Wilco @ Bull Moose records Scarborough Maine

That was a lot of fun.

I was not planning to go, as I had to work. My wife surprised me with a bracelet for this at breakfast (it was a birthday present - nothing like seeing your favorite band twice on your birthday), and she picked me up at work at lunchtime. I thought I was going with her, but she dropped me off at Bull Moose, where I met up with two neighbors.

The 7 songs were really well done, especially given that they were crammed on a small stage in a record store. As many of you can attest from past experience meeting them, the band members were super gracious during the signing time afterward.

Good banter, too. One was about the face that Jeff made during a solo, and he said no one ever makes that face in their daily work, other than guitar players. He said you couldn't see your dentist making that face while working on your teeth. Someone up front said her gynecologist makes that face while working, and Jeff said that maybe she should check her gynecologist's credentials.

That was a lot of fun.

I was not planning to go, as I had to work. My wife surprised me with a bracelet for this at breakfast (it was a birthday present - nothing like seeing your favorite band twice on your birthday), and she picked me up at work at lunchtime. I thought I was going with her, but she dropped me off at Bull Moose, where I met up with two neighbors.

The 7 songs were really well done, especially given that they were crammed on a small stage in a record store. As many of you can attest from past experience meeting them, the band members were super gracious during the signing time afterward.

Good banter, too. One was about the face that Jeff made during a solo, and he said no one ever makes that face in their daily work, other than guitar players. He said you couldn't see your dentist making that face while working on your teeth. Someone up front said her gynecologist makes that face while working, and Jeff said that maybe she should check her gynecologist's credentials.

what a thoughtful surprise. happy belated - glad you had a nice time.

That was a lot of fun.

:lol

Here is a brief article on the in-store show.

Not entirely accurate (they report 8 songs played, there were only 7), but an adequate general overview.

One note - the band members pulled up just after 1:30 PM. Five members were driven in a not-too-recent Honda Odyssey, and Pat was a passenger in a late model Hyundai Vera Cruz. More evidence that they are pretty regular people. Except they play fantastic songs really, really well.

Here is a brief article on the in-store show.

Not entirely accurate (they report 8 songs played, there were only 7), but an adequate general overview.

One note - the band members pulled up just after 1:30 PM. Five members were driven in a not-too-recent Honda Odyssey, and Pat was a passenger in a late model Hyundai Vera Cruz. More evidence that they are pretty regular people. Except they play fantastic songs really, really well.

The vans and people driving were employees from State Theatre. Pat and Glenn were in Hyundai. And the rest of the band and head security (for Wilco) was in the other van. It was really funny to watch them drive up so fast and jump out. I was first in line so I got to see the action pretty close up. 

The vans and people driving were employees from State Theatre. Pat and Glenn were in Hyundai. And the rest of the band and head security (for Wilco) was in the other van. It was really funny to watch them drive up so fast and jump out. I was first in line so I got to see the action pretty close up. 

Got it. The van was a riot - it needed a wash in the worst way (just about every car up here does, given the salt and slop on the roads), and the automatic door on the van  appeared to get stuck and would not close after they got out.

Playing a record store, when they clearly do not need to in terms of publicity/selling records, is pretty darn cool.

Being a "local" the other cool thing with Bull Moose is that they will often release the in store performance on CD (not sure about vinyl) - they have done that in the past with Mumford & Sons / Ani DiFranco / Decemberists and others - the release usually coincides with Record Store Day.... 

haha that was my friends girlfriend. She drove by waving at me with this giddy smile