To Keep you Occupied Until Schmilco is Out - A Game of Sorts

Ok, here are the new song titles:

CnmMfMIWEAATxZh.jpg

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is this: choose a song* (*Excepting the 2 that we've heard, "Locator" and "If I Ever Was A Child").
Now, tell us how you envision that song. Go into detail, from your imagination. Does "Nope" strike you as a brash, kickass "I'm a Wheel" sort of song? Or is it more along the lines of a gorgeous, yearning thing that reminds of "She's a Jar"? Wheel or Jar? Or nothing like either? What does your imagination say, from the titles alone?
Go ahead and weigh in with your speculations! The real fun will begin when we actually hear the songs, and we can see who totally nailed it and who (hysterically?) couldn't have guessed more wrongly! 

I give you this game out of my own impatience! I want to know how these sound. Any psychics amongst you, feel free to predict. :)

Best of all, it will take all of our minds off of this damned election.

I'm expecting "Shrug and Destroy" to be a bit skronky and nasty, whereas "Just Say Goodbye" will probably continue the trend of misty-eyed weepers-as-closers on Wilco records since Sky Blue Sky.

What's the line, "joyfully miserable" or something like that? And Something about Jeff's public image and how that impacts his sense of identity?

Given that some of the lyrics we've already heard makes it sound like he's a bit tired of being under the rock-star microscope, I'd guess that "Just Say Goodbye" is his farewell song to his fans, that the tour will be a farewell tour and Wilco will slip into retirement.

Given that some of the lyrics we've already heard makes it sound like he's a bit tired of being under the rock-star microscope, I'd guess that "Just Say Goodbye" is his farewell song to his fans, that the tour will be a farewell tour and Wilco will slip into retirement.

This was a suspicion of mine as well. Since the prospect of Wilco reverting back into a quartet is awfully remote, this has been in the back of my mind for a while. 

Jeff does the solo thing with Spencer.

John and Pat continue on with the Autumn Defence.

Glenn does everything.

Nels does whatever he likes.

Mikael does something else.

Wow, that got dark fast. I don't see that at all myself. Can't a guy be a bit grouchy about some daily stuff without it meaning he's breaking up the band? This seems to come up every now and again. So far it's been nothing but a rumor among fans.

I think the band is in a super happy place right now.

This was a suspicion of mine as well. Since the prospect of Wilco reverting back into a quartet is awfully remote, this has been in the back of my mind for a while. 

Jeff does the solo thing with Spencer.

John and Pat continue on with the Autumn Defence.

Glenn does everything.

Nels does whatever he likes.

Mikael does something else.

I was actually thinking about this the other day in reference to the quote from Ashes of American Flags where Jeff says that Wilco could survive another lineup change, just not John leaving. I wondered if Jeff still believed that or if this is the final version of Wilco to him (not implying that is a bad thing). Obviously we are not in the studio with them, but Star Wars did seem like less of a cohesive effort, especially in light of the Song Exploder. Part of me hopes they semi-retire and just make a bunch of records almost like the Beatles post-touring. I mean, it would be a shame because I love their live show, but I feel like seeing them every other year at solid-sound only (I'm in the Boston area) would be a fine trade off if they played all three days.

OT: "We Aren't the World (Safety Girl)" I'm hoping is going to be more in the vein of "I'm A Wheel" or "Pickled Ginger". But it could also be more of a plaintive, thought provoking-type song as well.

Fwiw, Jeff has actually played what I think is Happiness before ... at Second City last year.

I jotted down a couple of lyrics at the time:

"My mother always says I'm great and it always makes me sad...

"So sad it's nothing/Happiness depends on who you blame/So sad it's nothing/Absolutely nothing."

I meant it half-jokingly, but if it did happen it wouldn't surprise me.  

And imagine the symmetry of the catalogue: from "I must be high" to "Just say goodbye" it could be from the same song...

Perhaps the two songs even have a similar sound?