Wow, in the string of rock n roll deaths 2016 has brought, this is a big one for me.  One of my first really favorite bands as an aware teenager in high school, spent countless hours listening to the magic of Jefferson Airplane.  I still do.  Fly Jefferson Airplane.  Hope Paul's in a flying toaster 30 Seconds Over Winterland.

I was just thinking about him the other day. I recall reading that he missed some shows last year due to health problems.

Surrealistic Pillow through Volunteers are some of my favorite albums from that time period.

I was just thinking about him the other day. I recall reading that he missed some shows last year due to health problems.

Surrealistic Pillow through Volunteers are some of my favorite albums from that time period.

He had a serious heart attack in 2015, and apparently another one recently.

Bless It's Pointed Little Head is one of my top live albums of all time.  I agree about Surrealistic>Volunteers.  I would also add Blows Against the Empire.

Damn.

I have an original pressing of that album.

I recall see torrents up of Jefferson Starship shows last year and wondering why he was not playing. I think the last thing I read was about some award they were given for playing shows for the troops or something like that.

There are some good interviews out there to watch where he talks about the history of the JA and the history of San Francisco rock in general. I can't say I always agreed with some of his ideas - but he did always seem to speak his mind.

Just finally gotten around to watch that Live at the Family Dog DVD from 1970 a couple of days ago --- after I watched it, my biggest take out of the film was Kanter's performance throughout it - his guitar playing and demeanor -- I though it was great. 

This obit in the NY Times pretty much hits the nail on the head

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/29/arts/music/paul-kantner-of-jefferson-airplane-dies-at-74.html?_r=0

And for those who may not be familiar with Blows, I suggest you give it a listen.  From the same sessions that produced Crosby's "If I Could Only Remember My Name."  The recording engineer, Steve Barncard, has written extensively about those sessions. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEdPfHBXqNc

I didn't realize Blows and If I Could Only remember My Name were intertwined like that.  I put Blows in my weed out pile last year.  Hopefully it's still there so I can revisit it.  I might decide to keep it.

That makes me think of the PERRO Sessions

I think that's what they were.  At Wally Heider's studio.  Same time period as the American Beauty sessions.  Barncard was in the right place at the right time.

I didn't realize Blows and If I Could Only remember My Name were intertwined like that.  I put Blows in my weed out pile last year.  Hopefully it's still there so I can revisit it.  I might decide to keep it.

You can revisit it in that YouTube link I posted above.  That's one album I would never think to weed out.  Give it a second thought.

Wow, in the string of rock n roll deaths 2016 has brought, this is a big one for me.  One of my first really favorite bands as an aware teenager in high school, spent countless hours listening to the magic of Jefferson Airplane.  I still do.  Fly Jefferson Airplane.  Hope Paul's in a flying toaster 30 Seconds Over Winterland.

Me too! Worst so far for me.

I think that's what they were.  At Wally Heider's studio.  Same time period as the American Beauty sessions.  Barncard was in the right place at the right time.

You can revisit it in that YouTube link I posted above.  That's one album I would never think to weed out.  Give it a second thought.

I think I have those on discs somewhere. Of course, there are now various versions of what's out there on Youtube now. 

That guy got great sounds. 

We used to call it Blows....

I  wonder what China is doing now.

Another sad day.  JA was my favorite SF band by far.  The Airplane were a great band which gets little recognition any more.

LouieB

Her name is China. And you can see her act in a not so great film called The Stoned Age. She was also in Airheads and various TV shows. Also - MTV.

Yeah - just did a google search and I definitely remember her being on MTV -- guess I just never realized who were parents were.

Saw JA in 89. Nostalgia trip but still fun. RIP Paul!

I'm gonna spin Blows or Volunteers tonite (tied for favorite from his output)