Day of the Dead-The National curated GD tribute album

The full track listing was announced.  59 tracks.  Unbelievable list of artists and songs.  

Wilco w/Bob Weir live

Courtney

Real Estate

The War on Drugs

Flaming Lips

Kurt Vile

Jim James

The National

The Walkmen

Grizzly Bear

Angel Olsen

Local Natives

Phosphorescent

TV on the Radio

Perfume Genius

Bela Fleck

etc. etc.

I am super excited for this release, check it out:

http://dayofthedeadmusic.com/

http://dayofthedeadmusic.com/downloads/DOTD_Digital-Booklet.pdf

much respect to this well deserved nod to a rich cannon of a phenomenal band with an illustrious history.

I believe(guess) many renditions will remain true to form out of respect to the music. The production and instrumentation should differentiate, but the tribute will hopefully remain faithful to the artistic vision and purpose. I very much applaud the effort and appreciation being put forth by the artists involved.

Hell, I'm still discovering those very things in the music that the band itself has given us. I don't expect to consume this. Too much of of an embarrassment of riches that have yet to be discovered.

"But i tryyyyy..."

I believe(guess) many renditions will remain true to form out of respect to the music. The production and instrumentation should differentiate, but the tribute will hopefully remain faithful to the artistic vision and purpose. I very much applaud the effort and appreciation being put forth by the artists involved.

I'd much rather hear the artists' interpretations rather than a rote recital.

Not a Dead fan by any means but I'll be getting this. Oneida doing Drums/Space should be wild.

Not a Dead fan by any means but I'll be getting this. Oneida doing Drums/Space should be wild.

I agree. The Deadicated was a great release for this reason - many of the artist put their own 'brand' on it and made the tunes sound great in different way.

Many faithful renditions of tunes seem to bore me, would rather have a band/artist completely deconstruct a tune and make it their own.

Agree. Jane's doing "Ripple" is a great example, too. I listened to the "New Speedway" last night and, although the gal has a great voice, it was pretty rote. I also heard a band called The War on Drugs do "Touch of Grey,"too and although the cheesy keyboards from the album version are on there, there was a twist and personable touch to it. Well done (although my wife thought he was trying to sound like Bob Dylan)...

War on Drugs have a real heavy Dylan in the 80's sound from what I've heard. Heavy Springsteen influence too. I'm not a big fan, but liked the cover probably the most of those released. The others didn't leave much of an impression on me. 

Malkamus's China>Rider is supposed to be pretty wicked. Looking forward to that, and some of the more experimental, jamming tracks. 

Being a big Courtney Barnett fan, and given that New Speedway Boogie is among my favorite Dead tunes, I've listened to that track several times.  My take is that Courtney makes that song her own, it is not by any means a copycat rendition.

A lot of people say that War on Drugs (or at least the lead singer) sounds like Dylan - i still don't see it. Haven't heard their version of Touch of Grey.

Well let's cure that.  Give it a listen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72OLupNWNho

Not a Dead fan by any means but I'll be getting this.

Warms my heart  :guitar  :twitchsmile

• 1 month later...

Pitchfork has put out a nice spread. Guess we can say the Grateful Dead has officially jumped the shark. Kidding - kind of. It is cool that the youngins are coming around and they are focusing on the actual music and not only the scene.

http://pitchfork.com/features/article/9888-grateful-dead-live-on-why-the-legendary-band-still-matters/

• 2 weeks later...

This set didn't really appeal to me until I saw The National perform 'Morning Dew' on The Late Show. I'm liking what I'm hearing so far. There's something just perfect about J Mascis' voice and 'Box of Rain.' 

I've had my box for a few days now. Slowly working my way through it. So many excellent tracks: Touch, Dew, FOTD, Box, Courtney's take on New Speedway!, Wilco/Weir on St. Stephen, The National/Weir in Rider. So much still to hear. So far the only cut I really did not like is Black Peter, that is terrible.

Dang, I hope the version of New Speedway is better on the album! I just watched a bit of Courtney B. performing it on Fallon. I didn't know it was possible to take one of Jerry's most dynamic songs and turn it into such a snoozefest. I honestly could not get past the first minute. Oh well. Not trying to be a buzzkill...if people dig it, that's cool.
On the bright side, I see that Pink, of all people, has covered White Rabbit for the new Tim Burton movie. I saw a video of her playing it live in some park, and really did it justice! Pleasant surprise.

Dang, I hope the version of New Speedway is better on the album! I just watched a bit of Courtney B. performing it on Fallon. I didn't know it was possible to take one of Jerry's most dynamic songs and turn it into such a snoozefest. I honestly could not get past the first minute. Oh well. Not trying to be a buzzkill...if people dig it, that's cool.

On the bright side, I see that Pink, of all people, has covered White Rabbit for the new Tim Burton movie. I saw a video of her playing it live in some park, and really did it justice! Pleasant surprise.

I don't think you will find it to be much different on the album. Which is fine by me as I very much like her take.

Dang, I hope the version of New Speedway is better on the album! I just watched a bit of Courtney B. performing it on Fallon. I didn't know it was possible to take one of Jerry's most dynamic songs and turn it into such a snoozefest.

I thought the same thing with the album version. While its not bad, per se, and she does have a nice voice, there's nothing original or dynamic about it at all. Very safe. I've yet to listen to the whole album but yeah, not impressed with that particular cut.