$240 for a ticket before fees is pretty insane as well.  

So that’s a 21% add on fee.

I paid a 37% add on fee for a Kurt Vile ticket recently, and a 50% add on fee for a Calexico ticket. Face value of each were less than 15% of the face value of your Wilco ticket, but it’s the principle of the thing.

It’s all insane.

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen my last Wilco show.  I am priced out.

• Sad 1

The fees (& prices) are out of control. With LiveNation & AXS you can basically count on paying the price of 3 tickets for 2. The smaller promoters & ticket services are being somewhat less greedy. I got row S for Bob Dylan & paid $330 for 2 tickets. I didn't even check the first 10 rows. The first 10 rows for Crowded House were $300 a ticket & that's before fees. I'm passing on some shows that I would've went to in the past. Just can't afford it. One example is Robert Plant & Allison Krauss. The cheapest tickets were $80 before parking & service charges. Reluctant pass. On the other hand, the Amyl & the Sniffers show I went to this week wasn't in the LiveNation/AXS zone & was quite reasonable. Ticket were $25 & the service fee was $5. I'd much rather support artists like that. I understand why but Wilco seem to be heavily into monetizing the past year or so. Best make hay whilst the sun shines but if the trend continues things will most likely slow down for them.

• Like 2

Ugh. I despise Ticketbastard. If anybody has an extra pair of decent tickets to San Diego's show, give a holler. I got tickets but I'm not thrilled with them. But tickets in the triple-letter sections (closest blocs of seats) began at almost $200 each! I thought at the presale these were about $60 each, what gives?:realmad

Note: the presale was just the day before yesterday.

I was just checking back, and the few remaining seats in those closest blocs are now listing individually at as much as $409 apiece. Direct from TM, not a secondhand scalper. The ticketing world has lost its mind.

• Like 3

I see there are even substantial fees on the Solid Sound live stream tickets, e.g. $50 + $11.85 fee for a stream of the three Wilco shows.  I rolled my eyes.  Nope, not paying it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • 1 month later...

Today I was going to buy a $35 ticket to see Demetri Martin in September.  Went to check out and the total was $55.  That’s a 57% increase in the ticket price due to fees.  That may be a record, as far as what I’ve come across.  I cancelled the sale.  Sorry Demetri.

• Sad 1
51 minutes ago, brownie said:

Today I was going to buy a $35 ticket to see Demetri Martin in September.  Went to check out and the total was $55.  That’s a 57% increase in the ticket price due to fees.  That may be a record, as far as what I’ve come across.  I cancelled the sale.  Sorry Demetri.

The big villains' in that seem to be LiveNation & AXS. Smaller promoters have far more reasonable fees. Here in Seattle, the Crocodile Cafe reopened in a new location & aren't affiliated with the big boys. Service charges are more like $10 a ticket or less.

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

Ok, this is probably one of the most outrageous things I’ve seen yet:  Almost Queen, a Queen tribute band, is charging $100 + $25 fees = $125 for the best seats at the Wellmont Theater in Montclair, NJ.  A tribute band!  I’ve seen them and they’re very good, but holy cow, that price for a tribute band???!!!!  Maybe some insane people will pay that much for a tribute band. 

• Sad 1
40 minutes ago, brownie said:

Ok, this is probably one of the most outrageous things I’ve seen yet:  Almost Queen, a Queen tribute band, is charging $100 + $25 fees = $125 for the best seats at the Wellmont Theater in Montclair, NJ.  A tribute band!  I’ve seen them and they’re very good, but holy cow, that price for a tribute band???!!!!  Maybe some insane people will pay that much for a tribute band. 

Yes, it's out of control unless you get a venue that's not run by AEG or LiveNation. Even that is hit & miss. I've been buying baseball tickets lately via Ticketmaster & surprisingly the fees aren't that bad for those. Playoff tickets are spendy though but MLB dictates that to a certain extent. I got 2 games yesterday that wll be refunded if the games don't happen & the fees were "only" about 10%. I have slowed way down on concerts though. I only have 2 on the books for the rest of the year & a few next year. If Jeff Beck tacks on a date in Seattle at the end of his tour I'll probably bite on that just because Jeff is getting up there. Unlike a lot of his peers, Jeff has lost nothing in his playing despite his age. He's always different, too. He was real important in my rock & roll growing up. He changed my whole musical path in 1976 when I saw him open for Aerosmith & he totally destroyed them. Have seen him a lot over the years & he always blows me away. I"m hoping if we do get a date it will be after Johnny Depp is done with the tour. If that doesn't happen it's Afghan Whigs next week & Flaming Lips with Particle Kid (yay!!!!) opening in November.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, chuckrh said:

I"m hoping if we do get a date it will be after Johnny Depp is done with the tour. If that doesn't happen it's Afghan Whigs next week & Flaming Lips with Particle Kid (yay!!!!) opening in November.

Yea - I don't know what he was thinking there. That album is horrible. It's a shame he and Rod can't do more that a couple of shows every so many years. 

• Like 1