Rest in Peace, Children of Uvalde, TX

Make it stop.:( Please, help make it stop.

Wherever you are, whoever, whatever the means you have...influence, money, a voice, passion on this horrible subject....

Speak up. Speak up!

Make it stop. Keep pushing until it stops. Make it stop however you, personally, can. 

Between us all we'll create the will to end the gun lobby. 

• Like 2

I was a teacher when Sandy Hook happened.  They called us all into school very early in the morning the next day for an emergency faculty meeting.  Everyone was beyond horrified and thought for sure it could never happen again.  Ten years later and here we are again.  I’m retired now, but am guessing there will be emergency faculty meetings again this morning.  

And, more local to me, where I go, and how I travel, there’s the man who was randomly shot dead on the subway in the Canal St. area of NYC while on his way to brunch on the other day.  

Ten people gunned down in a grocery store in Buffalo, NY just a few days before that.

Horrible. All of it.

These are things we all do: go to school/work, go to the grocery store, hop on a train.

I truly do not understand why these things continue to happen. They happen so frequently now there is no time to get over the latest one before the next one happens.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just awful. I teach. Earlier this year, right before winter break, some kids spread rumors about an upcoming shooting in our school. Half the parents came to pick up their kids. Then, the nationwide tik tok threat (most of you probably don't even remember that in our current shitstorm), lots of kids missed several days before break. A renewed call to arm teachers. The same damn politicians who don't trust us with our JOBS want to arms us.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7th grade teacher here. I don't see my students until 9:10 and I still can't figure out what to say. I just can't look them in the eye and tell them it is going to get better when I know it won't. Nothing is going to change. All bets are off once tragedies like Sandy Hook became acceptable in our country.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

For me,  Patterson Hood put it best in " Thoughts & Prayers:"

When my children's eyes look at me and they ask me to explain
It hurts me that I have to look away
The powers that be are in for shame and comeuppance
When Generation Lockdown has their day
They'll throw the bums all out and drain the swamp for real
Perp walk them down the Capitol steps and show them how it feels
Tramp the dirt down, Jesus, you can pray the rod they'll spare
Stick it up your ass with your useless thoughts and prayers
Glory, hallelujah
You are in our thoughts and prayers
Glory, hallelujah
Glory, hallelujah

• Like 2
1 hour ago, chisoxjtrain said:

7th grade teacher here. I don't see my students until 9:10 and I still can't figure out what to say. I just can't look them in the eye and tell them it is going to get better when I know it won't. Nothing is going to change. All bets are off once tragedies like Sandy Hook became acceptable in our country.

7th grade too. Exactly my sentiment.

58 minutes ago, Chez said:

For me,  Patterson Hood put it best in " Thoughts & Prayers:"

When my children's eyes look at me and they ask me to explain
It hurts me that I have to look away
The powers that be are in for shame and comeuppance
When Generation Lockdown has their day
They'll throw the bums all out and drain the swamp for real
Perp walk them down the Capitol steps and show them how it feels
Tramp the dirt down, Jesus, you can pray the rod they'll spare
Glory, hallelujah
Glory, hallelujah
Glory, hallelujah

Man, I hadn't thought about that song in a long time. Will have to fire it up later.

Today was my kid's last day of school (4th and 6th grade) --- both stoked for the summer.

Sadly, I can imagine the slain kids/teachers (as well as the survivors) talking about the upcoming summer vacation, yesterday...

I would love a complete ban, but it has to be much, much harder to purchase guns, ammo, and body armor  ( I am not even sure why the hell body armor is buyable by the general public). 

• Like 2

I spoke to two teachers today.  One who still works in the district I worked in ten years ago when Sandy Hook happened, where there was an emergency faculty meeting in the very early hours before school where everyone was distraught.  The other works in the district I retired from 7 months ago.

Both teachers told me their districts completely ignored the recent events in Texas.  I was shocked, although I probably shouldn’t be.  It did cement in my head that retiring from public education was a very good decision.  Best of luck to all the teachers here.  You will need it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • 1 month later...

I wonder if Hixter’s views on guns have changed any? Sadly, I doubt it. I am also genuinely interested in hearing his thoughts on January 6. Lastly, does he still view Trump in the same way as June 3, 2016 (the last time he posted on VC)? Since he hasn’t visited since June 6, 2016, I’d wager I won’t get a response.

I apologize if this isn’t the appropriate thread to ask the last two questions.

I retired June, 1 after 36 years years as a public high school teacher. I am glad that I no longer have to worry about a shooting occurring while teaching at my school. I still have to worry about a shooting occurring while doing anything else, though.

• Like 3