Now Reading 2022

Am I missing a topic, or has everyone stopped reading? I sort of doubt that, but it appears we need a 2022 reading thread so here we are.

I've just finished the most amazing and absorbing book about Juana of Castile, who was the last Spanish queen. Her story proves the saying that life is stranger than fiction can ever be. What a life she led, and was forced into...and what sheer strength and resolve and bravery she brought to it.  Read this book. I was mesmerized and had trouble even putting it down for at least the last half of the book. Absolutely beautifully written. You'll love being in the thick of it, and not soon forget this woman. Or this author.

Historical fiction at its finest. Only called fiction, necessarily, because some meetings and events must be imagined.

20220220_015252.jpg

I had 3 e-books become available the other day at the same time. I had two of them on hold for months. That has happened to me more than once. I just picked one and sent the rest to the next person in line.

Diablo Mesa - Preston/Child (e-book)

U2 by U2 (from my bookcase)

I am really looking forward to the next Anne Hillerman book. I think it comes out in April.

• 3 weeks later...

With Solid Sound ahead, I've decided I wanted to read Michelle Zauner's autobiography, detailing her young adulthood with her Korean mother, and her mother's passing from cancer. Michelle is Japanese Breakfast.

Has anyone else read this? I'm about 2/3rds through the book, and I'm so in love with her writing! She is a gifted, insightful writer as well as a talented musician. It's a book I'm enjoying so much that I'm already sorry it will inevitably end. So human, so moving. So powerful!

"Crying In H Mart", by Michelle Zauner. 

On 2/20/2022 at 2:34 AM, Analogman said:

I had 3 e-books become available the other day at the same time. I had two of them on hold for months. That has happened to me more than once. I just picked one and sent the rest to the next person in line.

Diablo Mesa - Preston/Child (e-book)

U2 by U2 (from my bookcase)

I am really looking forward to the next Anne Hillerman book. I think it comes out in April.

Diablo Mesa was pretty good. I'm a sucker for the Preston/Child books & have been for a long time.

1 hour ago, chuckrh said:

Diablo Mesa was pretty good. I'm a sucker for the Preston/Child books & have been for a long time.

I think Amazon should turn the books into a show. 

• Like 1

Reading  Heylin's The Double Life of Bob Dylan - A Restless, Hungry Feeling (1941-1966).

I have a few chapters left ----- it's been a while since I read a Dylan bio -- still amazed how much he wrote before 66. 

Heylin is a blow hard - but it is well researched.  

Looking forward to future volumes -- I am assuming there will be. 

Hardcover The Double Life of Bob Dylan: A Restless, Hungry Feeling, 1941-1966 Book

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Analogman said:

Is he the one that exposed Dylan's secret marriage and daughter several years back?

I believe that was Howard Sounes who revealed that -- Heylin takes a jab or two at Sounes in the book. 

11 hours ago, kidsmoke said:

I need to read this! He writes beautifully.

It's a great story. And you are right, he writes beautifully.  My wife knew Amor Towles in high school. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just read Frankenstein.  It was great - and really different than what I was expecting (based on comic books and cartoons).

I read it, in part, because I recently read Rob Delaney's really good but sad book (A Heart That Works) about the death of his young son.  He references Frankenstein a number of times in talking about loss and grief.   

• Like 2

Duplicity: My Mothers' Secrets eBook : Freed, Donna: Kindle Store -  Amazon.com

Just finished this one.  I went to college with the author.  At a reunion a few years ago, I asked how she'd been and she told me this whole story in about 10 minutes. :o  She was entertaining when I knew her back then, and she's still incredibly entertaining now!