LouieB on the Radio - All shows

Because R&B Flashback is gone, I am starting a new thread so if there is anyone interested in checking out my radio shows I will post the info here. 

I am doing a free form show I am calling the Sunday Afternoon Mixtape Show this Sunday at 4 PM Central (until 5:30 PM) on WNUR.org or 89.3 FM on the north side of Chicago. I am going to sneak in a Wilco song as well as new Bottle Rockets, Yo La Tengo, Jesse Malin, some things from or about the Band, Errol Garner, Miles Davis, Roscoe Mitchell, maybe some acoustic guitar, crazy 45s, and who knows what else as the time allows. The set list is not yet set. This should be very fun.  This show should be on the third Sunday of each month. 

I may be subbing for the blues show and hopefully getting back on the classical and beyond after college football subsides.  As I approach retirement (yea I am that fucking old) I will be doing more of these shows on WNUR (hopefully sub in for some jazz during the week) and maybe someday get on CHIRP (another Chicago station). 

I'll be happy to take requests (if I have the artist) for November's show.

LouieB

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bumping this. I am on WNUR,org Sunday November 12 at 5:30 PM central time. This is a fill in for the metal show, but I will be playing R&B like I used to.  Should be fun if you have time.  Will be on a week later as well doing the Mixtape Show, but more on that later.

LouieB 

• 2 weeks later...

Back on the air today at 4 PM to 530 PM Central (November 15) doing the Sunday Mixtape Show.  Playing some cool stuff today including Bloodshot artists the Banditos, the Yawpers, Bottle Rockets, a couple more Dylan covers as well as early early Dylan with Carolyn Hester, Harry Belafonte and Big Joe Williams, acoustic guitar from Fahey, Jansch, and Grossman, jazz with Sonny Rollins and Chicago Saxophone Quartet, honky tonk country, and odds and ends from The Byrds, Allen Toussaint, and Courtney Barnett (yea, I'm on board.)

All this is at 89.3 FM in Chicago or on the web at WNUR.org at 4 - 5:30 PM Central time on November 15. WNUR can be accessed through the website or TuneIn app.  Tune me in if you have time.  Thanks.

LouieB

Posting up slightly earlier this week.  I a back on with the Sunday Mixtape Show this Sunday November 22 at 5:30 PM central time. See above for details, but if you are out of town you can tune in on TuneIn or through the WNUR.org website.  I am short of time this week so I am just going to pick some "great songs" to play.  Requests?  Will throw something Wilco related on this show for sure. 

LouieB

Posting early this week. I am back on this Sunday November 29 at 5:30 PM central on WNUR.org doing the Mixtape show again.  You can also listen through TuneIn.  This week I am inviting in some of my friends from Laurie's Planet of Sound including BBop (Paul) who is a fierce record collector, to play some of their faves.  This is become a lot of fun for me and I also hope for listeners. 

If you already tuned me in at some point, come on back.

LouieB

I am totally bumping this thing.  Today is your chance to hear me and BBop (Paul Suwan) on the radio (see above.) We are starting at just after 5 PM central time on WNUR.org.  Paul is playing a bunch of stuff from his record collection, mainly French influenced material, but other stuff as well, and I am doing a short tribute to Billy Strayhorn, who's 100 birthday is today and a cut from the Mini-Mekons/Robbie Fulks LP that came out on Black Friday. We are also joined by John Laurie of Laurie's Planet of Sound, who is playing some crazy stuff from his record collection. If you have not bothered to listen to my shows before, this is the one to catch.  Again, see above for how to access this both in Chicago and on the net. 

LouieB

• 3 weeks later...

Saturday December 19, I am on the Classical and Beyond show at 1-4 Central time playing a crazy variety of classical and modern classical stuff including Brad Mehldau doing Brahms, some new Frank Zappa (black Friday release), Edgar Varese (Zappa's inspiration) other modern classical as well as some holiday fare including early Christmas type music from Germany, America and France, Gregorian chant.

Actually the Sunday slot was canceled when the regular DJ asked for the slot back..

Thanks for listening in advance. I know it is a busy weekend for everyone.

LouieB 

• 4 weeks later...

Back again this weekend on the Classical and Beyond show. This week featuring modern Hungarian composers Bartok, Ligeti, Kodaly, and Kurtag.  Interesting names and interesting music.  No Lizst planned.  Check it out Saturday at 1-4 PM central time on WNUR.org.  Seriously, this is fun. 

LouieB

• 2 weeks later...

Can you stand this?  I am back with a mixtape show January 30 at 7-9 AM central time on WNUR.  I will be playing material from recently deceased musicians, crazy singles about UFOs (in honor of the return of the X-Files), Dylan bootleg (Cutting edge),, County Records, Tortoise, some jazz, maybe some music for Black History Month, and a few other things I think of before early tomorrow morning.  WNUR.org or 89.3 in Chicago. It's gonna be early fun.

LouieB

• 2 weeks later...

Well I missed notifying everyone about the Boulez show we did a couple weeks ago, but here is your chance to hear something completely different, which I doubt anyone will be cause it is going to be at 6-7 AM central time (as usual on WNUR.org or 89.3 FM in Chicago.) Because it is so early I am playing an hour of early music meaning jazz, blues, pop, gospel, country from before 1935, including material from the acoustic era (pre-1926.)  Despite the early time and early material it is still going to be a load of lo-fi fun.

Join me won't you?  Come- on!!!!

LouieB

• 2 weeks later...

I am back on Classical and Beyond this Saturday at 1 PM- 4PM central time, WNUR.org.  But here's the thing, this week is phonathon for the station.  As with every not for profit venture we are going to ask for a bit of money.  Please tune me in for this purpose if you like.  If not try me next time.  However a bit of help on the funding would be greatly appreciated and worth a shout out. As I approach retirement I hope to be on more often on subbing on different shows and maybe get my own show someday. Thanks in advance.

LouieB

Looks like I am doing a double header on March 19.  I am doing a Mixtape Show at 7 AM -9 AM and then a Classical and Beyond at 1-4 PM.  More details later. Any requests for the Mixtape show?  The Classical show will feature modern British composers.

Lou

• 2 weeks later...

Pencil this one in early.  I am on again Saturday 7-9 AM central time March 19 (WNUR.org or 89.3 in Chicago) for the Mixtape Show, which again means I am playing odds and ends in little sets that may be of interest.  I am going to be featuring songs about Carolina, Thelonius Monk, songs about French poets, selections from the musical Hamilton; artists will include Bill Frisell, Eubie Blake, Mavis Staples, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Tom Waits, Patti Smith, Lydia Loveless, Tom Laughner, Ryan Adams, John Langford, White Mystery, Beach Slang, Milton Babbitt, and others (depending on the time.).   Maybe some scratchy singles, maybe Shelby Lynn and Rosanne Cash.  I know it's early, but I'm a fill in guy.  Thanks in advance.

LouieB

• 1 month later...

Nearly forgot. I am doing a jazz show May 1 at 4-6 PM Central time on WNUR.org (as usual)  or 89.3 in Chicago.  Tune In is a good way to get this. Today I am playing an hour of bebop and and hour of AACM, with a Gil Scott-Heron chaser for the electoral season.  Tune me in if you can. The first hour includes Bird and Diz along with Monk, Milt Jackson, Dexter Gordon, etc. and the second hour includes the Art Ensemble of Chicago and its members, as well as Henry Threadgill, Anthony Braxton, Leo Smith, Richard Abrams.  Should be a good time.

LouieB

Sounding good, Lou. Missed the beginning part, but been listening since 5:40 or so.

Saw the Miles movie this morning -- it was entertaining. More of action film - which was a bit weird.

Yea, I want to see Miles but it doesn't sound all that enticing on some levels.

Thanks for tuning in.  I was a bit off, with one of the CD players eating one of my CDs.  Hope to get it back.

LouieB

Sick of me yet?  Well if not, give me a listen this Saturday May 7 at 7-9 AM central time.  I am doing a Mixtape show with lots of faves for folks on this board.  I am going to play lots of new releases by the Waco Brothers, Robbie Fulks, The Jayhawks, Sturgill Simpson,, Mavis STaples, Tom Waits, John Renbourn, as well as Record store day releases from EmmyLou, Mathew Sweet, Nuggets, the original Son Volt and older stuff from Aretha, Bert Jansch, The Mekons, as well as some wacky singles and whatever else I wrestle up.  All on WNUR.org (TuneIn works for this) or 89.3 FM in Chicago.  I know this is early.  Get the tapes rolling.Nearly all of this is on LP, not CD

Also I am doing the Classical and Beyond show at 1-4 PM  Centeral time with some great post-war Eastern European material on ECM and Sony that will blow you away.  Call in if you want at 847-866-WNUR. and say hello.  

Thanks all.

LouieB

• 2 weeks later...

Back at you twice this weekend on WNUR.org or 89.3 FM in Chicago. First it's Classical and Beyond on Saturday May 21 from 1-4 PM, with John Martin and I picking some leftovers from  past shows we didn't get to play on past shows and some new acquisitions. I'm picking Irving Fine, Ben Johnston, Milton Babbitt, Morton Feldman, and Ernst Krenek. Tune in to hear John's picks (always great.)

If you like jazz better, check me out Sunday at 4-6 PM. I am subbing on Jazz Impressions with a mix of jazz including old and new. John Coltrane and Miles Davis, Sun Ra, flute jazz (Kirk, Sam Most, James Moody, Nicole Mitchell), 1920s (with the King Oliver, Duke, Tiny Parham, etc.), female jazz vocalists (Nina Simone, Betty Carter, Sarah Vaughn, and Billie), and guitarist Julian Lage and Nels Cline, Bill Frisell, and Charlie Christian.  Throw in Sun Ra and Oliver Nelson and we'll have a party. Something for all jazz fans. 

Tune me in if you have time.  

LouieB

• 2 weeks later...

More Classical and Beyond this weekend at 1-4 PM Central on WNUR.org or 89.3 FM.  This week are French composers including Messiaen, Boulez, Butilleuex, Debussy, Satie, Faure, and others. Should be a fun time on a nice day. Tune on in from anywhere.  

LouieB

• 2 weeks later...

And now for something different again......I'm taking a regular midday slot on WNUR.org (89.3) starting tomorow Tuesday June 14 at 12-2 PM Central.  This will be a mixtape type format with whatever I want to play for 2 hours.  This should be fun and I will be on every week for the foreseeable future.  

I also have a classical show this Saturday and a jazz show fill in for Sunday, but more on that later in the week.

LouieB