Wilco — 5 September 2023, Manchester, England, UK (Bridgewater Hall)

After a panic over a family illness I was so glad I was able to make it to this one. Fantastic performance and some good natured banter from Jeff about it being a seated venue! Nels, as ever, was on fire. And it was already a great night an hour before the gig started because I bumped into Glenn outside 😊 Setlist here courtesy of somebody more organised than me https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/wilco/2023/the-bridgewater-hall-manchester-england-3ba28884.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I was at the front and man it was weird at first being seated that close for a gig. Tried standing up but no one really joined in until the encore. I know Mogwai played there a few years back but it's so strange being seated for a rock gig in the stalls.

It was excellent once I got used to it though, and being like 3-4 metres away from the band at the most was mind blowing. I'm a musician and geeked out about being able to see how they actually play the parts right in front of me. Closest I've been for a Wilco gig which happily coincided with the best performance of Impossible Germany I've heard Nels play. Pat's playing on Bird Without a Tail / Base of My Skull was brilliant as well, and Jeff on Spiders was also a treat. Love an audience singalong to the instrumental parts as well.

First time I've seen Courtney Marie Andrews live. Her set sounded fantastic and her singing on You And I and California Stars for the encore was top. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Glenn's Stick Bag said:

I think there was a reluctance to stand up because of the venue being quite formal? I was surprised when this venue was announced but couldn’t fault the performance. 

Yeah for sure, and I think because it suited CMA's set so much the vibe kind of stuck for a while. I wonder if there just wasn't an appropriate venue available when it was booked. It was a top show though, it's an amazing sounding room (though I heard more from the amps on stage than the PA).

• Like 1

Ta all.

I'm sure H.R.H. will barge in and complain about the thread naming not adhering to convention though (in his usual good-natured way so don't panic about it). :D 

915369c227a85e9db50913aa37e25124a0601118

EDIT: According to the online users list he may be very well creating a parallel thread as we speak unaware that you've nipped in first.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Well it appears that the Mancunians on here have Wilcomania...at least relative to anywhere else on this tour! Welcome, all ye new and perhaps old posters who have chimed in about the gig at the Bridgewater Hall. All I ask, as your humble Via Chicago correspondent, is if you start a thread to discuss a show on here — and I don't mind at all if someone else other than me does it — please just stick to the titling convention of the other threads, so we can keep things consistent. Thank you (and mods, if you could please merge this thread and that other one.)

I shall endeavour to not lag too far behind in recaps for the next few shows, but travel challenges are definitely going to put a crimp in my energy level and connectivity, so please bear with me — and check back, if you're interested in my blatherings...

For now, here was the setlist, as played, for the gig at the Bridgewater Hall (I didn't glimpse the printed setlist, so can't say if there were any changes/omissions):

Hell Is Chrome

Handshake Drugs

I Am My Mother

Cruel Country

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart

Kamera

I'll Fight

Muzzle Of Bees

Hummingbird

Bird Without A Tail/Base Of My Skull

Random Name Generator

Sunken Treasure

Evicted

Impossible Germany

Jesus, etc.

Box Full Of Letters

The Late Greats

Heavy Metal Drummer

A Shot In The Arm

--------------------------------------------

Falling Apart (Right Now)

You And I (w/Courtney Marie Andrews on vocals)

California Stars (w/Courtney Marie Andrews on vocals, Sean Mullins on keyboards and Taylor Zachry and Shireen Lilith on percussion)

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

12 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Ta all.

I'm sure H.R.H. will barge in and complain about the thread naming not adhering to convention though (in his usual good-natured way so don't panic about it). :D

EDIT: According to the online users list he may be very well creating a parallel thread as we speak unaware that you've nipped in first.

Oh, I'm VERY aware! You are a maniacal fellow, Tatlock, and you know me too well. H.R.H., though? Well, I say...how dare you? :usa

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, bböp said:

Oh, I'm VERY aware! You are a maniacal fellow, Tatlock, and you know me too well. H.R.H., though? Well, I say...how dare you? :usa

Not as well as some who've shared a bathtub with you obviously. Anyway, you'll be back . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgiyq7rqWhg

• Haha 1
  • Analogman changed the title to Wilco — 5 September 2023, Manchester, England, UK (Bridgewater Hall)

Seems the only way to get a Wilco crowd standing is to remove the seats.... :yes. Having said that, they're not the 'danciest' of bands. Also, I saw them at the Forum in London last week, and it was a pretty old audience, (no complaints there, I'm definitely in the 'old' category. 67 old?... I think so). We were in the balcony which was seated. I'm not used to being in the balcony as I like to be a part of the fun and not just looking in on it, but we had a great view and the sound was fantastic, so we were quite glad to be able to rest our legs. I guess the downstairs crowd might have been a bit younger...?

• Like 2