Tweedy - 21 March 2016, Melbourne, Australia (Melbourne Recital Centre)

[Tweedy set:]

Hazel

Fake Fur Coat

Diamond Light

Flowering

Honeycombed

Summer Noon

World Away

New Moon

High as Hello

Wait For Love (Jeff said this was about abstinence after hearing a crying baby somewhere down the back of the venue, then after said he was only kidding)

Love Like A Wire

Low Key

Nobody Dies Anymore

[Jeff solo set]

Via Chicago

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart

New Madrid

Remember The Mountain Bed

Hummingbird

Born Alone

Jesus etc

I'm The Man

Passenger Side

A Shot In The Arm

[Tweedy band rejoin at this point:]

Please Don't Let Me Be So Understood

Only The Lord Knows

Encore:

The Losing End 

California Stars

Queen Bitch (Bowie cover, w/ Courtney Barnett)

Also on the setlist but not played: One Wing after IATTBYH, Spiders after Hummingbird, Give Back The Key To My Heart after the Losing End, and Five Years (maybe they figured my youtube video was enough!)

:wave

phew, just got home. great show as usual. the setlist above is spot on. some people from here took a pic of it if they want to post it. one thing i noticed was that the songs from Tweedy sound a lot more powerful when done on stage. to me, the album sounds a bit stale, but now they've come alive. spencer sounds a lot more forceful.

some funny moments came up. there was jeff hearing a baby crying at one point and that caught him by surprise.

also pretty early in the set, jeff noticed a bunch of people in the middle that kept ducking off to the toilet while pushing past everyone else. "do you have to gop to the bathroom that much? - at least you'd know what to do if there was a fire!"

he also mentioned about the previous show where he ducked off stage quickly and the crowd went dead silent. he mentioned his motto (cant remember exactly what", but he said that if people want him to leave, he'll play even longer! 

as he was introducing a song from their first album (passenger side), someone yelled PASSENGER SIDE!. the response was "ah, stop fucking with me. dont try to pretend like you've heard the album!. he then played ITMWLY instead, but he quickly played passenger side right after it. then he said well, that makes one person happy. i yelled out AIRLINE TO HEAVEN!, and then he looked at me and said "2 people"

the support act, (Those Pretty Wrongs), were ok. sort of acoustic and folky. they played Thirteen, from the big star days

good time had by our usual crowd in the front row. now its time to bring the whole band over

So so awesome that Courtney joined them for Queen Bitch! Wow! No video of that, I guess? Did they split the vocals or did CB mostly sing? Whatever the case, that must have ruled. :rock

Sounds like you guys are getting a re-energized Tweedy band, which is great. They all really love playing together, I think, and probably cherish the times that they get to do so. Wonder if there will be a different Bowie cover every night...haha! Probably not, but one can hope. Too bad you were only lukewarm on Those Pretty Wrongs. Jody is one of the nicest, most generous musicians around and I've been hoping to see this new project. I always wonder if Big Star is as highly regarded outside of the U.S. and the U.K. I know TPW are not Big Star by any stretch, but I guess I just wonder if that legacy is as pervasive among the music diehards as it is here.

Anyway, thanks for the detailed reports thus far, guys! :thumbup

So so awesome that Courtney joined them for Queen Bitch! Wow! No video of that, I guess? Did they split the vocals or did CB mostly sing? Whatever the case, that must have ruled. :rock

Sounds like you guys are getting a re-energized Tweedy band, which is great. They all really love playing together, I think, and probably cherish the times that they get to do so. Wonder if there will be a different Bowie cover every night...haha! Probably not, but one can hope. Too bad you were only lukewarm on Those Pretty Wrongs. Jody is one of the nicest, most generous musicians around and I've been hoping to see this new project. I always wonder if Big Star is as highly regarded outside of the U.S. and the U.K. I know TPW are not Big Star by any stretch, but I guess I just wonder if that legacy is as pervasive among the music diehards as it is here.

Anyway, thanks for the detailed reports thus far, guys! :thumbup

They shared the vocals, taking turns with verses. I wish I'd taken my camera last night to record it, but the Recital Centre is notorious for being camera nazis, so with the expectation we'd get a repeat of Five Years and already capturing it the previous night, I left the camera at home. Of course, before the show started they actually announced taking photos was permitted! Clearly there's been a change in policy because I've been to many shows there where even the siting of a phone or a camera would result in a high powered flashlight being shone in your face.

I really enjoyed Those Pretty Wrongs. Awesome acoustic pop melodies, which is my thing. And of course a great version of Thirteen to close out their set didn't hurt :)

What an awesome show. The comment above about the Sukirae songs being richer in the live setting is spot on. They really came alive compared to the album versions.

I also loved how they gave Only The Lord Knows a more rocking treatment than the album version. Was good to see Jeff's solo set...I was so impressed with how he recreated so much of IATTBYH in the solo acoustic setting. Being a huge Neil Young fan, it was really a treat to hear Losing End, which was not only a perfect choice for this set and band but also perfectly performed. The Bowie cover was fantastic too and surprise guest CB (big fan of her as well) was the icing on the cake. Jeff intro'd it with "we're gonna finish with a David Bowie song. It's been a few months since he passed but the pain is still there".

Jeff was in top form with the banter:

-"this going to be a long show tonight. My motto is: 'Leave them wanting less' "

-"this is an interesting seat layout. All you people in the middle of the rows...I hope you don't need to go to the bathroom. It will be so disruptive to walk past so many people. If i was in your position I wouild start pancking"

Plenty of other funny stuff which escapes me now...hope someone recorded this gig.

• 3 months later...