Wilco — 16 April 2022, New York, NY (United Palace) [Night 2 of 5]

Honestly I was worried about the short set after hearing about last night, but tonight’s show was one of the best Wilco shows I’ve ever seen. To say they are just playing YHF doesn’t do it justice. You will appreciate that album more seeing how they are playing it on this tour.  It’s really special stuff.

I did of course appreciate the longer encore this time though! 

• Like 2

Guess Jeff got a Shot in the Arm after first show!!! Will they offer tickets to their solid sound festival for folks that went to the Short Show???

Glad he was humbled by the response to Friday's show.

• Confused 2

Jeff and Wilco as a whole have always been great about keeping their finger on the pulse of their fanbase. I’m going to tonight’s (Sunday) show, and I bought tickets really just to hear what they would do with YHF.

Seems like that has been a unanimous success; everything else they play is a bonus to me. I’ve been to super long Wilco shows, and if prior SS’s are any indication, we’ll get those at the end of May. 

I hope everyone truly enjoyed themselves last night, and I can’t wait for this evening. 

• Like 2

I truly enjoyed myself last night. Had I gone to Night 1, I too would have been perplexed by the short show, but I certainly would not have renounced my fandom.  Jeff was very gracious to acknowledge the rumblings and he thanked the crowd for allowing Wilco the opportunity to make amends with a longer set. Very nice.

I enjoyed hearing the "album version" of the songs. I've read comments from people who felt this approach was "limiting" ; if one wants to hear the extended jam versions of YHF songs, there is a good chance to hear any 4 or 5 YHF songs any given regular show. This was a special chance to hear the songs as recorded, and I am glad for this opportunity.  if anything it may have been extra work for the band to try to recreate that sound, as opposed to playing "loose."

I wonder how deep the band will go with deep cuts. Venus Stopped the Train? Won't Ever Let You Down?  Nothing Up My Sleeve? I'm guessing Cars Can't Escape is about as deep it will get, and that's OK.

I am not entirely sure if the band put the kibbosh on taping or if that was a venue policy. The venue seems to run a very tight ship in certain regards. I was told, firmly, to not take photos with my point and shoot camera, yet many people were taking videos with their phones all night. Go figure. Here are some of my iphone pics.

I am looking forward to two more nights of this!

• Like 5

Went last night to show #2 of the run and went in a bit disappointed by the shortened set of the previous night.  However, when Jeff came out and 'turned on the radio', all of that disappointment washed away.  I had a feeling of them inviting us into the studio to watch them perform and record the YHF album in front of us.  The light bulb went on and I got it.  When they came out for the encores and Jeff stated the importance of the presentation but then mentioning about 'meeting us halfway' and playing a few more songs - I mean what band is that in touch with it's fans?  Great show.  Great band.

• Like 9

Hi all. Total newbie in here so I hope you’ll be patient with my long post! Spoiler alert: I ultimately loved this show. 
 I discovered these forums when I googled the April 15 set list to get a feel for what to expect when I went on Saturday. The upset over the Friday show was concerning. I think I went into the show feeling wary, so was a little more put off than I might have otherwise been by a few things at the beginning. Like, even though Ticketmaster made the unusual move of emailing a stern warning to be in our seats at 7:30 for a prompt start, it started at 7:45 and even then the theater was maybe half full. People were being seated during the whole opening act. *shrug*. I was in my seat at 7:30 because I was there to hear the whole bloody album and wasn’t going to risk missing the opening to one of the greatest songs ever recorded. As an aside, it’s a weird venue for a rock & roll show. But a pretty good one for a doing a YHF album show. 
I admit I also found the openers very good but it seemed like an odd energy to lead into Wilco. which I feel bad saying given how effusive Jeff was about them. 
But once the show got going I LOVED it. Hearing the album like that with no in between song patter meant I could be totally absorbed in it. The band and the added musicians were just incredible. Jeff’s endless guitars helped demonstrate that this was not an easy show to put on. 

Jeff was funny and charming in his comments in the encore. Although I appreciated that they responded to fans, and the encore was great, it honestly just felt like a second concert tacked on and I may be one of the few people who would have been happy with the first night! It probably helps that I haven’t seen Wilco in a very long time so didn’t have expectations of what Wilco show should be. But this was a YHF show and for me it definitely delivered. 

• Like 8
On 4/17/2022 at 6:55 AM, Cajun said:

Guess Jeff got a Shot in the Arm after first show!!! Will they offer tickets to their solid sound festival for folks that went to the Short Show???

Glad he was humbled by the response to Friday's show.

I wouldn’t say he was humbled by anything.

• Like 2