Jump to content
calvino

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Class of 2021 Nominees

Recommended Posts

Can this yearly topic put a spark into the VC board?????

 

FIRST off - there is NO WAY the Foo Fighters ---- ah! I got nothin'. 

 

I would have figured TIna Turner would have already been in the hall --- perhaps she already is, paired up with Ike. 

 

Of course Iron Maiden belongs. 

 

 

Quote

Mary J. Blige
Kate Bush
Devo
Foo Fighters
The Go-Go’s
Iron Maiden
JAY-Z
Chaka Khan
Carole King
Fela Kuti
LL Cool J
New York Dolls
Rage Against the Machine
Todd Rundgren
Tina Turner
Dionne Warwick

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no plausible argument for why the Go-Go's should not get in, or aren't already in.  That's probably true for Iron Maiden, too.  The rest could be argued for and against.  Pretty decent list, all in all, FF notwithstanding, ignoring of course that there are some MASSIVE oversites that are still not up for consideration. 

 

Worth noting is that Carole King has already been inducted as a writer.  This nomination is for performance.  I love her, but I don't think she (or anyone else) deserves to be in twice when there are so many who should be in but aren't in and have never even been nominated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Agree about the Go-Go's. 

 

From a personal stand point, it would be cool for the southside of Chicago, if Chaka Khan got in. I lived a couple blocks from Chaka Khan Way, a street name honor Chicago bestowed her about 10 years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jff said:

Worth noting is that Carole King has already been inducted as a writer.  This nomination is for performance.  I love her, but I don't think she (or anyone else) deserves to be in twice when there are so many who should be in but aren't in and have never even been nominated.

 

I have to agree. It's wild to realize some of the names not already honored.

 

2 hours ago, ih8music said:

I personally think Devo deserves to be in the RRHOF much more than The Go-Go's

 

Like this one! How is Devo not yet inducted? Nice to see the New York Dolls on the list.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Truthfully..... that's a whole lot of artists I don't really care about. I imagine Iron Maiden is a lock. Probably the Foos too? Did Pearl Jam and RHCP make it in their first year? If yes then Foos are a lock. They're probably a lock just from how appealing both their music and Dave Grohl is.

Please excuse this rant:
These next 10 years will be interesting for the R&RHOF. How many new artists do they induct a year?? 5 or 6? They might want to think about lowering that in the years ahead. 25 years ago is getting into the mid-90s, after the early 00s there wasn't a lot of new rock bands that also had mainstream success. Who do you induct after The White Stripes and The Strokes? I'm sure there's only so many notable artists from the 60s/70s/80s, like Devo, that were missed. Though, I'd argue the post 00s garage rival is when rock music got interesting again but I can't see a bands like Fleet Foxes or Bon Iver getting inducted in 8 or 9 years, as cool as a nerd like me would find it. But what new artists become available to induct in 2030?? That's only 9 years from now. We've all been posting on this message board longer than that!! The Decemberists? Yes please! But if I think that, it's probably not a good pick... Mumfords and Sons? The Avett Brothers? TAYLOR SWIFT?! That's a serious downgrade from Pearl Jam and Nirvana. I guess that's why they're bringing in more rap artists. Will we eventually have years where it's mostly rap music making it into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? When do we have our first year of inductees that don't have a single guitar based act among them? 

Though, on the flip side, I also wonder, as baby boomers age out, how much interest there will be for something like the R&RHOF? Outside of sports, these sorts of establishments don't strike me as something gen xers and especially millennials care about.

Maybe I'm wrong!  ...I am every once in awhile, after all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TCP said:

Truthfully..... that's a whole lot of artists I don't really care about. I imagine Iron Maiden is a lock. Probably the Foos too? Did Pearl Jam and RHCP make it in their first year? If yes then Foos are a lock. They're probably a lock just from how appealing both their music and Dave Grohl is.

Please excuse this rant:
These next 10 years will be interesting for the R&RHOF. How many new artists do they induct a year?? 5 or 6? They might want to think about lowering that in the years ahead. 25 years ago is getting into the mid-90s, after the early 00s there wasn't a lot of new rock bands that also had mainstream success. Who do you induct after The White Stripes and The Strokes? I'm sure there's only so many notable artists from the 60s/70s/80s, like Devo, that were missed. Though, I'd argue the post 00s garage rival is when rock music got interesting again but I can't see a bands like Fleet Foxes or Bon Iver getting inducted in 8 or 9 years, as cool as a nerd like me would find it. But what new artists become available to induct in 2030?? That's only 9 years from now. We've all been posting on this message board longer than that!! The Decemberists? Yes please! But if I think that, it's probably not a good pick... Mumfords and Sons? The Avett Brothers? TAYLOR SWIFT?! That's a serious downgrade from Pearl Jam and Nirvana. I guess that's why they're bringing in more rap artists. Will we eventually have years where it's mostly rap music making it into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? When do we have our first year of inductees that don't have a single guitar based act among them? 

Though, on the flip side, I also wonder, as baby boomers age out, how much interest there will be for something like the R&RHOF? Outside of sports, these sorts of establishments don't strike me as something gen xers and especially millennials care about.

Maybe I'm wrong!  ...I am every once in awhile, after all. 

 

As a solid Gen Xer - I thought the place was cool. Then, again I went because they had a Grateful Dead exhibit going on - so my mindset may be more boomer-ish.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, calvino said:

 

As a solid Gen Xer - I thought the place was cool. Then, again I went because they had a Grateful Dead exhibit going on - so my mindset may be more boomer-ish.

 

Oh yeah, should have clarified, I meant more about R&RHOF as a status that bands aspire (or don't aspire) to join, with the induction ceremony that turns into a television special, not so much the museum aspect of it. I haven't been myself but I have been to similar things like the Experience Music Project in Seattle and thought it was great. As someone with only a minor interest in Grateful Dead compared to some around here (American Beauty is a pretty good record!), even I'd go check that out, if I was ever in Cleveland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ih8music said:

I personally think Devo deserves to be in the RRHOF much more than The Go-Go's

 

I love Devo.  More than the Go-Gos.  Both deserve to get in.  But I am curious why you think Devo deserves it more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jff said:

 

I love Devo.  More than the Go-Gos.  Both deserve to get in.  But I am curious why you think Devo deserves it more.

 

I think Devo was much more influential to other 80's New Wave bands than the Go-Go's, especially given that they only lasted what - 4 or 5 years?  Yes, the Go-Go's had bigger hits than Devo but I don't believe that's the most important criteria.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ih8music said:

 

I think Devo was much more influential to other 80's New Wave bands than the Go-Go's, especially given that they only lasted what - 4 or 5 years?  Yes, the Go-Go's had bigger hits than Devo but I don't believe that's the most important criteria.

 

That's probably true.  The Go-Gos accomplished something that had never been done (first all female band to write and perform their own music and have a #1 hit).  Devo wasn't the first to do anything that I know of.  Firsts are a huge deal in music and the music business (and the Hall has proven itself to be primarily a business focused entity.) That's why I feel the Go-Go's should have been in already and if it had to be one or the other, it should be the Go-Go's first, even though I'd rather listen to Devo and bands influenced by Devo than The Go-Go's or bands they influenced.

 

But I hope they both get in this year.  Both deserve it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Chick Corea's passing - I wonder people's thought on jazz fusion bands and the R&R hall.  As far as musicians in the hall that played jazz - Miles Davis is in, but I think that's it.  Herbie Hancock had some crossover appeal. 

 

That being said, does Miles even belong?  Rock and roll definitely influenced Miles, but I think he influenced rock and roll, too. I think he should be in the hall.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, calvino said:

With Chick Corea's passing - I wonder people's thought on jazz fusion bands and the R&R hall.  As far as musicians in the hall that played jazz - Miles Davis is in, but I think that's it.  Herbie Hancock had some crossover appeal. 

 

That being said, does Miles even belong?  Rock and roll definitely influenced Miles, but I think he influenced rock and roll, too. I think he should be in the hall.

 

 

 

That's a good question, and in order for them to be in they'd have to be able to tell a story that connects fusion to rock in a direct way.  Like, did fusion really impact rock in a substantive way?  I'm not convinced it did, but I could be talked into it.  I think it'd make more sense for Jimi Hendrix or Cream to be in a Jazz Hall of Fame than for fusion musicians to be in the Rock Hall of Fame. 

 

By and large, the jazz artists that influenced rock, and continue to influence rock, predated fusion.  I don't really see  post-fusion rock being different if fusion never happened.  A lot of rock players who were jazz oriented (particularly a lot of the '60s British rock guys) got their jazz influence from pre-fusion.  Where jazz is most evident in American rock is bands like Chicago, Blood Sweat and Tears, and that kind of thing, which are mostly informed by the horn arrangements of big band jazz era.

 

Fusion certainly influenced bands like The Dixie Dregs, Sea Level, Jeff Beck, one or two songs from career slump-era Allman Brothers, maybe mid-'70s Dead, and Phish, and some metal (I can hear it in Voivod),  but I don't know if that adds up to enough to get the fusion guys into the hall.  It depends, is fusion really the source for what these rock bands did, or are all these fusion and rock bands going to the same jazz well to find their inspiration, and as a result coming up with similar results?  If it's the latter, then fusion is not really a strong influence. It's more like a coincidence, or a clique from another school who just happens to be doing similar things as the clique from your school.

 

The strongest argument may be fusion's use of synths, but one could argue that Stevie Wonder, Funkadelic, prog bands, and others were doing that at the same time, or earlier, are that's where rock picked that up from.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2021 at 2:58 PM, calvino said:

 

 

FIRST off - there is NO WAY the Foo Fighters ---- ah! I got nothin'. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I think Dave is already planning who will induct him. I know he seems like a good guy - but the music he makes is terrible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess he wants Stewart Copeland to do it. As - he came up with the name Foo Fighters - the same as Stewart made up the band name of Klark Kent to hide who he was. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jff said:

 

That's a good question, and in order for them to be in they'd have to be able to tell a story that connects fusion to rock in a direct way.  Like, did fusion really impact rock in a substantive way?  I'm not convinced it did, but I could be talked into it.  I think it'd make more sense for Jimi Hendrix or Cream to be in a Jazz Hall of Fame than for fusion musicians to be in the Rock Hall of Fame. 

 

By and large, the jazz artists that influenced rock, and continue to influence rock, predated fusion.  I don't really see  post-fusion rock being different if fusion never happened.  A lot of rock players who were jazz oriented (particularly a lot of the '60s British rock guys) got their jazz influence from pre-fusion.  Where jazz is most evident in American rock is bands like Chicago, Blood Sweat and Tears, and that kind of thing, which are mostly informed by the horn arrangements of big band jazz era.

 

Fusion certainly influenced bands like The Dixie Dregs, Sea Level, Jeff Beck, one or two songs from career slump-era Allman Brothers, maybe mid-'70s Dead, and Phish, and some metal (I can hear it in Voivod),  but I don't know if that adds up to enough to get the fusion guys into the hall.  It depends, is fusion really the source for what these rock bands did, or are all these fusion and rock bands going to the same jazz well to find their inspiration, and as a result coming up with similar results?  If it's the latter, then fusion is not really a strong influence. It's more like a coincidence, or a clique from another school who just happens to be doing similar things as the clique from your school.

 

The strongest argument may be fusion's use of synths, but one could argue that Stevie Wonder, Funkadelic, prog bands, and others were doing that at the same time, or earlier, are that's where rock picked that up from.

 

I was watching a Return to Forever clip on YouTube, which brought me to the below quote from Lenny White.

It seems crazy to me  that a band like Chicago is not in the hall, when someone like Madonna is. Not saying that Madonna doesn't belong, but when I listen to her I am not thinking this is some great rock and roll, same goes for when I listen to rap artists that are in the hall - again I am fine with rap artists being in the hall, too. 

 

It would be kinda cool if a band like Lifetime, Return to Forever,  Mahavishnu Orchestra, or Herbie Hancock and his various bands get a nod. Same with a band like King Crimson. 

 

   Lenny White wrote:

Quote

 

To understand Bitches Brew you have to understand that the first notes we made in the studio happened twenty-four hours after the last note Jimi Hendrix played at Woodstock. There were a lot of different kinds of music being made at the same time. You had Jimi Hendrix; you still had the Beatles, Igor Stravinsky, James Brown. You had Santana, the Rolling Stones—all this different music at the same time. You could hear that jazz was cross-pollinating—things being borrowed from here, from there. Everybody was listening to everybody else.

Jazz drumming in the ’60s was on fire—moving from a swinging pulse to a much more open, syncopated feel. We were listening to James Brown and his drummers—Clyde Stubblefield, Jabo Starks, Bernard Purdie. Sly & The Family Stone—their music was very influential too.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Analogman said:

I guess he wants Stewart Copeland to do it. As - he came up with the name Foo Fighters - the same as Stewart made up the band name of Klark Kent to hide who he was. 

 

Klark Kent is a pretty clever title  - I like it. The name Foo Fighters - not so much -- unless I am missing something...  (didn't know that Copeland came up with the name)

 

Guess Clapton started this with Derek and the Dominoes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Analogman said:

You can find that Klark Kent stuff on Youtube. 

 

Don't Care

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seriously, though -  Don't Care is a great, catchy tune - never heard of Klark Kent, before.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stewart is quite something. Being a teenager of the 1980s - I was a big Police fan. I still am. He has some interesting videos on YT - showing off his studio and gear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh man, I love Klark Kent.  Now there's an act that deserves to be in the Hall of Fame.  Well, maybe not.  But I do genuinely love that album.  Maybe my favorite album ever where all the instruments are played by one person.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...