Anything new in 2018?

I've taken for granted Tweedy productivity. I kind of took Wilco winding down for a year off the road as an obvious pause where some other project would come out. Don't get me wrong, the new Mavis album is great, two Wilco records in a short time was awesome, and Together at Last was a nice addition.

I'm just kind of surprised we haven't heard of something new coming up this year. Perhaps we've been spoiled, and a period of nothing to report (save some solo dates) is pretty normal in the scheme of things.

You're not wrong, we have been spoiled!! Jeff's been on one of his most prolific runs in his career.

2014: Sukierae (a double album!!)

2015: Star Wars
2016: Schmilco

2017: If All I Was Was Black (bonus: Together At Last)

Not only is that four album's worth of original JT songs in four years, it's also, IMHO, his best four album stretch in a long time. So I'd be very understanding and supporting if he wants to take a break for most of the year.

*puts on tinfoil hat*

But something tells me we're getting another Tweedy album. His solo 2018 announced shows all suspiciously fall just outside of a college student's summer vacation ....almost like he's waiting for someone!! (I'm assuming summer break starts end of June in the US college? If not, it's still pretty close). Plus I feel like it's something that has been mentioned in interviews recently. I imagine if Tweedy (the band not the man) will tour this summer we'll get confirmation soon with an album announcement. Or maybe they'd tour without a new album.

I feel like I talked about this somewhere else on here recently, apologies if I just repeated myself!!

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw a bunch of solo dates that were added. I wonder if that's a sign they'll be in conjunction with a new release to support, or just the reverse: nothing is coming out so he's staying sharp and trying to get some late promotion in for the acoustic record.

Nothing like a quiet time in the Wilco camp to get me overthinking things.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for sharing nalafej.

Google Translate does some really great stuff, check out this line:

Last summer in Pori Jazz, American band Wilco's sweatshirt Jeff Tweedy announced on their interviews that their drummers moved to Finland.

Also according to Google at one point Glenn just slides out a window mid interview. If that's not rock'n'roll I don't know what is.

Is Glenn in exile in Finland for the summer?

His wife, who’s half Finnish, won a Fulbright scholarship, so their family relocated there for most of 2018. One fairly significant reason for Wilco’s hiatus this year.

I'm hoping Jeff's memoir will be released some time this year. Not sure if that's the plan, but I've been excited about it since it was announced.

They should have planned to move the whole operation to Finland for the spring/summer.  I am sure they could have found recording studio there. O'Rourke could have left Japan for a while to help engineer/produce. 

Could have came up with a nifty Finland-related record title, too. 

They should have planned to move the whole operation to Finland for the spring/summer.  I am sure they could have found recording studio there. O'Rourke could have left Japan for a while to help engineer/produce. 

Could have came up with a nifty Finland-related record title, too. 

Is Jim just not coming back to America?? 

Is Jim just not coming back to America??

I don’t have any particular knowledge, but I doubt he would come back at this point unless he had to for some reason like family. But I think he’s pretty content being over there.

I was just listening to some Loose Fur today and wondering if that long-rumored third record will ever see the light of day. Pretty sure the music has been recorded, but Jeff said a while ago that it was a matter of writing lyrics for some of the songs...

I don’t have any particular knowledge, but I doubt he would come back at this point unless he had to for some reason like family. But I think he’s pretty content being over there.

I was just listening to some Loose Fur today and wondering if that long-rumored third record will ever see the light of day. Pretty sure the music has been recorded, but Jeff said a while ago that it was a matter of writing lyrics for some of the songs...

maybe Woody's granddaughter has some extras still laying around.

• 1 month later...