Anyone been to Iceland?

I have not been, but a friend went last year and loved it. Highly recommends getting out into th country to see the glaciers, waterfalls, mountains etc... I belive there is a place where you can snorkel and have one hand on North America and the other on Europe. Though I would imagine that snorkeling in Iceland in April would be cold. Maybe a dry suit would work.

I went last April for about six days and had a blast.  We had an airbnb in Reykjavik but got out of the city both in our own rental car and on a tour bus.  (I'm generally not a fan of bus tours but this one was great.) We were probably never more than 100 miles from Reykjavik so we didn't see most of the country - but there's lots to see within two hours of Rekjavik.  You need to be a little careful that time of year because storms come in from the west really quickly and the weather can change suddenly.  And if you are really going off-road exploring in a car, be sure to get one that is rated for F roads.  I wish we had better weather when we were in the big national park (Thingvellir) because it was impressive.  Happy to answer more specific questions.  

My wife and I spent 16 days in Iceland in June of 2016. I highly recommend going. We rented a camper van and went all aroundthe island. You'll love it. A week, you say? Vik is a good choice. Also, close to Reykjavik is a national park which was the site of the first Alting (I think I spelled correctly...), plus you can see tectonic plates! Very cool. I'm in St. Augustine until Tuesday, but I'll get you the name of the park and a couple other one week recommendations. Cheers

Yes, Thingvellir. Thanks, Tim. So close to Reykjavik, it doesn't aualify as a day trip.

I assume that you're doing the Golden Circle, so that will include Thingvellir National Park ( go, even if not driving the Golden Circle. It's beautiful, historic and scientific), Geysir and Gullfoss. As far as venturing out further with your extra time, Vik, as you mentioned, would be a great choice. The sea stacks at Reynisdrangur are amazing, plus Mytdalassandur, just east, is worth the time, with black-lava sand. The drive is gorgeous. If you can get as far east as Jokulsarlon, do it. Beautiful drive, but the glacier lagoon shouldn't be missed. Truly awe-inspiring.

You should also consider going west with your extra time to Snaefellsnes Peninsula. Snaefellsjokull National Park is the main attraction but you hit the highlights on the drive around the peninsula. Lots of lava fields, craggy, windy beaches, the town of Stykkisholmur is a gorgeous harbor town. The peninsula is doable from Reykjavik as a day trip, but if you can spend a night, do it. Going west instead of east on a week stay, is less common, but you'll see sights that many short time visitors won't.

Wherever you go, you won't regret it. Everywhere you look, you'll be amazed at the jaw-dropping beauty. As I said, we spent 16 days driving all around in June of 2016, but plan on going back soon.

One more tip. If you drink, consider buying alcohol at the airport duty free store. Beer, wine and liquor there is a third to one half the price of what you'll pay in the Vinbudin, the government store. Going out for drinks can blow your budget, but most bars in every town have happy hour specials.

Enjoy!

Whale Watching is a must, i've done it multiple times but in iceland was the best, whales came super close to us and you can see flocks of puffins out at sea,

Golden Circle is a must too

ALSO TRY THEIR HOT DOGS

and listen to some good icelandic music eg. Sigur ros and bjork.

:)

Ah yes I’m a big fan of both Björk and Sigur Ros seen them both multiple times :)

Reykjavik airport has great bathrooms. Like little suites. But other than that, not much experience as it's always just a stop on the way to Scotland.

never pissed or dumped there, but that airport design is a goddamned mess.

no 'gates' so to speak of, just random places to congregate to grab a bus that takes you to your flight. when we left, the airport was totally jammed, and there were two flights (boston, toronto) using the same area that were leaving at the same time. people were all confused.

I was there for 1 week in 2014, a round trip through the island searching for gyrfalcons, loons, puffins and other bird delicatessen for a mediterranean guy...As for cities, apart from Reikiavik,I liked Akureyri, the 2nd largest city I think. But it is nature what you will go for there. Like others, I will return as soon as I can. Good advice above on alcohol, very expensive in hostels...