Autumn Defense 6/2/3006 Schuba's

They were awesome as usual. I love seeing these guys when they come to Chicago, and they were cool enough to play another show here so soon after the last one. Of course, there was a bit too much talking (but when isn't there?). Most of it was situated towards the back, though, so moving up proved to be an effective weapon against it.

I'm sure there are other people that can post set lits/bootlegs (but I'm not that cool). It was nice meeting some of you VCers (however briefly).

didn't get home til late and am still so tired, so i'll just post both setlists for everyone

Court & Spark (might not be the full name of some songs, i wasn't familiar with their music):

Sundowner

Out On The Water

Cool Me Down

Fireworks

Lucia

Bright Phoesus (?)

Let's Get High

Mother Lightning

Rooster Mountain

Piece On Earth

Capaldi

Autumn Defense:

We Would Never Die

Tuesday Morning

Simple Explaination

City Bells

Sun In California

Where You Are

Spend Your Life

The Answer

Winterlight

Iowa City Adeiu

About To Change

Feel U Now

The World Will Soon Turn Our Way

Nothin At All

Encore:

Bluebirds Fall

another song (i forget which one)

Written In The Snow

Thanks for the reviews and setlists.

But please, can you tell us what Chicago is like in the year 3006? Did the White Sox repeat as champs in 2006? Have the Cubs won a championship yet? Did they clone MJ? or Ditka? Does Millenium Park hold up to the test of time a millenium later? Can't wait to hear more stories...

:D

Thanks for the reviews and setlists.

But please, can you tell us what Chicago is like in the year 3006? Did the White Sox repeat as champs in 2006? Have the Cubs won a championship yet? Did they clone MJ? or Ditka? Does Millenium Park hold up to the test of time a millenium later? Can't wait to hear more stories...

:D

I can tell you this: the John and Pat are just heads floating in jars.

For whatever reason, I can't be bothered with the Court and Spark's records, but I do always enjoy seeing them live.
One of their CDs was recommended to me, but I ran out of money, so I didn't get it. Somehow I don't need their albums either, but they were very good in person. I spent a bit of time talking to one of the guitarists. The new bass player is about 6 feet tall and very good.

LouieB

I was not sure if the song was about Jim Capaldi or by him. It was not something I recognized from the Traffic records, but who knows. They played a song by the Watersons, which was pretty cool though. The white suits were a nice touch as well.

LouieB

I'm just wondering how people under 21 get into a 21 and over show,. I would've killed for this talent when I was a kid.

attack with love's dad has been incredibly cool with music stuff lately...he accompanied us to the show and left a few songs into autumn defense's set, but at that point we were in safely so it was all good. we called mr schuba a few days ago and apparently there's a policy that if you're accompanied by a guardian, you are allowed in (not all places are like that, though) so he just put us on some list so we were cleared at the door. anyway, it was an awesome night! court and spark were incredible, im listening to the CD i bought now...very cool. i have a bunch of pictures but havent gotten a chance to upload them yet...i'll post in here when they're up

what a fun evening! it was great having a great dinner at schuba's (yam fries...yum!) followed by a great show. the court and spark were rockin' (though maybe a slightly weird choice to open for AD, but they have opened for them before, so what do i know?) and the AD sounded amazing...great harmonies. i'm loving the new songs too. pat was pretty dang impressive, playing both piano and guitar in the same song. w and i got a chance to talk to john after the show. he is always so good to us that way.

i have to publicly apologize to wendy here, for dying on her somewhere between wanatah and plymouth. i hate that i always fall asleep, though i have been told my nonsensical talk is pretty damn funny.

lastly, groo, i feel kinda bad that i did not get to talk to you more than saying you are sometimes overly antagonistic here at vc. sorry about that...i hope we get a chance to talk more in the future so that i can show you that i am more than just a bitter finger-pointer.

by the way, i ran across some girl's myspace page who has great pictures up from the show...you can find them here: http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...43-19a68c052b85

didn't get home til late and am still so tired, so i'll just post both setlists for everyone

Court & Spark (might not be the full name of some songs, i wasn't familiar with their music):

Sundowner

Out On The Water

Cool Me Down

Fireworks

Lucia

Bright Phoesus (?)

Let's Get High

Mother Lightning

Rooster Mountain

Piece On Earth

Capaldi

Autumn Defense:

We Would Never Die

Tuesday Morning

Simple Explaination

City Bells

Sun In California

Where You Are

Spend Your Life

The Answer

Winterlight

Iowa City Adeiu

About To Change

Feel U Now

The World Will Soon Turn Our Way

Nothin At All

Encore:

Bluebirds Fall

another song (i forget which one)

Written In The Snow

was that other song "tuesday morning"? i could be wrong, but it seems like it was.

lastly, groo, i feel kinda bad that i did not get to talk to you more than saying you are sometimes overly antagonistic here at vc. sorry about that...i hope we get a chance to talk more in the future so that i can show you that i am more than just a bitter finger-pointer.

Don't feel bad, I thought it was pretty funny.

nah, tuesday morning was in the regular set

duh. i just see that now. :stunned

I'm just wondering how people under 21 get into a 21 and over show,. I would've killed for this talent when I was a kid.
I don't know about the other girls, but you had to have a dad like me who is willing to do this. Schubas used to be very loose about getting in, but now you have to arrange it before hand. Other venues are even easier (Fitzgeralds, The Abbey and the Hideout) others won't go for it even with a parent (Metro and Martyrs).

Places that serve food shouldn't be a pain, but sometimes they are.

LouieB

• 2 weeks later...
Any kind souls happen to have a copy of this show?

i don't recall seeing a taper. :hmm

Any kind souls happen to have a copy of this show?
I hate to say this (and i Hope the group doesn't read this either), but there were some better shows that WERE taped at Schubas that are floating around out there. I particularly enjoyed two, the first one and the one when Laurie and John headlined and were backed by the band. Both are available somewhere.

LouieB

I hate to say this (and i Hope the group doesn't read this either), but there were some better shows that WERE taped at Schubas that are floating around out there. I particularly enjoyed two, the first one and the one when Laurie and John headlined and were backed by the band. Both are available somewhere.

LouieB

I see where you're coming from. However, I love to have copies of the shows I went to :music .

I see where you're coming from. However, I love to have copies of the shows I went to :music .
Well you have the fond memories of the music and the companionship of your music loving peers.
Ah, a perfect reason to become a taper...we could use more of us out there in Chicago.
And the tapers are a friendly bunch as well....

LouieB

Well you have the fond memories of the music and the companionship of your music loving peers.

Maybe it was because he was sucking face with his music-loving peer that he needs the tape to remember to songs... :lol