Sweethearts of The Rodeo tour

Is anyone else going out of the minds with excitement about this 50th anniversary tour for The Byrds' Sweethearts of the Rodeo album with Chris Hillman and Roger McGuinn backed by Marty Stuart and his crack band?

So far I cannot make any of the dates but they keep promising to add more.  This is one I cannot miss.

Tangential Wilco connection: they are playing One Hundred Years From Now, still on my dream wishlist to hear Wilco play the shit out of.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/mcguinn-and-hillman/2018/the-theatre-at-ace-hotel-los-angeles-ca-4beb375e.html

So far the tour doesn't hit Chicago, which is a bummer. But Rolling Stone wrote that they are suppose to announce more dates.

Sweetheart of the Rodeo Tour

July 24 – Los Angeles, CA @ Ace Hotel
July 25 – Los Angeles, CA @ Ace Hotel
July 29 – Saratoga, CA @ Mountain Winery
September 17 – Albany, NY @ Hart Theater
September 18 – Albany, NY @ Hart Theater
September 20 – Hopewell, VA @ Beacon Theatre
September 24 – Boston, MA @ Emerson Colonial Theatre
September 26 – New York, NY @ Town Hall
October 3 – Akron, OH @ Akron Civic
October 8 – Nashville, TN @ Ryman Auditorium
October 10 – Roanoke, VA @ Jefferson Center

The below is pretty cool. Would love to hear and see that guitar in action.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/byrds-co-founders-plan-sweetheart-of-the-rodeo-50th-anniversary-tour-629457/

McGuinn and Hillman will also appear onstage together during Marty Stuart’s Late Night Jam at Nashville’s Ryman Auditorium on Wednesday; Stuart performs live with a 1954 Fender Telecaster previously owned by guitarist Clarence White, who played on Sweetheart of the Rodeo.

part of the problem scheduling the tour, I think, is that Marty Stuart already has a bunch of dates booked on his own, so this tour has to work around that.

I think Marty plays Clarence White's B-bender (or is it an E-bender?) guitar pretty regularly.  Check how hot they are on their own, with Kenny Vaughan on second guitar...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVMdwpcl3m4

In a review I read, it said that Crosby wanted to be a part and they are not interested (he was not in the group when they did SOTR).  He wont sign off on the use of the name.  You wont see Byrds anywhere on the tour advertise.

Sounds like an incredible show....doubt it will come to Florida.

Marty has been using the Clarence White guitar as his main electric with his Fabulous Superlatives band.   I just discovered his TV show, and it's been really good.  His band is as good as country/roots music get and Roger/Chris were very wise to do this tour with them as their backing band.

Just got the Royal Albert Hall 1971 set from the library --- it does sounds good. Didn't LouieB say he was at this show?

I think I like the Live at Fillmore -1969 better, though. 

The Royal Albert Hall set is good, too - though. The Jesus is Just Alright was an automatic skip for me -- what a dreadful song.

Just read that the Byrds were the first to cover it - prior to the Doobie Brothers - yikes. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, Hillman's website is not being updated, neither the Atlanta or Raleigh dates are listed.  Pollstar isn't accurate either, the Atlanta show is on there, the Raleigh one isn't.  It seems that Pollstar isn't consistent in how the shows are labeled by artists, sometimes calling it Chris Hillman with Roger McGuinn and sometimes Hillman with McGuinn and Marty Stuart.  Or you can search by Roger McGuinn and get a different set of incomplete dates.

Its hard to get info on this tour, I've found.  And frustrating that the dates are trickling in.  If I had had more notice I would've been able to go to the Los Angeles shows in July.

I don't know about a website.  Hell, the venue they're playing is some place nobody has ever heard of or knows anything about.  So the whole thing is a little mysterious.

Sandy Springs Performing Arts Center, right?  I have nothing to add other than I work right by there and have been watching them build it.  Buddy of mine has tickets to see Taj Majal there soon and I'm looking forward to getting the lowdown.  Hoping they get more shows of this caliber because it'll be great to go straight from work in the suburbs to a good show vs having to fight the traffic to get downtown.

Sandy Springs Performing Arts Center, right?  I have nothing to add other than I work right by there and have been watching them build it.  Buddy of mine has tickets to see Taj Majal there soon and I'm looking forward to getting the lowdown.  Hoping they get more shows of this caliber because it'll be great to go straight from work in the suburbs to a good show vs having to fight the traffic to get downtown.

City Springs, I think it's called.  Sounded like part of the city hall complex from what little I could find online.  I live in East Point, so it's a bit of a slog to get here for me.  Either 1/3 of the way around 285, or right through the middle of Downtown. But I suppose I can take Marta and Lyft from the station.