I'm one movie away from having watched all of this year's Best Picture nominees. I couldn't agree more with Chez's recommendation of Judas and the Black Messiah. I was thoroughly captivated throughout the movie. I also very much enjoyed The Trial of the Chicago 7 and Nomadland. I liked Promising Young Woman, but it was extremely dark. I guess I wan't in the right mood for it when I watched it. The Father hit too close to home, reminding me of moments with my dad during his decline. Anthony Hopkins is incredible though. Minari is by far the best movie I've watched in the past year. Absolutely beautiful. I enjoyed it more than Nomadland. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought this was my 40th World Series, but I forgot about the strike season of '94 in which there was no World Series. I wanted to go, but tickets to the games in Atlanta are over $1,000 for standin

I've just read that part 2 has been green-lit, and he also wants to do a part 3 - being Dune Messiah.    Gorgeous film, and the soundtrack is great too. I'm already viewing it again, in smal

I haven't seen all of the buzzy titles (living in flyover country means waiting for some key films, like Drive My Car), but of the many 2021 titles I've managed to catch so far, The Power of the Dog i

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Boss_Tweedy said:

How was it? 

Pretty good. Not quite as good as the first one but still better than most. There are worse ways to spend 2 hours (Tomorrow War, I'm looking at you!).

On 7/1/2021 at 6:03 AM, chuckrh said:

je064qlj8mi41.jpg

19 hours ago, Boss_Tweedy said:

How was it? 

I haven’t watched this one yet, but I believe that it’s hitting Paramount+ this Monday. I wanted to go back to revisit the first one, before I watched the sequel. 

I watched this one over a month ago and I loved it. It was a lot darker than I thought that it would be. That being said, the first time feature director balances the dark tones perfectly with the cleverness. Now available on Starz. 

12223882-B37E-48C1-97DD-0E475E381DCC.jpeg

15 hours ago, chuckrh said:

Pretty good. Not quite as good as the first one but still better than most. There are worse ways to spend 2 hours (Tomorrow War, I'm looking at you!).

I saw it today. I enjoyed it for the most part except for the ending. And I agree that it's not as good as the first one though for some reason I don't remember much about that one. 

On 7/9/2021 at 6:44 PM, u2roolz said:

I haven’t watched this one yet, but I believe that it’s hitting Paramount+ this Monday. I wanted to go back to revisit the first one, before I watched the sequel. 

I recommend re-watching the first one before seeing the sequel because I'd forgotten much of the first one. As such the sequel made less sense at times. 

On 7/11/2021 at 2:35 PM, Boss_Tweedy said:

I recommend re-watching the first one before seeing the sequel because I'd forgotten much of the first one. As such the sequel made less sense at times. 

We’re not the only ones with this issue. A few of my friends are in the same boat. I’m wondering if it’s because it’s mostly a silent movie. I don’t remember much about The Artist either. I can’t recall any specific scene. I remember a dog being in it. 

I signed up for the Coda Collection so I could watch Jimi Hendrix Electric Church.  Problematic film for a number of reasons, mostly because nobody took filming the event seriously.  It holds local interest to me as an Atlanta guy, and had some of the best close-up footage of Hendrix's hands I've ever seen, which is fun if you're a guitarist.

It's mind boggling how many Foo Fighters films there are on Coda.  You scroll through and it feels like every third selection is Foo Fighters.  

There are also tons of other Hendrix films on there.  The recent Maui one is really corny.  Don't bother with that.  The Electric Ladyland documentary ("At Last...The Beginning") is really well done, though.    

I decided to cancel my subscription after just one month, but I'll probably watch the Band of Gypsies film before the month ends.   

10 minutes ago, Analogman said:

If you think that is corny - you should track down the actual Rainbow Bridge film and watch it. 

Oh I have, though that was 30 years ago.

I was hoping the Maui film was going to have the complete concert, but that isn't the case, at least not on the Coda version.  As a drummer, it's interesting to listen to the re-recorded drums and watch how closely Mitch Mitchell was able to duplicate his live performance (the drum recordings from the original concert were not usable).  Sometimes he's really locked in, and other times it's nowhere close.  I'm glad I watched it just for that.  

55 minutes ago, jff said:

I signed up for the Coda Collection so I could watch Jimi Hendrix Electric Church.  Problematic film for a number of reasons, mostly because nobody took filming the event seriously.  It holds local interest to me as an Atlanta guy, and had some of the best close-up footage of Hendrix's hands I've ever seen, which is fun if you're a guitarist.

It's mind boggling how many Foo Fighters films there are on Coda.  You scroll through and it feels like every third selection is Foo Fighters.  

There are also tons of other Hendrix films on there.  The recent Maui one is really corny.  Don't bother with that.  The Electric Ladyland documentary ("At Last...The Beginning") is really well done, though.    

I decided to cancel my subscription after just one month, but I'll probably watch the Band of Gypsies film before the month ends.   

I've looked for tapes of the dates Hendrix did in Honolulu around the same time. They were supposed to be phenomenal performances. No luck so far.

12 minutes ago, jff said:

Oh I have, though that was 30 years ago.

I was hoping the Maui film was going to have the complete concert, but that isn't the case, at least not on the Coda version.  As a drummer, it's interesting to listen to the re-recorded drums and watch how closely Mitch Mitchell was able to duplicate his live performance (the drum recordings from the original concert were not usable).  Sometimes he's really locked in, and other times it's nowhere close.  I'm glad I watched it just for that.  

I actually have the Blu-Ray. I did not have a Blu-Ray player. Someone gave me one. I guess there are parts they did not film or there are missing pieces of the show. One of my very favorite Hendrix live songs is the version of Hey Baby he plays on the Flying V. 

1 hour ago, Analogman said:

One of my very favorite Hendrix live songs is the version of Hey Baby he plays on the Flying V. 

No doubt.  That remains the most memorable part of the film from when I originally watched it.

As imperfect or downright terrible some of the Hendrix films may be, I have learned Dolly Dagger on guitar as a direct result of watching them over the last couple of weeks, so that's a huge win.  I have found that learning any Hendrix song, even the kindergarten versions I can manage, gives me tons of source material to make up my own stuff.

15 minutes ago, jff said:

No doubt.  That remains the most memorable part of the film from when I originally watched it.

As imperfect or downright terrible some of the Hendrix films may be, I have learned Dolly Dagger on guitar as a direct result of watching them over the last couple of weeks, so that's a huge win.  I have found that learning any Hendrix song, even the kindergarten versions I can manage, gives me tons of source material to make up my own stuff.

I've always thought how lucky we are that his hands are actually shown in the Woodstock film. There is a lot of speculation that we will get the Albert Hall release at some point (besides that one night official release in 2019).