Thai Cave Rescue Attempt

I don't know how much the rest of you are following this story, but this situation is claustrophobia-inducing just to read about. I can't imagine how it feels to live what those boys and their coach are experiencing.

Thoughts and prayers aren't the fashionable thing these days, but those kids are in mine. I hope by some blend of expertise, superhuman effort, and luck, the rescuers succeed.

Now that all 12 boys and their coach have been rescued, I can safely say that 'Thai Cave Rescue Attempt" would be a great title for Wilco's (or any band's) next album. 

To KevinG's point above, it is interesting how/why a story like the kids in the cave captivates so many people while a story like 3,000 kids at the Mexican border becomes accepted or a story like the boat that capsized off of Thailand on Saturday killing at least 44 people gets little to no attention.  

The Boston Globe had an opinion piece today on this issue:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2018/07/09/the-thai-teens-and-baby-well/GUNIR4mYKUQzIBIWgusf9O/story.html#comments

To KevinG's point above, it is interesting how/why a story like the kids in the cave captivates so many people while a story like 3,000 kids at the Mexican border becomes accepted or a story like the boat that capsized off of Thailand on Saturday killing at least 44 people gets little to no attention.  

It was a life-and-death drama that was unfolding by the hour and had nothing to do with partisan politics.

If I was a parent of one of those kids, I'd have that coach hoisted over my head by his short hairs right now.

Whether it's a cave or a cage, kids don't belong trapped in them. I am overjoyed that these boys and their coach are all safe. The odds seemed so stacked against them, and I can only imagine how exhausted their rescuers are. RIP to the diver who lost his life making sure these kids survived.

Now let's work on freeing the caged ones. Don't sit on the sidelines and watch. Each of us can help drive the changes that must happen. Do your bit.