The Autumn Defense - 15 January 2015, Todos Santos Music Festival, Hotel California, Todos Santos, Mexico

I'm currently in attendance at the Peter Buck curated Todos Santos Music Festival, and had the pleasure of seeing The Autumn Defense for my first time on Thursday. The setlist was:

Calling Your Name

Written In The Snow

This Thing That I've Found

The Sun In California

Huntington Fair

The Swallows Of London Town

None Of This Will Matter

Feel You Now

It's Just That Simple (Wilco)

Every Day

We Would Never Die

Sentimental Lady (Bob Welch cover)

You Can't Have Me (Big Star cover, with Scott McCaughey on keys)

In addition Pat joined the Jayhawks on stage for their song 'Blue', playing guitar, and last night (the 16th), while there was no Autumn Defense (no sign of John), Pat played guitar with Joseph Arthur during his set, and joined the Jayhawks again on 'Blue'.

It's a really fantastic, laid back festival in a really cool small Mexican town. Some great bands always play (all connected to Peter Buck in some way), highly recommended coming over for it!

There's a whole bunch of photos from the festival, including a bunch from The Autumn Defense's set up on a facebook page I co-run called 'The R.E.M. Timeline' at https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.827517310646466.1073741913.180210328710504&type=1

Here's video I took of the Big Star cover. I got a couple of other videos too that will appear on my youtube page eventually too, including Sentimental Lady and (most of) It's Just That Simple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NDoYc_GKJc 

Also Pat stayed for all 3 days of the first week of the festival despite Autumn Defense only playing the first night. On the third night he played guitar for The Jayhawks for almost their entire set. 

Thanks for the report(s)! I think someone pointed me toward your video of the Old 97's playing Driver 8 with Peter Buck. Sounds like a fun time.

And cool about Pat playing with the Jayhawks. Joseph Arthur was down there this year, right? I know he and Pat are pretty tight, and there's probably a connection with Kraig Johnson as well. So I'm not surprised Pat would be all over the place at this thing. Can't blame a guy for wanting to get out of Chicago this time of year...❄️

Kraig was in Joseph Arthur's Lonely Astronauts band. Pat was in Dave Pirner's band for his 2002 solo album tour, and Kraig's band The Program (including Marc Perlman) opened up on that tour.

Kraig was in Joseph Arthur's Lonely Astronauts band. Pat was in Dave Pirner's band for his 2002 solo album tour, and Kraig's band The Program (including Marc Perlman) opened up on that tour.

Yeah, I know the connections run deep between pretty much all those guys...likely from when they all lived in New York.

Here's video I took of the Big Star cover. I got a couple of other videos too that will appear on my youtube page eventually too, including Sentimental Lady and (most of) It's Just That Simple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NDoYc_GKJc 

Also Pat stayed for all 3 days of the first week of the festival despite Autumn Defense only playing the first night. On the third night he played guitar for The Jayhawks for almost their entire set. 

Are you from Australia or New Zealand and did you head over to Mexico just for this? Just clicked in my mind that you were also the one posting setlists from the Oz/NZ tour in 2013... :thumbup

I'm from Australia and yes, that was me who did the Aus/NZ tour in 2013 :) I didn't go specifically for the Autumn Defense, it was a bonus they were on the bill. I'm hoping next year Wilco will make an appearance :)

ah, who can forget that cold, rainy afternoon, when the sound cut off everytime the thunder struck? :)