Tape Op interview with JT at the Loft

This interview was conducted at the Loft. It’s from the forthcoming issue with Jeff on the cover. There are lots of interesting nuggets, including Jeff’s somewhat surprising feelings about Summerteeth and what I read as hints of a more rocking album to come after Ode to Joy. It’s a long article. Dig in. https://tapeop.com/interviews/132/jeff-tweedy/

“You've got to find your guy. I feel like when you touch a knob, consciously you become less aware of the whole. If I touch a knob, all of a sudden I'm thinking about what this knob is doing. I find that to be distracting.” “I like not having that sensation where I'm drawn too deep inside of it by a knob.”

There is interesting sub-texting for sure! I will make a pass of link on to Professor from Stockholm.

Welfare!

“You've got to find your guy. I feel like when you touch a knob, consciously you become less aware of the whole. If I touch a knob, all of a sudden I'm thinking about what this knob is doing. I find that to be distracting.” “I like not having that sensation where I'm drawn too deep inside of it by a knob.”

There is interesting sub-texting for sure! I will make a pass of link on to Professor from Stockholm.

Welfare!

Oh Lotti, you naughty, naughty girl. Sometimes a knob is .... just a knob.

That was a great interview. But how do you not follow up and ask for more info when Jeff admits he wrote and recorded an entire album off Bob Dylan lyrics?! 

^^^ I had the same response as yours. I found this interview to be more revealing than many. It seems like the approach of delving into the process of recording, rather than the products, led to more insights into both the process and the products. The muscular drumming on Wilco (the Album) is one example of an insight I really appreciated.

• 1 month later...