "IKEA." Jeff thought the person was suggesting that these sad songs would be better served if they were played at IKEA. He thought that was observant, but odd.

Late in the show, Jeff spotted someone eating cheez-its. He said that once upon a time, he would have been irritated by that. Now, he was happy that someone was enjoying cheez-its, sitting in a lawn chair, and listening to art.

LL Bean has an interpreter signing for the deaf off to one side of the stage, and Jeff asked the interpreter to sign "The guitar player is playing an awesome guitar solo" during solos. He thought that those watching might benefit from the extra information. Later, when the band came out for the encore, Jeff went over and gave the interpreter a hug. It was touching. It was one of those actions that audiences see that make Jeff so normal and human, IMHO. A minute before he hugged the interpreter, we could see Jeff and the band off to the side of the stage (there is no backstage at LL Bean's stage), and Spencer threw his arm around his Dad when Jeff came off after his solo set. Also touching.

• 4 weeks later...

HOLY F there is a clap after "Weve Been Had" like whatever but my azz may have bum rushed the stage no bullsh*t

Agreed. I wasn't there, only have the recording to go by... I sensed mostly "polite golf clapping" after a lot of the songs...

Not sure how many Wilco /Tweedy fans were there versus regulars in the area that just attend all of the shows for something to do...

It was not a show that had many die hards there. One indicator of how few die hards were there is the lack of VCers posting about attending the show.

I was three rows back from the VILLBE (Very Important LL Bean Employees), and there were not many folks whooping it up at the deep cuts. I put out 11 chairs for me and 10 friends - 7 of them had limited to no knowledge of Wilco/Tweedy. Upside - several new fans were made out of those 7.