Setlists

So is it me or have the sets over the past few tours remained relatively unchanged night after night. There's like 3 or 4 charges in the usual places but if my memory serves me right Wilco used to change up the setlists more frequently from night to night. I've seen several shows over the past two album tours and it's getting a little lazy. For a band with 13 albums and hundreds of songs it's kinda lazy to play just the hits.

I'd say these setlists are typical of setlists introducing a new album. Their priority is to present the new songs, while simultaneously including past favorites the audience will hope to hear. This early in a tour of a new album, it's unreasonable to think they won't stick to a fairly tight setlist to fit it all in. We'll see the setlists expand & loosen up once everyone around Wilco World has had a chance to hear their newest. First things first.

I've seen several shows from the current tour and they were all pretty satisfying. I thought the "Cousin" material was strong and captivating, but it was nice then to slip inside a familiar favorite like Handshake Drugs or something unexpected from that vast back catalog. They have a lot of songs to remember at this point!

Anyway, catch them down the line a bit when their focus is less strongly on Cousin, and you'll get more of that mix you're hoping for. I don't think anyone in this band could be called lazy. Right now they're more "focused".

• Like 2

Obviously Impossible Germany is going to be staple of nearly every show. It's just a little frustrating that going into a show now I'm pretty certain I'm going to hear trying to break your heart, handshake drugs, jesus etc, heavy metal drummer, hummingbird no matter what tour it is. These are champagne problems I know..I guess I just go to too many shows lol.

• Haha 1

Not so long ago (October 2022) they played two shows  in New Orleans and only repeated one song. It was awesome.

Lots of songs they don't play much anymore:

Opened w/ Misunderstood

Far, Far Away

Cry All Day

At Least That's What You Said

Sunken Treasure

Whole Love

Born Alone

Via Chicago

Second night gems:

A Shot in the Arm

Kamera

Random Name Generator

Poor Places into......

Reservations

Everyone Hides

Hummingbird

Forget the Flowers

Theologians

I'm The Man Who Loves You

Monday

U.S. Blues

• Like 1

Seems like other than special events (SSF, SBS, noted no-repeat runs, etc.) they have been fairly static since the Star Wars tours in 2015.  I think I read something where Jeff said that they "curated a program" and wanted to stick to it.  Kind of frustrating as someone who likes to see multiple show runs when possible, but its also kind of typical for a rock band (non-jam edition).

• Like 1

By my count, Wilco has released 184 songs from studio albums, including Mermaid Avenue 1 and 2. That is a lot of lyrics/chords/arrangements to remember. I seem to remember listening to a podcast with Mikael around the time of Ode to Joy saying they are picking and practicing set lists based on how they want to present a show and the amount of gear they'd have to bring on tour. I'm just glad Wilco is still going strong. They can play practically the same set every night I see them and I'd be happy.

• Like 2

What I find fascinating about the pared-down core set list is that it largely (not entirely, but largely) ignores the band's output from 2009 through 2022 (and, to a certain extent, much of 2007's Sky Blue Sky) even though the albums from that period are the ones that feature the current iteration of the band. In other words, when Wilco plays sets that are heavy on YHF and AGIB with the current lineup, they're a bit of a cover band.

Having seen the band do a three-night, no-repeat residency only eight months ago, they still seem pretty good at executing an expansive and diverse set list.

• Like 3
55 minutes ago, tinnitus photography said:

Guided By Voices is in a similar place but with even way more material to draw from. the set list is gonna have a handful or two of songs from the last 2-3 records, about a dozenor two classics that don't change much and then the rest are things pulled from this current lineup's output. 

True.  I'm still astounded that GBV brings it every damn night with a 50+ song set list.  Bob has never had an unrecorded thought.

• Haha 1
On 11/17/2023 at 2:59 PM, Brian F. said:

What I find fascinating about the pared-down core set list is that it largely (not entirely, but largely) ignores the band's output from 2009 through 2022 (and, to a certain extent, much of 2007's Sky Blue Sky) even though the albums from that period are the ones that feature the current iteration of the band. In other words, when Wilco plays sets that are heavy on YHF and AGIB with the current lineup, they're a bit of a cover band.

Having seen the band do a three-night, no-repeat residency only eight months ago, they still seem pretty good at executing an expansive and diverse set list.

Yeah, if there's any record the band has been touring since it came out, it's the Kicking Television live album. 20 years later, and those songs are the ones that still stick in the set, along with the Being There encore songs. How many songs from the current lineup's studio output have really stuck? "Impossible Germany," obviously. Otherwise, nothing as permanent. Still, outside of a few truly deep and forgotten cuts, anything is possible during a multi-night stand.