We saw him in Vegas two years ago and he was on fire! I think we got really lucky to see him 1. do a great setlist with plenty of classic songs from his past  and 2. see him fully engaged and living up to what he is capable of.   I've seen him before years ago in the 90s and I know his reputation for often seeming disinterested or moody in live performance.  I mean not really singing the old stuff with full passion and phrasing, mumbling lyrics instead, seeming to just go through the motions as if it were obligatory.  So I'd say its always a crapshoot what version of Van you will get, but if you catch him on a good night, he can play with the complete mastery and genius that he has at his best. How often that happens these days or even in the past 30 years, I don't really know.  I hope its a great one for ya!

We saw him in Vegas two years ago and he was on fire! I think we got really lucky to see him 1. do a great setlist with plenty of classic songs from his past  and 2. see him fully engaged and living up to what he is capable of.   I've seen him before years ago in the 90s and I know his reputation for often seeming disinterested or moody in live performance.  I mean not really singing the old stuff with full passion and phrasing, mumbling lyrics instead, seeming to just go through the motions as if it were obligatory.  So I'd say its always a crapshoot what version of Van you will get, but if you catch him on a good night, he can play with the complete mastery and genius that he has at his best. How often that happens these days or even in the past 30 years, I don't really know.  I hope its a great one for ya!

thanks shug. from feedback i've gotten, it seems he has been more consistently great the past few years. very engaged with a great band. the mini residency in vegas is a good thing. that's a great venue @ caesar's. i've seen Elton & Rod there. i'm sure they treat him like a king there. there weren't a lot of tickets left for the show. i got front row of the upper mezzanine, should be fine. sure is a lot going on in vegas that night. besides van: lady gaga, zz top, santana, puddles the clown. for giggles i checked out tickets for lady gaga. i like her. minimum $400. like her but not that much haha. i booked the trip less than 3 weeks in advance, got comped at mandalay bay for all 3 nights with a $50 food credit. nice not to have to wait much for trip! this will be one checked off the bucket list.

thanks shug. from feedback i've gotten, it seems he has been more consistently great the past few years. very engaged with a great band. the mini residency in vegas is a good thing. that's a great venue @ caesar's. i've seen Elton & Rod there. i'm sure they treat him like a king there. there weren't a lot of tickets left for the show. i got front row of the upper mezzanine, should be fine. sure is a lot going on in vegas that night. besides van: lady gaga, zz top, santana, puddles the clown. for giggles i checked out tickets for lady gaga. i like her. minimum $400. like her but not that much haha. i booked the trip less than 3 weeks in advance, got comped at mandalay bay for all 3 nights with a $50 food credit. nice not to have to wait much for trip! this will be one checked off the bucket list.

It's pretty amazing to me, as a fellow Atlantan of Mike Geier/Puddles.  I've seen him try countless gimmicks sicne the early '90s, and shared stages with a few of his routines.  None of them ever rose above local success, despite his obvious talent.  It's weird to see him mentioned alongside Van, ZZ Top, etc.  He's definitely earned his fame and hopefully won't be pigeonholed as a one trick pony. 

As for Van,  assuming he's still being backed up by Joey Defrancesco, I think having a "name" artist as his backing band, someone who does NOT need him for a job, has caused him to put real effort into his performances. I can't say that from first hand experience, but most reviews suggest he's been doing unusually good shows lately.

There is a version of "Philosophers Stone" on Youtube from the Jools Holland show that might be the coolest music clip on the Interweb. Piano player plays the intro and Van likes it so much he tells him "one more time". He looks like the ultimate maestro. Well worth checking out. A whole bunch of killer musicians on stage.  

Good to hear he is more consistent these days.  i should go again!  A buddy is going to one of the Vegas shows and wondered if he should go two nights.  He can afford it, so I said yeah it ups your chances for a good show or a rare song, but good to know he's likely to get two real good shows.

This is what he played two years ago, I was freaking stoked to here all the older songs!

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/van-morrison/2017/the-colosseum-at-caesars-palace-las-vegas-nv-3bf8ac4c.html

3.  (with Shana Morrison)

4. (
  • 2 weeks later...

has anyone seen Van in the last year or so? he's 1 of the faves I've never seen. i'm heading to vegas last weekend of the month & am going to finally see him. playing caesar's palace. is a good bday present to myself! ;)

How was the show? Just finished watching the below - don't remember ever watching before - man, it's great. (Into the Mystic)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpPSBzGEklE&feature=youtu.be

How was the show? Just finished watching the below - don't remember ever watching before - man, it's great. (Into the Mystic)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpPSBzGEklE&feature=youtu.be

Thanks. That is an excellent version.