Record Store Day tomorrow

Anyone planning to head out early in the morning?

Here's my grocery list:

101'ers - Elgin Avenue Breakdown

Decemberists - Picaresque

Dionne Warwick/The Stranglers - Walk On By

Dresden Dolls - The Virginia Monologues

The Autumn Defense - The Autumn Defense

Grandmaster Flash/Stiff Little Fingers - The Message

David Bowie/Tom Verlaine - Kingdom Come

Ian Dury - New Boots and Panties

Simple Minds - Celebrate - Live From The SSE Hydro Glasgow

Bob Dylan - The Basement Tape

Happy Mondays - Pills, Thrills and Bellyaches

Jesus and Mary Chain - Psychocandy. Live. Barrowlands.

Johnny Marr - I Feel You

Various Artists - An On-U Journey Through Time and Space

Miles Davis - Box Set vol. 2

Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible

Trojan Records: Rude Boy Rumble

The Darjeeling Limited OST

Jah Wobble - Let’s Go Psycho

Ride - OX 4

The White Stripes - Get Behind Me Satan

Amon Tobin - Dark Jovian EP

Neko Case - Fox Confessor Brings The Flood

Swans - 12" EP

I grabbed:

The 101'ers

Neko Case

Miles Davis

T Monk in San Francisco

Johnny Cash Live in Prague

Blitzen Trapper - Harvest Live

Sun Records RSD 2015 Collection

The Replacements

The White Stripes

A nice haul - glad to support Pure Pop here in Burlington.  This place was about to go under until vinyl came roaring back...

Anyone planning to head out early in the morning?

Here's my grocery list:

101'ers - Elgin Avenue Breakdown
Decemberists - Picaresque
Dionne Warwick/The Stranglers - Walk On By
Dresden Dolls - The Virginia Monologues
The Autumn Defense - The Autumn Defense
Grandmaster Flash/Stiff Little Fingers - The Message
David Bowie/Tom Verlaine - Kingdom Come
Ian Dury - New Boots and Panties
Simple Minds - Celebrate - Live From The SSE Hydro Glasgow
Bob Dylan - The Basement Tape
Happy Mondays - Pills, Thrills and Bellyaches
Jesus and Mary Chain - Psychocandy. Live. Barrowlands.
Johnny Marr - I Feel You
Various Artists - An On-U Journey Through Time and Space
Miles Davis - Box Set vol. 2
Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible
Trojan Records: Rude Boy Rumble
The Darjeeling Limited OST
Jah Wobble - Let’s Go Psycho
Ride - OX 4
The White Stripes - Get Behind Me Satan
Amon Tobin - Dark Jovian EP
Neko Case - Fox Confessor Brings The Flood
Swans - 12" EP

Had fun working at Laurie's but I have to say, this is the year RSD jumped the shark.  The record companies used to give out free shit, but no longer and prices are ridiculous.  Got a couple cool things, but plugging the Springsteen reissues seems besides the point.

LouieB

Well yea, I was slightly exaggerating but not much. Most LPs were in the low 20s for individual, but there were plenty of single LPs that went over into the $30 range.  Singles where I was were going in the $10 range.  All this is still a lot of money if you buy a handful. 

LouieB

RSD had jumped the shark by the time the second year rolled around, not to mention RSD Black Friday. A few nice releases mixed with a boatload of pic/colored discs and material that shouldnt be released. Lotta false demand comes from that little RSD sticker.

Vinyl prices in general are all over the map. Doesn't seem any better or worse on RSD, from what I've seen. Not much rhyme or reason to it, ime. You can get a nicely packaged 2xlp for $30 or pay the same for bootleg quality packaging and flimsy vinyl.

Jumping the shark is a relative issue I suppose. I talked to a friend who really wanted (and got) some of the releases this year, so to him it was an essential year.  And while I got a few interesting things, I could have lived without all of it.  Setting up the record buying public with fake shortages or perceived shortages is just plain wrong in my opinion.  Most egregious this year were the Springsteen reissues, which will be fully available after RSD, but then again Uncle Tupelo did the same thing a few years back.  And if a short supply release is important and interesting to a large number of people, the shortage does a major disservice to fans.  But ultimately it does bring a ton of folks in to stores, some of whom can always use the customers and others who get plenty to stay in business year round.

LouieB

How's the Blitzen Trapper LP? This was the only release I wanted on RSD and I couldn't find a copy... They're on eBay for 4X retail price...

You mean the cover of Harvest? I saw tons of those. Pretty sure I might be able to get one at regular price if you want. I can at least look.

If I had such places to go to - I would have bought that Metallica tape. I see it is already going for a bunch of money on Ebay. I don't want it that bad. 

If I get back to my record store on Friday- I'll see if they've got any left. If they do I will snag you one. 

Also, I feel like the $12 I paid for the Ryan Adams single was a complete rip off. The store I go to gouges the hell out of the stuff they get, but they're the only store in town that gets stuff. Double edge sword I guess. 

Really looking forward to checking out the records at Vintage Vinyl in St. Louis in a couple weeks. 

I sort of regret it, because I bet RA will have it at the shows we're seeing next week at the Ryman. 

On topic- the hold steady re-issue of Boys and Girls In America sounds awesome. I'm so glad this record was a grower, because I HAAAATED it at first.