• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Swept by the Yankees! And Oakland about to knock off the Red Sox again. Once again, evil rises in the land of Mordor ...

Oops! El Duque sucks again!

Mackowiak was playing, he misplayed a ball that turned into a double. He doesn't have the speed to be an everyday centerfielder. Anderson pinch-hit for him and went 1-1 with a sacrifice fly.

did that bring Anderson to .195? M's OBA is hovering at .395 or thereabouts

Anderson was terrible at the plate, but his strikeouts are way down and he's been hitting over .300 for the month of July. The White Sox are developing him at the major league level like they developed Joe Crede. Check my post on the first page of this thread about his defense. The propellerheads were pegging him as a net positive over Mackowiak in the same spot even when he was batting .155.

The White Sox are the best team in the game at scoring runs. That's not their problem. Run prevention is where they're suffering.

I like Mack, don't get me wrong, that's just not a natural position for him. He's best used giving someone a day off or covering for an injured player, but he's not an everyday center fielder.

Check out the run production

Anderson (190 ABs): 21 RBI, 27 runs

Mackowiak (165 ABs): 14 RBI, 19 runs

If you pro-rate it, those numbers are pretty similar.

RBI and runs have more to do with a player's batting order than his production. The best way to evaluate production is OPS.

I don't know who is better at OPS, and I probably won't be looking it up.

RBI and runs have more to do with a player's batting order than his production. The best way to evaluate production is OPS.

I don't know who is better at OPS, and I probably won't be looking it up.

Anderson generally has more opportunities for runs (batting 9th, the top of the lineup behind him) and Mackowiak generally has more opportunities for RBIs (batting 7th or 8th) behind the heart of the lineup.

Mackowiak's OPS is much higher. However, like I said, Anderson is developing. :beer

The White Sox are the best team in the game at scoring runs. That's not their problem. Run prevention is where they're suffering.

And that's why I'm still worried. The White Sox are obviously a better pitching team than they've been so far this year. Once they come back to their median they should be preventing runs fairly well, and their offense probably won't slow down much. Could get scary. I hope it doesn't.

The best way to evaluate production is OPS.

OPS is a great way to measure production. Bill James goes into great detail about the context of statistics (how we, as fans, should look at the circumstances surrounding the numbers to truly understand PVR) and the many, many factors that need to be considered. Without turning this into a Bill James clusterfuck, he does a great job of explaining how variables such as home park dimensions, batting order, pitchers faced, etc., etc. all need to be considered to ultimately grasp a player's value.

As most of us neither have the time nor the desire to do this (thankfully, that's Bill James and his ilk's bag) OPS' raw numbers are good indicators. That said, here's a typically moronic Tim McCarver quote on the matter of OPS:

"I only care about on-base percentage if you can run. If you can't run, I could care less about on-base percentage."

Edited by Lammycat
"I only care about on-base percentage if you can run. If you can't run, I could care less about on-base percentage."
yeh, he forgot about the dudes that can knock a double or a homer behind you

hey - that walk a few batters ago just gave us an extra run!!!

I think the Jamesian view of run production would be that Runs Created would be the best metric to use, no? Or RC27 or whatever.

Probably.

I've been playing Baseball Mogul 2007 for the past day. I had the Marlins fall to last place in my first year, but I got enough cash through trades and what not to sign some key Free Agents (josh Beckett and Derrek Lee). We look good now.

I like how the free agents you go after are all guys who were on the team before.

They were young an relatively cheap.

I've also made some trades. Hopefully I can get this stadium deal done soon.