Day of the Dead-The National curated GD tribute album

Fucked Up's Cream Puff War is done pretty well. Both heavy and psychedelic. 

Not sure about the Flaming Lips' cover of Dark Star. Wayne is pulling it in more of a Syd Barrett direction. I'm still waiting for a gospel version of Dark Star. Give it to Mavis next time.

I dislike the Lucinda cover of Goin' down the road feelin bad...although the mood is truer to the lyrics than the gd version....

Me too.  As a big fan, I'm disappointed I don't like her contribution.

Have I already noted I can't listen to the version of Black Peter?

Deadicated was a pretty safe, mainstream album. Pretty much straightforward covers of their most popular songs. This album gets more into the experimental weirdness and diversity in their sound. Rosemary, What's Become of the Baby, King Solomon, three Dark Stars, etc. There's a lot that falls flat, but all in all, probably 2 plus hours of good music in here. 

Deadicated was a pretty safe, mainstream album. Pretty much straightforward covers of their most popular songs. 

Hmmm. Jane's Addiction's "Ripple" (possibly the best GD cover ever, imo) is nothing like a straightforward take on an original. A Reggae take on "Estimated" (not necessarily a huge leap, but still), the Dr. John New Orleans-style "Deal," etc. 

Hmmm. Jane's Addiction's "Ripple" (possibly the best GD cover ever, imo) is nothing like a straightforward take on an original. A Reggae take on "Estimated" (not necessarily a huge leap, but still), the Dr. John New Orleans-style "Deal," etc. 

Agree on Ripple, but otherwise, agree to disagree.

the Vile/Mascis, Bonnie Prince Billy and Yo La Tengo songs on DotD are excellent.

Agree with all that, especially the Bonnie Prince Billy tracks, of whom I had not heard of before this release. His version of Ruben and Cherise is sweet.  As was Sunday night's version at the Cap with Warren and Krasno:

http://www.jambase.com/article/pro-shot-video-phil-lesh-friends-plays-reuben-cerise-capitol-theatre