The Mamas and The Papas did a great version of Glad To Be Unhappy. I bought some Gabor Szabo and Chico Hamilton cds a while back. I generally don't listen to such things - but that is some great music. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CNY3-gkw74
From Nels facebook page:
" "Beautiful Love," a first listen from 'Lovers' - out August 5th on Blue Note Records: youtu.be/2CNY3-gkw74

A double-album featuring originals, standards and covers, 'Lovers' offers an update on the 'mood music' idea and ideal, challenging our iconic notion of romance along the way. It was recorded with an ensemble of 23, and conducted and arranged by Michael Leonhart.

Download "Beautiful Love" instantly with preorder: smarturl.it/NelsClineStore
Full tracklist and personnel: nelscline.com/lovers "

• 1 month later...

From Nels' Facebook page:

"Dear world - 

It has come to my attention that, owing to a manufacturing snafu in Santa's summer jazz workshop, the physical release of my forthcoming double album called "Lovers" will be delayed - CD out on Aug. 19 and vinyl out on Sept. 2. >SIGH

There will be a small heap of compact disc versions for sale and signing at the Newport Jazz Festival-NJF, where we will unveil several of these pieces on Sunday morning. For those of you not attending the festival, please be understanding and enjoy the full album digitally on Aug. 5 plus the songs released in advance that have been posted while you are waiting: nelscline.com

Thank you all!

XO
Nels Cline"

Nice piece on Nels and Lovers in today's WSJ. I don't subscribe, picked up the paper in a hotel, so I can't post a link.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the heads up -- looking forward to this release - looks interesting.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/wilcos-nels-cline-channels-henry-mancini-in-an-offbeat-jazz-album-1470153173

• 4 weeks later...

Had to pull out the most interesting quote to me and put it here:

"a lot of Star Wars and a considerable amount of this new record, a lot of the guitar work that you hear is Jeff, not me, that’s prominent"

Do you think he feels silly calling it Schmilco so he just calls it the new record?

From Nels' facebook:

We regret to share that Lovers vinyl has been further delayed. We’re told the additional delay time will be an additional 4-6 weeks. We share in your frustration, and assure you we are doing everything we can to speed the manufacturing process.

A note from Nels:

Vinyl. Everybody is clamoring for it, and really, "Lovers" is a true vinyl-type of release. But the problems of vinyl are many, and quality is paramount and difficult to achieve. This, along with the odd and often frustrating machinations of "business", is further delaying your copy of "Lovers" on double vinyl. Without getting too into it (and without showing you all the hair I have ripped out of my head blowing across the streets of Seattle where I am at the time of this writing) I will just say IT'S COMING. And just so you know, I don't even have a copy!

XO
Nels

Someone commented on his post claiming that their store has the vinyl in stock and available for purchase.  What is that all about?  A physical leak of an unapproved pressing?  A lying record store owner trying to trick people into doing business with him?  

• 2 weeks later...

My copy arrived last week, but it wasn't until yesterday that I finally played it. I thought it was really incredible. The "cover tunes", for lack of a better word, appear to run in chronological order, with some Nels originals mixed in. It'll take several listens to digest, but my first impression is that Nels and his team really knocked it out of the park.  It's certainly different than what you might expect if you were a fan of, say, the Nels Cline Singers, Interstellar Space Revisited, or Destroy All Nels Cline.  This is the only Nels album that you could get away with playing when family comes over for Thanksgiving.

This is the only Nels album that you could get away with playing when family comes over for Thanksgiving.

I've only listened once, but like this take. To me, the interesting thing is that while it's easier to "consume" it's no less complicated to the careful listener. There's a lot going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've only listened once, but like this take. To me, the interesting thing is that while it's easier to "consume" it's no less complicated to the careful listener. There's a lot going on.

Yes, I picked up on this.  Since I mentioned Destroy All Nels Cline, toward the end of Lovers (I forget which song), some of what the orchestra plays is very reminiscent of one of the tracks from Destroy All. (Maybe it's the same song on both albums...not sure, I'll have to compare track listings.)  But the difference in instrumentation makes for an interesting contrast in timbre and tonality.  What sounds really dark and scary on Destroy All sounds more subtly brooding on Lovers.  Nicely done!