I like her voice on the first album. It's just such a different trip than the rest of the JA albums. It shows you how fast things changed over a short time. That first album is all about so-called folk rock and Marty's songs.

We used to call it Blows....

I  wonder what China is doing now.

Another sad day.  JA was my favorite SF band by far.  The Airplane were a great band which gets little recognition any more.

LouieB

I know it's just a matter of personal taste, but The Airplane doesn't come close to The Dead for me - the dynamics aren't nearly as pronounced to my ears. It's like The Airplane live is everybody playing loud nearly all the time (obviously there are exceptions, "Fat Angel" being a good example).  There's very little space between the notes - not a lot of air in what's going on between everyone onstage. Don't get me wrong - I love 'em but they don't do it at all like The Dead does. I guess no one does  :rolleyes  It's arguable that during that 65-70 period The Dead were the least "professional" of all those SF bands - hell they would fall apart A LOT then. You don't hear JA or QMS doing much of that. But I guess that's part of their charm  :lol

• 1 month later...

I don't think I have ever heard Bark, Long John Silver, Thirty Seconds Over Winterland, Spitfire, or any of the rest. Except for that album Earth. And maybe a few songs such as Pretty As You Feel.

I don't think I have ever heard Bark, Long John Silver, Thirty Seconds Over Winterland, Spitfire, or any of the rest. Except for that album Earth. And maybe a few songs such as Pretty As You Feel.

Of those, I suggest you give Thirty Seconds Over Winterland a spin. If not just for the Jorman/Hot Tuna songs, Feel So Good and Trial By Fire.

I've never really listened to Hot Tuna - except for Youtube videos I have watched a time or two. 

Jane and Find Your Way Back.

Saw them in Gainesville in like 85.

Did you enjoy dancing to We Built this City?

I've never really listened to Hot Tuna - except for Youtube videos I have watched a time or two. 

Boy, being in high school on LI not far from NYC in early-mid '70's, Hot Tuna was our #1 band.  Even more so than the Dead. Still see Jorma and Jack anytime I can.  It's been a lifelong relationship.  I actually had tears in my eyes watching their acoustic set at Lockn' last year.  I was right up front and could see a whole bunch of musicians standing on the side of the stage watching their entire set.  Dave Schools actually took out his phone and was videoing Jack during his bass solo. 

Anyhow, after catching up on Thirty Seconds, for some classic Hot Tuna, check out any (really all) of the first 4 albums: acoustic, First Pull Up, Burgers (maybe the best) and Phosphorescent Rat.  And Jorma's solo album Quah.  And this 1973 video from Brooklyn.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ucti8H6cCZk

I could go on and on, but I'll stop.