Not For the Seasons (Laminated Cat)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I don't know if anyone cares, but I think the fingerpicking pattern is something like (based off the 3 5 05 Vic Show):

e|---------0----

b|-----------3--

g|--------------

d|----0---------

a|------0-------

e|--h3----------

Edited by Groo
For this song, I play it like this:

e|-2

b|-3

g|-0

d|-0

a|-2

e|-0

Notice that fretting the A on the second fret adds a B note to the D chord, thus a D/B. :rock

However, leaving the G open makes that a Gmaj7. :P

Of course, everyone loves maj7 chords. Who could hate the maj7 chord? I sure can't.

I've tried playing it with drop D, and it doesn't sound right to me. On the IATTBYH DVD, Jeff plays it with a capo on 2, though.

You need a D on that low string to get the little lick he does at the very beginning and just after the vocals. Otherwise the dropped D isn't esential.

You need a D on that low string to get the little lick he does at the very beginning and just after the vocals. Otherwise the dropped D isn't esential.

I think I've seen 3 different ways to play this lick, and not all of them require a drop d...

I think I've seen 3 different ways to play this lick, and not all of them require a drop d...

Yeah, but the ones that don't require a drop D are wrong.

Without having a guitar present I can't verify, but listening to the song (and from what I can remember) it seems like it's drop D capo 2, which is why it seems like you can play the lick in standard tuning without a capo (since they would both have low E's). But then you'd have to play other shapes for the other chords and you would generally not be playing it like Jeff Tweedy does (which is, generally speaking, the easiest way to play it).

Yeah, but the ones that don't require a drop D are wrong.

Without having a guitar present I can't verify, but listening to the song (and from what I can remember) it seems like it's drop D capo 2, which is why it seems like you can play the lick in standard tuning without a capo (since they would both have low E's). But then you'd have to play other shapes for the other chords and you would generally not be playing it like Jeff Tweedy does (which is, generally speaking, the easiest way to play it).

The Wilco full band versions circa 2002 were most definitely in D using a dropped D tuning. These ar ethe ones I play along with, so I feel pretty confident about that. I think the Loose Fur version was the same, though looking at that other tab maybe another tuning using a low D was used.

I suppose in some cases (solo versions) he does it dropped D capo 2. In that case, as you said, you can use standard tuning but the chord voicings won't be exactly the same. Personally, I like the sound of the D to "pseudo D/B", capo or not.

The tab that I posted at the beginning of this thread does not mention dropped D tuning because the initial request was for the chords to the song. And when I posted it, I was thinking about Tweedy's solo version of the song.

For the record, I do think the solo version of the song is in dropped D tuning and it makes the lick at the beginning of the song more effective/easier. That lick sure aint easy though...

I always do this when I am at work so I am forced to do it from memory, but for the folks out there that play the lick in dropped D tuning, is this how you play it? Am I remembering it right? Damn I wish I had my guitar here.

D -------0--4h2h4--0

(That's relative to the capo on 2)

• 2 months later...
I've tried playing it with drop D, and it doesn't sound right to me. On the IATTBYH DVD, Jeff plays it with a capo on 2, though.

try it capo on 2, but without the low e capoed. you have to use it upside down, but you dont have to retune and it sounds right to me.

try it capo on 2, but without the low e capoed. you have to use it upside down, but you dont have to retune and it sounds right to me.

That works fine as well.

Not for the Season - Jeff solo with Glenn.
well, this is in open D when Jeff plays with Glenn.

below is the main riff (notated as [R]):

- 0 - 0 0
- 0 - 0 0
- 0 0 0
0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0
0 0 2s4				   x4

you can slide or hammer, it really doesn't matter.  [R] means you play that riff 4 times before moving on

for the parts he sings, it sounds like he just bars across the whole fretboard.

[D] - bar none
[G] - bar 5
[A] - bar 7

[R]

[D]
Springtime comes and the leaves are back on the trees again
							[G]
Snipers are harder to see my friends
					 [A]
Weeding out the weekends

[R]

[D]
Summer comes and gravity undoes you
																		 [G]
You're happy because of the lovely way the sunshine bends
Hiding from your close friends
[A]
Weeding out the weekends

[R]

[G]						  [A]
Candy left over from Halloween
[D]					   [G]
A unified theory of everything
						 [A]
Love left over from lovers leaving
[D]									 [G]
Books, they all know they're not worth reading
				  [A]
It's not for the season

[R]

[D]
When autumn comes you sit in your chair and you stare
		   [G]
At the TV square
Hiding in the deep end
[A]
Weeding out the weekends

[D]
Winter comes and the days all start late
																		 [G]		
There's motion on the boughs where the dark shapes prowl
Feeling out the feelings
[A]
Feeling out the feeling

[G]						  [A]
Candy left over from Halloween
[D]					   [G]
A unified theory of everything
						 [A]
Love left over from lovers leaving
[D]									 [G]
Books, they all know they're not worth reading
				  [A]
It's not for the season

OUTTRO:

currently a work in progress. i'll continue to edit this when i have time.

Edited by poortranslator