Low Key
New Moon
Guess Again
Love Like A Wire (Danny Izzo)
Family Ghost
Natural Disaster
Let's Go Rain
Don't Bring Me Down (The Beatles)
Give Me Back The Key To My Heart (Doug Sahm)
California Stars

The band sounded great.  Night was perfect.  (Lots of space so crowd chatter was at a minimum)   Great show

1 hour ago, lucca said:

Jeff Tweedy
Rivets Stadium
Loves Park, IL
July 3, 2021

intro
I Know What It's Like
Love Is The King
A Robin Or A Wren
Opaline
Half-Asleep
Don't Forget
You Are Not Alone (Mavis Staples)
Bombs Above
Some Birds
Having Been Is No Way To Be
Gwendolyn
Evergreen
Low Key
New Moon
Guess Again
Love Like A Wire (Danny Izzo)
Family Ghost
Natural Disaster
Let's Go Rain
Don't Bring Me Down (The Beatles)
Give Me Back The Key To My Heart (Doug Sahm)
California Stars

The band sounded great.  Night was perfect.  (Lots of space so crowd chatter was at a minimum)   Great show

Thanks for the report. Just few tiny corrections for you...

First off, Love Like A Wire [Diane Izzo]. Also, you forgot World Away as the second song. And the band fully left the stage after Let's Go Rain, so the last three songs (including Don't Let Me Down and Give Back The Key To My Heart — no 'Me' ;) ) were a true encore.

First off, this is going to be kind of a difficult recap for me to write because of some, ahem, shenanigans that were going on throughout most of the show. I fully admit to being a bit distracted — in the best possible way — so thankfully there wasn't much banter at all to chronicle. Anyway, I'm not going to elaborate, but if you know, you know...:lol

This was going to probably be a slightly weird show no matter how you cut it. First off, the band was booked as part of a three-day festival in a minor-league stadium near the outpost of Rockford, IL, between the feel-good 90s vibes of the Gin Blossoms (Friday night) and Rock and Roll Hall Of Famers and hometown legends Cheap Trick (Sunday). I mean, between those three, I can imagine which show a local person would skip to enjoy a little Fourth of July revelry if you weren't going to attend every day of the inaugural Long Play Music Festival. And then let's (maybe not) get into the band that "opened" for Jeff and Co., the Too Hype Crew — a self-described "World Famous Old Skool Hip Hop Party Band" — from Chicago who I'm pretty sure played a longer set than Jeff and his band did. Though to their credit, they did give Jeff a shout out at one point.

As it was, Jeff seemed to want to cram as many songs as he could into the time allotted. The band took the stage about 10 minutes earlier than scheduled, at 9:21 p.m., right after the promised fireworks show — that, ahem, those of us gathered toward the front of the stage couldn't really see — and played till just after 11. This was a significantly longer set than, for example, the Gin Blossoms played the night before.

Perhaps it was because of the aforementioned inability to see the fireworks at the front of the stage that there was seemingly a very sparse crowd right up until the band took the stage. Some of us who had gone up early sort of nervously looked around at each other and were like, 'Is this it?' Fortunately, the crowd definitely filled in as the show went on, though I can't really say with any accuracy how full it actually got (probably not very, I'm guessing, given the relatively vast space) in the outfield of Rivets Stadium.

As for the show itself, Jeff just seemed very happy to be playing music with all his friends and bandmates — maybe for the last time for a long time. Who knows when this group will have a chance to be on stage together again with Wilco and Ohmme both getting set to go back on tour and Liam Kazar putting out his new record in August? So it was really a treat to get to see them perform collectively, and in a non-drive-in setting (no offense) that felt almost like a real show again. Even though the setlist didn't feature any real surprises, especially if you attended one of the aforementioned drive-in gigs or otherwise have seen this band perform material from Love Is The King, it's still a joy to see these songs played live with a full band and a bonafide PA system.

For me, it's really fun to see this configuration of the band, too, because of the counterbalance that Sima and Macie bring to the relatively serious rhythm section of Spencer and Liam. I think some of you who couldn't attend but nonetheless got to watch via the strength of one woman's right arm would probably agree with me that both through their backing vocals and instrumental talents — especially Macie on violin — and just their smiles and stage presence, the Ohmme-mates bring a certain je ne sais quoi that completes the full "Jeff Tweedy" experience.

At Rivets, the band seemed to really hit its stride in the back half of the set. There was a possible audible to Love Like A Wire, the Diane Izzo cover that is often a part of its set, and Jeff even opened up a bit banter-wise, albeit to talk about guitarist James Elkington's gold Telecaster. I didn't really get the full gist, but I think it might have been the most Jeff said all night, outside of introducing the group. Then the three-song encore, capped by California Stars with the ladies of Ohmme taking a verse and Liam also chipping in on vocals, was just pure crowd-pleasing singalong delight for a lovely summer evening.

I guess that's really about all I can report from my end. It was nice to see some familiar mask-less faces again, of course, and as Jeff said early on, just nice to be out of the house. Though I know it won't be too long before Jeff takes the stage again, something about this one — despite a kind-of weird setting and vibe — felt at least like something resembling normalcy again. And if nothing else, I think that definitely made the evening a success.

For the record, here was the complete setlist as played (by the core Tweedy band with James Elkington on electric guitar, Liam Kazar on bass and Spencer Tweedy on drums, as well as Sima Cunningham on electric guitar and tambourine and backing vocals and Macie Stewart on violin and backing vocals):

I Know What It's Like

World Away

Love Is The King

A Robin Or A Wren

Opaline

Half-Asleep

Don't Forget

You Are Not Alone

Bombs Above>

Some Birds

Having Been Is No Way To Be

Gwendolyn

Evergreen

Low Key

New Moon

Guess Again

Love Like A Wire [Diane Izzo]

Family Ghost

Natural Disaster

Let's Go Rain

---------------------------------------------

Don't Let Me Down [The Beatles]

Give Back The Key To My Heart [Doug Sahm]

California Stars

Sima adding guitar at the end of World Away really shined.  It's hard not to focus solely on James interacting with Sima and Macie throughout the show. As Jeff was talking about James' guitar, a bird must have flown close to Jeff causing him to remark incredulously that the size of the bird meant it must have been a hawk which almost attacked him and he was lucky to be alive. I feel very fortunate to have experienced these Tweedy live events over the last year and would probably pursue multiple shows if this lineup were to tour in the future, similar to my Wilco obsession.

I've just captured the Bbop segments of the stream and formed them into a loop along with the Everyone Hides cameos to play as a new video installation in an updated section of his shrine situated in my garage. On special festival days I light a jostick rolled from recycled Wilco ticket stubs in his honour, while chanting his meditative invocation "Om Mani Padme Cubs". 

P.S. My sect tends to shy away from anything tantric, but once in the garage visitors can feel free if the spirit moves you (as long as you clean up after yourself).

30 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I've just captured the Bbop segments of the stream and formed them into a loop along with the Everyone Hides cameos to play as a new video installation in an updated section of his shrine situated in my garage. On special festival days I light a jostick rolled from recycled Wilco ticket stubs.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

3 hours ago, M Christine said:

I don’t know how bbop can be expected to carry out his job responsibilities with that much harassment.

😄

This is what I’ve been saying! :lol

8 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I've just captured the Bbop segments of the stream and formed them into a loop along with the Everyone Hides cameos to play as a new video installation in an updated section of his shrine situated in my garage. On special festival days I light a jostick rolled from recycled Wilco ticket stubs in his honour, while chanting his meditative invocation "Om Mani Padme Cubs". 

P.S. My sect tends to shy away from anything tantric, but once in the garage visitors can feel free if the spirit moves you (as long as you clean up after yourself).

I hope to pay a visit to see this exhibition in person some day…perhaps I can even make a donation? 

On 7/7/2021 at 6:18 PM, bböp said:

I hope to pay a visit to see this exhibition in person some day…perhaps I can even make a donation? 

I seem to remember gifting you a Paris ticket stub once after you had mislaid yours - possibly when that mad French guy was trying to start moshing around you (or maybe he was just trying to get a lock of your hair - thanks for mine by the way: still in the lucky locket). It's some consolation now to think that there's a part of me always with you. 

2 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I seem to remember gifting you a Paris ticket stub once after you had mislaid yours - possibly when that mad French guy was trying to start moshing around you (or maybe he was just trying to get a lock of your hair). It's some consolation now to think that there's a part of me always with you. 

Ah yes, the pogoing Frenchman! Oy. Had forgotten about the courtesy of your donated stub, however. That was from the sadly ill-fated Elysee Montmartre, no? What times we had...

11 hours ago, bböp said:

Ah yes, the pogoing Frenchman! Oy. Had forgotten about the courtesy of your donated stub, however. That was from the sadly ill-fated Elysee Montmartre, no? What times we had...

Bataclan 2007 I believe. I think the Elysee Montmartre has been rebuilt after the fire, though of course the Bataclan had its own darker day if that's what you mean.

3 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Bataclan 2007 I believe. I think the Elysee Montmartre has been rebuilt after the fire, though of course the Bataclan had its own darker day if that's what you mean.

Right, that's what I meant...Bataclan. Still can't believe that we were there and what would eventually happen there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2021 at 1:42 PM, bböp said:

First off, Love Like A Wire [Diane Izzo]. Also, you forgot World Away as the second song. And the band fully left the stage after Let's Go Rain, so the last three songs (including Don't Let Me Down and Give Back The Key To My Heart — no 'Me' ;) ) were a true encore.

r-lee-ermey.jpg

Go easy on the new recruit Staff Sergeant Setlist.

2 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

r-lee-ermey.jpg

Go easy on the new recruit Staff Sergeant Setlist.

Sir, yes, sir! (But accuracy is important! Requesting that Wilcoworld not use setlist.fm as resource because often there can be inaccuracies...)

12 hours ago, bböp said:

Sir, yes, sir! (But accuracy is important! Requesting that Wilcoworld not use setlist.fm as resource because often there can be inaccuracies...)

I noticed that the FB page for Jeff had Let’s Go Rain for the first Hunter Center show. I’m guessing that most artists have someone that grabs the setlist to post it to FB/social media without keeping track of any additions or subtractions. This seems to happen with lots of bands. 

11 hours ago, u2roolz said:

I noticed that the FB page for Jeff had Let’s Go Rain for the first Hunter Center show. I’m guessing that most artists have someone that grabs the setlist to post it to FB/social media without keeping track of any additions or subtractions. This seems to happen with lots of bands. 

Yeah, exactly! People who don’t keep track at the show as well can’t be (entirely) trusted!

I guess this isn’t a problem for most acts that stick exclusively to their setlists, but we know that’s not true with Jeff/Wilco.