Post Solid Sound Roundup!

Wow, what a blur of a weekend! Moments are beginning to swim back in my memory now...little details forgotten in the rush of actually living it.

Remembering sitting on the deck above Courtyard C, hanging on to one of the few shady tables on Sunday. Clamboring down the steps we saw 4 guys wearing origami hats made of the big fold-out Mass MoCA maps. We laughed in admiration!

I hadleft my hat behind at my lodging when a clear day was predicted...it was scotchguarded against rain...but never had thought it would be hot enough to wish for a hat.

So being right next to the museum lobby, I trundled inside and came back with a couple of the maps. My friend Carol & I unfolded them and tried to think how to create a hat. One table over, a stranger heard us and volunteered that she might know how. So she joined our table & went at her task. Soon, she had crafted 2 serviceable pointy-topped hats. My love of overpacking meant that I even had a pair of hair clips to fasten it securely! Rarely has anything in my wardrobe received so many compliments.:P I gave full credit to Sherri....my new friend. Funny how we make new friends.

I wore it the rest of the day, even at the rail for Tweedy & friends, even after the shade had slid over us & it was no longer necessary. At that point it had become a party hat.

Tell me about your memories! They drift away too fast.

20220529_144506.jpg

• Like 4
3 hours ago, worldrecordplayer said:

We spent parts of Friday and Saturday hiding from the rain, and all-day Sunday hiding from the sun! It was blazing. 

At least I didn't haul all that rain gear across the continent for nothing! It got well used.😆

So many great memories. Because I had so much convalescent time during winter and early spring, I spent hours entertaining myself by turning Solid Sound into a vacation and planning every little detail. My agenda went out the window before sundown last Thursday, yet I couldn't be more happy. I haven't seen everything I wanted to see. I didn't see every set I wanted to see. But I still experienced some incredible musical performances. Having one illness after another this year, I haven't had much time with other people. Consequently - or maybe just because of the quality of the company with whom I shared the experience of this year's festival - I'm most thankful for each person with whom I shared a moment of a magical weekend. It stuns me that I nearly missed out on so many experiences and friendships because I nearly decided not to go. For reasons that are now lost on me I didn't want to accept an invitation to attend 2019's festival. Even with the offer of a free ticket. In one long weekend I'm pretty sure I just made up for all the fun, laughter, and camaraderie that I didn't experience during the first four months of 2022. There's something powerful about genuine connectedness among people when it happens, and it seems like there's something special happening when a group of Wilco fans gather. I couldn't be more grateful to be along for the ride.

Also, the dumplings. My God, those dumplings.   

• Like 4

Seeing a marten dart across the road in front of us while driving back to Jacksonville, VT on an isolated stretch of highway, was a highlight. I was excited to see Sylvan Esso, but damn, I was not expecting to enjoy it that much. What a set. We’ve seen Neko Case several times, but when she covered Connie Smith, that had to be the clearest, most powerful, commanding Neko we’ve ever heard. Wow! I wouldn’t have been surprised if I had never again heard ‘’What Light’’ live. The extreme joy we experienced while it played, with beautiful, tearful thoughts and memories of our youngest daughter, who died in 2018, was the highest of highlights.

• Like 2

I've only missed the (2013?) cover show year (Best Man at Oldest Friends wedding) but for the Saturday show, I think I liked the set list more than any other SS. I'll have to go and listen to them all again to be sure but I thought it was a nice mix of more current songs with less reliance on YHF & BT. 

I think Broccoli man was new this year. 

I really liked the Bonnie Prince Billy set. I  loved that he pushed the envelope in a location dedicated to modern art. That said, my entire tribe abandoned me (including wife) for swag shopping, so I'm either way off mark or eccentric.

4FB08D63-22CA-4FE6-8745-AC40F4721DEA.jpeg

• Like 1

Loved meeting people that I have known for 20 years (and embarrassingly never met in person) - Donna, Uyen, Paul, Brianne and then all the new friends at the Vbro booking.  

- Biking the Erie Canal Pathway from Buffalo to Albany with the braintrust of Postcard from Hell

- being reminded to listen to the Connells by Boss Tweedy and then infecting him with the ear worm that is Bella White

- Standing beside Uyen for a Tweedy Sonic experiment and having her tell me that Japanese Breakfast was a metre away. 

- PBP amazing set

- Friday's Wilco set. This new album is fantastic and bringing me back to fandom. 

- Freaking out on the Sat Wilco set about all these unmasked people and then having my hatred for Impossible Germany making me bail. 

- Trying all the culinary delicacies of upstate NY (Beef on Weck, Garbage plates, Chicken Riggies) 

- Figuring how the fuck Aqueducts from 1830 still work

284963964_10160761120845449_1085960179568297263_n.jpeg

284699739_10160761120975449_7917374249900755814_n.jpeg

284377940_10160757802500449_1156837676387712335_n.jpeg

283875656_10160753099600449_1223081727607422546_n.jpeg

283714168_10160750784760449_8843303594640493629_n.jpeg

• Like 4

We've been to all except SS#1 in 2010, and this year's lineup held the least appeal. Even so, the rain dissuaded us from being on site for a couple of the acts I most wanted to see--Mike Watt and Will Oldham. Glad we caught Japanese Breakfast and Terry Allen. Friday night's Wilco set was nearly as wonderful as 2013's covers night or the Being There/YHF set, truly magical--especially the encores--and Saturday's equally strong. The dumplings were delish. My wife and I ascertained the best deal was the red curry set (a full order of dumplings with coconut rice and curry). Here's hoping they move it back to late June (possibly even next year).

• Like 1