Jeff's Solo Setup

he might use two for two separate signals, e.g. pan left, pan right for certain things.

That can all be done at the front of house board. Or with an a/b pedal as discussed earlier in the thread. Using two pickups for that application would make no sense. It is possible, but it wouldn't make any sense.

That is a cool pic, memphisto. I guess that is a radio station, maybe. Surely not a recording studio with no mics. As good as these pickups are, you wold never record through them, unless it was some really strange application, and I guess anything is possible with Wilco. That guitar is awesome. Beautifully broken-in and aged. It just looks like it has songs in it.

Wait, I just realized there is no vocal mic either. I guess this is just backstage or something. But, what is up with the music stand? This pic has me curious.

Edited by jdlee23
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That can all be done at the front of house board. Or with an a/b pedal as discussed earlier in the thread. Using two pickups for that application would make no sense. It is possible, but it wouldn't make any sense.

That is a cool pic, memphisto. I guess that is a radio station, maybe. Surely not a recording studio with no mics. As good as these pickups are, you wold never record through them, unless it was some really strange application, and I guess anything is possible with Wilco. That guitar is awesome. Beautifully broken-in and aged. It just looks like it has songs in it.

Wait, I just realized there is no vocal mic either. I guess this is just backstage or something. But, what is up with the music stand? This pic has me curious.

Hehe.. yeah. interesting pic it is. More here and the full story is here.. You can also get a recording of one of these shows on VC's very own BT tracker.

I just tried the AB-Y setup with my Taylor 414ce, one clean and one through a volume pedal and then the Holy Grail with the "Flerb" setting all the way up. Very cool sounds!

sounds cool... you dont have a clip do you?

This is the shot from the Wilco Book of his 3 pedals, it doesn't look like much to me although I don't know much about guitar gear @_@ There was also commentary on this picture from Jeff Tweedy and Matt Zivich(their stage tech):

pedals.gif

These three things control time. Mix will give you a mixture of dryness to delayed sound. Time of delay can be varied, from short to long. Feedback is the length of the time delay after the fact, until complete decay. This is one of my resistive network designs--they don't make sounds, like most people think; they actually just extend control over other areas.

-Matt Zivich

Used to be labeled Angst, Regret, and Forgiveness. Who changed my settings?

-Jeff Tweedy

Hope this helps some of y'all!

:)

Edited by jackelpdw
This is the shot from the Wilco Book of his 3 pedals, it doesn't look like much to me although I don't know much about guitar gear @_@ There was also commentary on this picture from Jeff Tweedy and Matt Zivich(their stage tech):

pedals.gif

Very cool. Thanks for that. I have been considering getting this same setup. Only problem is the damn Moog Delay costs over $600. I already have a Moog MuRF (multi-resonant filter) that has lots of control voltage possibilities like the delay. It is really cool to have so much control right there at your feet. Really makes the effect pedal become another instrument.

[snip]

just fyi - this is full band electric rig, not his solo set up

Anyone know the guitars Jeff has been using lately solo?

Mostly Gibson J-45s, one or two pre-war Martin guitars...

Interestingly enough, he takes his old guitars with him rather than get a cheaper one, in case they break/get stolen. But I commend him for not wanting to leave such badass guitars at home.

• 3 weeks later...
So, is there a conclusion on what effect Jeff uses on Wait Up? I thought the pedal was a big yellow pedal, I saw the solo show at the Knitting Factory in LA 2001, and had an overhead view of his pedals.

The big yellow pedal is most likely a Digitech XP-300 Space Station. It gets those space-y synth-y sounds.

I'm not sure if this is what he uses on Wait Up. There's a clip of him playing this song on the IATTBYH DVD and it looks like he's stepping on an Ernie Ball Volume pedal on this part so it's probably the same mechanism as decribed above. Also, that part sounds like it's just reverb and I'm not sure the Space Station does JUST that (though it has wacky things like ring modulator, time warp delay, and arpeggiator).

The big yellow pedal is most likely a Digitech XP-300 Space Station. It gets those space-y synth-y sounds.

I'm not sure if this is what he uses on Wait Up. There's a clip of him playing this song on the IATTBYH DVD and it looks like he's stepping on an Ernie Ball Volume pedal on this part so it's probably the same mechanism as decribed above. Also, that part sounds like it's just reverb and I'm not sure the Space Station does JUST that (though it has wacky things like ring modulator, time warp delay, and arpeggiator).

Another thing that occurred to me - instead of all the complicated stuff about an A/B/Y box, is it possible the EB pedal is a stereo pan pedal going into the PA, with one out dry and another into a channel set ~90% wet with reverb?

• 1 month later...
Another thing I'm still not clear on is wether he has two installed in that j45. And if there are 2 then why would you have 2?

He doesn't use two soundhole pickups which would be weird, but whats really fancy is he uses both an m1 soundhole pickup and some kind of internal/piezo pickup. And get this, he has a custom cable/jack with little volume knobs on it so he can mix the two to taste on all of his guitars! Cant blame a guy for trying to make a plugged in acoustic sound right, cause if youve tried you know its hard.

He doesn't use two soundhole pickups which would be weird, but whats really fancy is he uses both an m1 soundhole pickup and some kind of internal/piezo pickup. And get this, he has a custom cable/jack with little volume knobs on it so he can mix the two to taste on all of his guitars! Cant blame a guy for trying to make a plugged in acoustic sound right, cause if youve tried you know its hard.

This isn't all that uncommon in high-end acoustic amplification.

• 3 weeks later...
Actually, it's quite easy, just buy a US-made Ovation. :cheers

Not to be rude, but an ovation is hardly an acoustic. They make that shit outta plastic. To each their own I suppose but I go for that aged wood, kinda martin or gibson sound. But hell Melissa Ethridge loves those plastic backed Ovations and she has had a lot more success then I.

• 3 weeks later...