Wilco - State Theatre Portland, ME 1/27

2 quick things to add:

Great to meet gods8apedhole, who had given me perfect info about the State and where to be if I couldn't stand all night. So nice to be able to say hi and chat. And her daughter too.

After the show, I shared an elevator ride with Glenn and a couple other fans. The nicest guy, just what you would expect him to be.

Great to meet you too! I'm glad you were comfortable. For the record, the sound at State is not always muddy. It's a tough room for a sound engineer. I told Stan that he did a good job in a tough place. He was so happy for the compliment! He gave me a set list, too funny. I was thinking the sound would be better back near you guys. I kept thinking that I was too close up front but oddly I think the sound was better just being in the center even though I was so close. I like to be about 15 to 20 rows back but I got surged way up front. Have a great time this weekend! 

Well, my first Wilco show since Solid Sound, and my first show at the State. Well worth the trip from Boston. Never having been in that theater, my expectations were for a really nice restored theater with excellent sound. That is not the State. The sound was a little muddy, my friend and I were noticing that all night. And there were so many freakin talkers right in front of us. We also were annoyed, like Jeff. But just like Jeff said, the spirit was there and Wilco delivered the goods.

The sound at the State can get a little muddy if you're at the back by the seats on the first floor. I can't speak for the balcony, but I've always been happy with the sound at the front floor positions. Aside from some minor feedback issues at one point, I thought everything sounded great, it was just a little louder than other shows I've attended. I was pretty much front and center and even with earplugs in, my ears were ringing well into the next day.

As others and Jeff stated, people talking was by far the most disappointing thing about that night. Like I said, I was up front and during William Tyler's set, I could barely hear what he was playing because the talking was so loud. I rightly assumed that stuff would be brought up by the band later, which is unfortunate.

Despite all that, I'd been waiting years for them to come back to Maine, so I was just ecstatic to be able to see them again. Here's hoping it won't be another 5+ years before they come back to the state.

As others and Jeff stated, people talking was by far the most disappointing thing about that night. Like I said, I was up front and during William Tyler's set, I could barely hear what he was playing because the talking was so loud. I rightly assumed that stuff would be brought up by the band later, which is unfortunate.

I was up front until Dawned on Me.  So I was there for William Tyler and the rowdy talking was really embarrassing. I felt bad for William Tyler. And like you said, it was hard to hear over the murmur.  I had my 17 year old daughter with me & she said, "Mom I'm embarrassed for Portland." I shushed 2 women in front of me a few times while WT was playing. I just couldn't take it. They moved away but continued to carry on. 

I love State Theatre. I think it's fun. It has lots of options for dancing, standing & sitting. I like the bars too, great beer on tap & it's $6.50. I think beer at the Orpheum is $12.00 & good luck getting that beer. I also happen to think that State is beautifully understated. It has a Moorish / Art deco style ( different than the Orpheum) as it was built in 1929. It's from a different period hence different aesthetics. 

Despite the annoyance with the talkers, they love us. They'll be back sooner than later. 

Boston wasn't much better in regards to people talking during Tyler's set. there were two guys behind me, yapping away, and i finally asked them to hold the chatter as there was just one song left. they graciously quieted down, but you could hear the overall rumble of uninterested people throughout the room. this isn't background music, folks. if you want to talk, head to the lobby - you've got a reserved seat you can return to!

If "Bob" is the guy who taped and posted both Orpheum shows, he was not at the Portland show.  Damn him!  I saw a pretty substantial rig set up in front of the board, so I was expecting a recording to circulate.

Well that explains it, worldrecordplayer.  I saw a rig too and assumed this was him.