So, Any Jay Bennett Fans Here?

Hi all, :wave

I'm not one to give a recommendation easily. But every now and then, something makes you feel such joy that you want to sing it to the heavens.  This is one of those. If you follow the band very closely at all, you may be aware of a film being created by accomplished filmmaker Gorman Bechard, called "Where Are You, Jay Bennett?"

The film's title is a poignant reference to friends who waited for Bennett in a park, with this sign, at a time when his faulty pain patch had already killed him, back in his apartment. His friends were happily impatient, not knowing he'd never again be with them. It breaks my heart, this story. He was so loved.

Gorman asked me if I would like to view the film, and (are you kidding?!!  :blink ) I leapt at the chance, even though it was a crazy-difficult week that included my dog's euthanasia (she had a vicious cancer) and my husband's and my own birthdays. Not to mention all the political insanity. So, yeah.  :spider3  A hard week with cake and impeachments and burials.

But then, this film.  :wub  :wub  :wub  I FINALLY got time to watch it, and the deeper in I got, the more absorbed I was. Omigod, it is beautiful, and pure heart. Interviews in depth with those who knew and loved Jay best, from family to friends to fellow musicians...this is a love letter to Jay. Wilco fans have no need to fear an ugly rehashing of Jay's acrimonious split from Wilco...this one hard chapter, in a life, is treated with decency and compassion that allows us to see both Jeff and Jay as the complex and very human beings they were. It's handled honestly and well.

But the bigger story is of a LIFE. The bigger story is just a pure celebration of Jay. And it makes me love him all over again. :guitar  :guitar  :guitar

You guys are going to love it as much as I do!   B)  If you EVER wished you had a mind like Jay Bennett's to guide you through threading your complicated new sewing machine, and even winding a bobbin, and switching to zigzag sewing, well then this is your movie! :uhoh Or if you wish you knew Jay Bennett's favorite childhood book (Don't even try to guess; but it's SO perfect)

Or if you just plain love and miss this magical man.

I cried for about the last 10 minutes of this fascinating and inspiring film, watching a photo montage as Jay sang. This is a genuine treasure, and I want everyone to get to see it. Gorman could use your support in this last stretch of a years-long process. Some of the last details include a bit more animation (it's gorgeous animation!) and sound balancing. Stuff's pricey. Hence the kickstarter.

This film needs to be seen widely. Wilco fans will love it. It is a beautiful tribute to a man gone far too soon! I know you will agree when you see it. I've seen it twice now and I have all my Jay Bennett cd's out to listen to. Listening to The Palace 1919 right now and it's perfect. :) Jay Bennett, never forgotten.

Please, if you are so moved, take a look at Gorman's site, and support this film. It's an hour-and-a-half when you will be absent from the current world, and soaked in musical magic. No lie. Take a look at the trailer, and please help us get this film completed. It'll be a loved part of your video library.

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.kickstarter.com%2Fprojects%2Fgormanbechard%2Fwhere-are-you-jay-bennett-documentary-needs-animation%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR2-TgIVLMKi5gnzTHLuA6VKcfO4R1KsOyCpbDaXm6px2PqWCOW-IeF7shU&h=AT0QaQGMgyIVRcKtcrK1tslLSlFApRowg0ck1rjnlIusHKCVm1AeKqek_vEi2eutPtB0CoJOcbIG78nIAQuFD3EO22XQzvj5vwhH33W0apFrbIuZDv_sQvOOS6SYnvKoQos

Full disclosure: Gorman is a friend, but we became friends in the first place because he's so brilliant!  :D He gets our favorite band.

I got to hang out with Jay twice. He was a really nice guy! My favorite time was when he toured with Edward Burch.. my friend and I arrived at TT the Bears in Boston early and as I walked in to grab my ticket Jay was playing pool. I said hey and then we had a nice 10 minute or so conversation. I remember during the show he played Venus stop the Train and My Darling which was awesome!

This will be the most important music-related thing I will see this year, hands down. So much of my life was/is tied up with Jay's music. 

At my daughter's Sweet 16 party we had a PA and I did a solo set and her brother did a set with his band, the Semi Legendary "Who Ya Burn".  :stunned . Anyway...I did "My Darling" and my whole family (including my mom and dad) were in tears. Hell, so was I! She was 'growing up too fast' - following my example haha - but I'm proud to say she's now a 29 year happily married mom, with the light of all of our lives being my grandson, Desmond Otto Rodriguez - aka "Crazy Otto".  :love

Thanks, Jay. You had a gift and a style that sucked me right in.

This will be the most important music-related thing I will see this year, hands down. So much of my life was/is tied up with Jay's music. 

At my daughter's Sweet 16 party we had a PA and I did a solo set and her brother did a set with his band, the Semi Legendary "Who Ya Burn".  :stunned . Anyway...I did "My Darling" and my whole family (including my mom and dad) were in tears. Hell, so was I! She was 'growing up too fast' - following my example haha - but I'm proud to say she's now a 29 year happily married mom, with the light of all of our lives being my grandson, Desmond Otto Rodriguez - aka "Crazy Otto".  :love

Scott, I got teary-eyed reading that, and you are exactly who this film is made for. Help with the kickstarter if you can. I can't wait for you to see it.  B)

I realize now that my post went way off topic and into the personal., which is how it is with those you truly admire. You relate on a personal level. There isn't a helluva  lot of people that make me feel like that. 

I hate to do a repeat of the Wilcopedia topic, but....

I backed the initial Kickstarter, coming on three years ago now, and I have to be honest, I've been pretty disappointed with the lack of updates. Especially since some of the few updates we have received have been promoting the filmmaker's other movies. For instance, in March 2018 he posted two updates, one saying they found new interviews of Jay and the other promoting a Kickstarter for an unrelated move. Then eight months later, we were told they were in the process of shooting a few more interviews and cutting the film. No updates to Kickstarter backers till March 2019 when he posted about a movie called Pizza A Love Story, and didn't even mention the Jay doc. No further updates till July 2019 when he posted that animation was taking a long time. So from March 2018 to now, we've had exactly one (vague) update about the film. This goes right through June 2019 which on the original Kickstarter was suppose to be when backers would receive their signed DVD. The release date came and went, eight months ago(!!!!!) with zero explanation. Looks like a trailer is posted on the new Kickstarter to help raise funds, but no footage, trailer or otherwise, has been sent to the original backers.

Now he's asking for MORE money, but has yet to post to the first Kickstarter about it and explain to the original backers why he needs more money. The new money is supposedly for animation but he was clearly working on animation last summer... so what changed?? According to the new Kickstarter this is for interviews discovered last year that were from "One while Wilco was recording Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, another from shortly after he was fired from the band, and the last from a few years later". Which sounds exactly like the update from almost two years ago in March 2018 where he said "Hours of never-before-heard interviews with Jay Bennett (during Wilco, right after the split, and a few years later)." So what was it, a year ago, or two years ago? Why is this taking so long? Why wasn't the original $28000 raised enough for animation since the movie, according to the creator, was already mostly shot and in the process of being edited before the original Kickstarter even happened? Where did that money go? 

The new Kickstater has a section called "What Happens If We Don't Reach Our Goal" but it only talks about your credit card not getting charged, it doesn't mention if this film will even happen or not. The new Kickstarter also threatens "So, let’s aim for $22,500 and there won't be a need for a third Kickstarter!", I should mention that $22500 is currently seven times what the Kickstarter is at with just over a week to go.

The whole thing has left a sour taste in my mouth.

But I am relieved to hear that kidsmoke liked what she saw. Was there Jay-era Wilco music? Were Jeff/John/Glenn interviewed? 

Ok, now I'm just plain jealous! What an amazing first Wilco concert! I hope somewhere you've got a slice of deli tray salami, pressed in a book or something.

Ha ha no I don’t but Jeff crowd surfed over me during box full of letters and I still have my ticket stub so that’s good

I hate to do a repeat of the Wilcopedia topic, but....

I backed the initial Kickstarter, coming on three years ago now, and I have to be honest, I've been pretty disappointed with the lack of updates. Especially since some of the few updates we have received have been promoting the filmmaker's other movies. For instance, in March 2018 he posted two updates, one saying they found new interviews of Jay and the other promoting a Kickstarter for an unrelated move. Then eight months later, we were told they were in the process of shooting a few more interviews and cutting the film. No updates to Kickstarter backers till March 2019 when he posted about a movie called Pizza A Love Story, and didn't even mention the Jay doc. No further updates till July 2019 when he posted that animation was taking a long time. So from March 2018 to now, we've had exactly one (vague) update about the film. This goes right through June 2019 which on the original Kickstarter was suppose to be when backers would receive their signed DVD. The release date came and went, eight months ago(!!!!!) with zero explanation. Looks like a trailer is posted on the new Kickstarter to help raise funds, but no footage, trailer or otherwise, has been sent to the original backers.

Now he's asking for MORE money, but has yet to post to the first Kickstarter about it and explain to the original backers why he needs more money. The new money is supposedly for animation but he was clearly working on animation last summer... so what changed?? According to the new Kickstarter this is for interviews discovered last year that were from "One while Wilco was recording Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, another from shortly after he was fired from the band, and the last from a few years later". Which sounds exactly like the update from almost two years ago in March 2018 where he said "Hours of never-before-heard interviews with Jay Bennett (during Wilco, right after the split, and a few years later)." So what was it, a year ago, or two years ago? Why is this taking so long? Why wasn't the original $28000 raised enough for animation since the movie, according to the creator, was already mostly shot and in the process of being edited before the original Kickstarter even happened? Where did that money go? 

The new Kickstater has a section called "What Happens If We Don't Reach Our Goal" but it only talks about your credit card not getting charged, it doesn't mention if this film will even happen or not. The new Kickstarter also threatens "So, let’s aim for $22,500 and there won't be a need for a third Kickstarter!", I should mention that $22500 is currently seven times what the Kickstarter is at with just over a week to go.

The whole thing has left a sour taste in my mouth.

But I am relieved to hear that kidsmoke liked what she saw. Was there Jay-era Wilco music? Were Jeff/John/Glenn interviewed? 

If you read the entire first Kickstarter, it says:

"Additional funds raised over $25,000 will go toward post-production, insurance, a great sound mix, maybe some animation, an amazing score and soundtrack, and film festival fees. (Yes, making a film is expensive.) So, let’s aim for $75,000 or more!"

That's all pretty self- explanatory.

As for the money raised in the original Kickstarter, it states:

"The money raised for Where are you, Jay Bennett? will go toward the completion of filming, a lot more interviews!"

So, no, never said we were done filming in that Kickstarter.

And the last update in July, said we were going to animate his clips, which was why it wasn't ready yet.  (The explanation that supposedly doesn't exist.)  That isn't done over night.  It also says animation takes a long time.  That's not an exaggeration.  2 to 4 weeks for a 60 second clip.  We have at least 10 pieces of animation planned for the film.   

As for what's taken so long...try and find a great animator who will work for virtually nothing. Took me about 18 months.  We started looking from the time I got the Jay audio.  I was getting quotes that would have pushed the film's budget into the $150K range, when I want to keep it under $60K.  Then after we find the animator, we need to work on style, on perfecting Jay's look. Its not hours, it's weeks for every move.  

As for finishing the film, we've never not finished a film.  Look at my Kickstarter history.  And EVERY film has more than one Kickstarter.     

We are a production company, making a number of films at one time (also explained in Kickstarter)...some films come quickly, others don't.  But everything has been spelled out in both Kickstarters, if you bother to read it.

"Additional funds raised over $25,000 will go toward post-production, insurance, a great sound mix, maybe some animation, an amazing score and soundtrack, and film festival fees. (Yes, making a film is expensive.) [/size]So, let’s aim for $75,000 or more!"

[/size]

"The money raised for [/size]Where are you, Jay Bennett?[/size] will go toward the completion of filming, a lot more interviews!"[/size]

And the last update in July, said we were going to animate his clips, which was why it wasn't ready yet.  (The explanation that supposedly doesn't exist.)  That isn't done over night.  It also says animation takes a long time.  That's not an exaggeration.  2 to 4 weeks for a 60 second clip.  We have at least 10 pieces of animation planned for the film.   

It's all there if you want to read it.

We are a production company, making a number of films at one time (also explained in Kickstarter)...some films come quickly, others don't.  But everything has been spelled out in both Kickstarters, if you bother to read it.

"If I bother to read it??" Is this how you talk to your backers?? That's awfully rude.

Let's break this down.

"Additional funds raised over $25,000 will go toward post-production, insurance, a great sound mix, maybe some animation, an amazing score and soundtrack, and film festival fees. (Yes, making a film is expensive.) [/size]So, let’s aim for $75,000 or more!"

[/size]

I've worked in media my entire adult life, I'm well aware how much a documentary film costs to make. (Especially in 2020 with the high quality affordable DSLR cameras + LED lights and easy access to Adobe Premiere / After Effects.) So I don't know what you're trying to prove? My point when referencing the similar line in your second Kickstarter is you haven't explained how the project will scale if you don't meet your funding. Currently, the new Kickstarter is at $3160 CAD of a $9962 CAD goal, no where in the Kickstarter does it mention what will happen if you don't meet your funding minimum. If the second Kickstarter doesn't succeed, which is possible, what happens to the film, and the funds us original backers donated?? This is NOT self-explanatory. Nowhere in your original Kickstarter did you mention there will be further Kickstarters if you don't hit $75K or more.

"The money raised for [/size]Where are you, Jay Bennett?[/size] will go toward the completion of filming, a lot more interviews!"[/size]

I never said you were done filming. From the "How We Got Here" section, you mention that Fred had been "long-in-production" (your words) and already had (at least some) interviews show and archive footage. So it's not like you were starting from scratch. 

It's all there if you want to read it.

I'm not sure what explanation you think this covers? The release date? If that's why the movie isn't going to be done on time, you probably should tell your backers BEFORE the release month comes and goes, not the next month, that the movie isn't coming out.

You did not address the fact that you have gone months of time without updating the people who financed your film. Nor have you mentioned that you completely missed your release date, again with no update. Or that you've used your movie about Jay to promote your other projects. Or what's going to happen to the movie (and the original backer's money) if the new Kickstarter isn't successful. And clearly you know I'm at least being fair about a few things since you sent an update 5 minutes after accusing me of not reading your Kickstarter. As a backer I'm well within my right to question what's going on with this project. Do professional filmmakers usually act like this towards the fans who also are paying for their productions??  :uhoh 

"If I bother to read it??" Is this how you talk to your backers?? That's awfully rude.

Let's break this down.

I've worked in media my entire adult life, I'm well aware how much a documentary film costs to make. (Especially in 2020 with the high quality affordable DSLR cameras + LED lights and easy access to Adobe Premiere / After Effects.) So I don't know what you're trying to prove? My point when referencing the similar line in your second Kickstarter is you haven't explained how the project will scale if you don't meet your funding. Currently, the new Kickstarter is at $3160 CAD of a $9962 CAD goal, no where in the Kickstarter does it mention what will happen if you don't meet your funding minimum. If the second Kickstarter doesn't succeed, which is possible, what happens to the film, and the funds us original backers donated?? This is NOT self-explanatory. Nowhere in your original Kickstarter did you mention there will be further Kickstarters if you don't hit $75K or more.

I never said you were done filming. From the "How We Got Here" section, you mention that Fred had been "long-in-production" (your words) and already had (at least some) interviews show and archive footage. So it's not like you were starting from scratch. 

I'm not sure what explanation you think this covers? The release date? If that's why the movie isn't going to be done on time, you probably should tell your backers BEFORE the release month comes and goes, not the next month, that the movie isn't coming out.

You did not address the fact that you have gone months of time without updating the people who financed your film. Nor have you mentioned that you completely missed your release date, again with no update. Or that you've used your movie about Jay to promote your other projects. Or what's going to happen to the movie (and the original backer's money) if the new Kickstarter isn't successful. And clearly you know I'm at least being fair about a few things since you sent an update 5 minutes after accusing me of not reading your Kickstarter. As a backer I'm well within my right to question what's going on with this project. Do professional filmmakers usually act like this towards the fans who also are paying for their productions??  :uhoh

First off, your original post was rude and full of accusations, many of which were already addressed in the original KS.  If you had a question, have you every bothered to ask? I answer every question that comes my way.  

Seriously sorry if you don't like the way I run my company, make my films, promote my films, etc.  Don't know what else to say.  The film that we started funding prior to Jay Bennett, which is called Seniors, is premiering on March 5th.  Bennett is next in line.  

As we say right at the end of the first KS:

We always finish our films. They always get distribution. That is never an issue. The biggest challenge for us is finishing everything on time. Documentaries take on lives of their own. In a perfect world, the film will be done and playing festivals in early 2019. But this isn't always a perfect world. So worst case, it takes a little longer than we expected to deliver the DVDs and other rewards. But you will get them, and the film will only be better for it.

What accusations?? Where was I rude? All I did was ask questions and lay out the timeline. I don't know anything about your films or how you run your business. As a backer, someone who helped pay for your movie, I'd expect more regular updates, especially when the original estimated release date comes and goes. I shouldn't have to resort to getting in an online argument with the director to find out it's "next in line". 

Bee-utiful. 

I realize now that my post went way off topic and into the personal., which is how it is with those you truly admire. You relate on a personal level. There isn't a helluva  lot of people that make me feel like that. 

Love ya, man. It was a beautiful story and I'm glad you shared!

When it comes to music, there's no such thing as too personal.  Yesterday, my all time favorite band sent me a preview of their first new music in years.  Just one song.  I cried like a baby through my first listen because it made me so happy.  I listened a second time, and damn if I didn't start crying all over again.  Music speaks to parts of us we can never truly understand.  And thank God, or whomever, that it does.

The personal is what makes things human and interesting. Thanks for sharing. 

:thumbup

Thank you, brother.  :love

When it comes to music, there's no such thing as too personal.  Yesterday, my all time favorite band sent me a preview of their first new music in years.  Just one song.  I cried like a baby through my first listen because it made me so happy.  I listened a second time, and damn if I didn't start crying all over again.  Music speaks to parts of us we can never truly understand.  And thank God, or whomever, that it does.

I love this. Nothing but the best to you in this endeavor, and all those in the future.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! We made our initial Kickstarter goal with 10 days to go. Now help us get even further so that there will not need to be a final Kickstarter for all those fun finishing expenses like legal, insurance, mixing, color correction! We can do it in the name of rock and roll!