• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:monkey I knew the Tiggers were for real. It's documented on this-here board.

I know. I should have phrased that I'm coming to terms that they are for real. It's been a while for us Tiger fans and it still feels like a cruel dream.

So, uh, Brian Anderson went 3-4 and has ridden a 9-game hitting streak to .212. Meanwhile, the top of the lineup forgot to knock him in, even when he reached second with no outs on a throwing error.

First, Mendoza, next, Dimaggio! :ermm

I've always maintained he should be the starting CF . . .

Next pitch, nonetheless.

2 1/2 back for the Yankees.

Gotta love seein Rivera give up a dinger, walk off no less. Also Mussina kind of ripped into A-Rod for his error last night. I love when the Yankees fight amongst themselves, reminds me of the incident with Reggie Jackson and Billy Martin at Fenway back in 78....which of course turned out to be a horrid year, anyways.

A-Rod has 17 errors this season, I believe that leads the Yankees

Yes. Watching A-Rod suffer has indeed been enjoyable. I think it's finally driven it home to Kaiser George that sometimes, you can't actually buy a pennant.

He's still the best player on the team. Not having his best season, but from one season to the next, there aren't too many other guys in baseball who I'd take over A-Rod. I hate the guy, but he's clearly one of the best players in the game.

I've never understood why so much blame for the Yankees failure to win a championship in the last few years has been placed on A-Rod. As if he was the only one playing these last few seasons. He won the friggin' MVP award last year, and he clearly deserved it. And yet lots of fans talk about him as if he sucks.

The reason the Yanks haven't won in a few years is their pitching. The Yankees fans backlash against him is beyond stupid.

Edited by MrRain422
Gotta love seein Rivera give up a dinger, walk off no less.

I believe the last one he gave up (walk-off) was against the Red Sox in July (24th?) of 2004, to Bill Mueller. This is also known as the game where Varitek shoved his mitt into Slappy McBluelips' annoying mug (though he wasn't known as Slappy McBluelips until the ALCS Game 6).

The reason the Yanks haven't won in a few years is their pitching. The Yankees fans backlash against him is beyond stupid.

Until His Rodness leads the Yanks to a championship, he will always be thought of as bitch in New York. And that's the long and the short of it.

I believe the last one he gave up (walk-off) was against the Red Sox in July (24th?) of 2004, to Bill Mueller. This is also known as the game where Varitek shoved his mitt into Slappy McBluelips' annoying mug (though he wasn't known as Slappy McBluelips until the ALCS Game 6).

Slappy McBluelips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I almost choked on my sandwich, that is friggin' great!

Slappy McBluelips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I almost choked on my sandwich, that is friggin' great!

It's a name dubbed him and bandied around on a Sox sight I frequent....

Classic.

He's still the best player on the team. Not having his best season, but from one season to the next, there aren't too many other guys in baseball who I'd take over A-Rod. I hate the guy, but he's clearly one of the best players in the game.

I've never understood why so much blame for the Yankees failure to win a championship in the last few years has been placed on A-Rod. As if he was the only one playing these last few seasons. He won the friggin' MVP award last year, and he clearly deserved it. And yet lots of fans talk about him as if he sucks.

Last year, pitching did not lose them the Angels series. One clutch by anyone (not just ARod), and they win the series. Throw out Randy's awful Game 3 and their pitching was good enough to win that series.

His booing does get out of hand, but that's what you get when you come to NY and you're the highest paid player in the game (Beltran got booed on opening day). He's a big boy, he can take it.

Until His Rodness leads the Yanks to a championship, he will always be thought of as bitch in New York. And that's the long and the short of it.

Randy Johnson hasn't led the Yanks to a championship, and in fact has been largely disappointing in the regular season since joining the Yankees, too. But how much criticism does he receive from those fans? Also, how long do those earlier championships count for the other players? Do past championships forever get you a free pass for all future play? I understand that the fans want a championship, I just don't understand why A-Rod gets all the blame, when he's the largest reason that they keep making the playoffs to begin with.

Edited by MrRain422
Sons of Sam Horn

I figured it was that one, I don't really go there much though......I hope we do some damage out west this week, we need to pay back Oakland big time

Randy Johnson hasn't led the Yanks to a championship, and in fact has been largely disappointing in the regular season since joining the Yankees, too. But how much criticism does he receive from those fans? Also, how long do those earlier championships count for the other players? Do past championships forever get you a free pass for all future play? I understand that the fans want a championship, I just don't understand why A-Rod gets all the blame, when he's the largest reason that they keep making the playoffs to begin with.

Simply because he's the 25$ million man. I don't care who you play for, when you make that kinda dough the expectation is you will single-handedly win championships. Of course it's an unreal expectation but thats the way it is.

All this talk about A-Rod in NYC got me to thinking: Let's just assume the Tigers could pull off a trade for A-Rod. Given his less-than-spectacular post-season performance historically, if you were Dave Dombrowski do you make the trade, assuming you have to give up Guillen or Inge plus one of the young pitchers (i.e. Verlander and/or Zumya)?

If it was my decision, I think I would have to say no. It is probably a good thing this is not even within the realm of possibility.

Inge is worthless in a trade. If you could trade him and a prospect for A-Rod, and the Yanks would pick up some of A-Rod's salary, then of course you make the trade. Obviously you'd have to be careful not to give up too much of your future, but if you're in position to make a World Series run, and especially for a team like the Tigers who are not in that position very often, then you have to make the trade.

Especially considering that A-Rod's history of poor postseason performance is mostly made up and antecdotal. He certainly had a bad ALDS last year, but overall he's actually been very good in the post season.

In 5 career ALDS: .297 avg, .375 obp, .469 slg, in 17 games.

In 3 ALCS: .315 avg., .413 obp, .611 slg in 14 games.

Those ALCS numbers re especially stellar--in fact, they're MVP quality most years.

Edited by MrRain422

Believe me, Randy's gotten booed too. Just every 5 days instead of every day :P . At least he's finally starting to shows some good signs of late.

Yankee fans know how great A-Rod is, and the majority are very astute regarding both their knowledge and history of the game. But you put over 50,000 people in the Stadium EVERY NIGHT OF THE YEAR, and you're going to get fans who boo anything and everything.

Believe me, Randy's gotten booed too. Just every 5 days instead of every day :P . At least he's finally starting to shows some good signs of late.

Yankee fans know how great A-Rod is, and the majority are very astute regarding both their knowledge and history of the game. But you put over 50,000 people in the Stadium EVERY NIGHT OF THE YEAR, and you're going to get fans who boo anything and everything.

I'm a huge BoSox fan so this pains me, but 'ol Slappy (A-rod) is obviously a hugely talented player, my thought is regardless of his numbers in the playoffs, etc, etc the guy has never been part of a championship team. Now, is it because the teams he's played on just haven't been good enough, or is it because as have been reports he's not a good clubhouse kind of guy and tends to be a distraction to his team? I don't know, I'm wondering what the prevailing thought is. I say if the Sox had him in '04 they are a different team and they don't win it all

Inge is worthless in a trade. If you could trade him and a prospect for A-Rod, and the Yanks would pick up some of A-Rod's salary, then of course you make the trade. Obviously you'd have to be careful not to give up too much of your future, but if you're in position to make a World Series run, and especially for a team like the Tigers who are not in that position very often, then you have to make the trade.

Especially considering that A-Rod's history of poor postseason performance is mostly made up and antecdotal. He certainly had a bad ALDS last year, but overall he's actually been very good in the post season.

In 5 career ALDS: .297 avg, .375 obp, .469 slg, in 17 games.

In 3 ALCS: .315 avg., .413 obp, .611 slg in 14 games.

Those ALCS numbers re especially stellar--in fact, they're MVP quality most years.

Here is where stats don't tell the whole story. His numbers in the 04 ALCS don't look too bad. Of course, all the damage he did was in Game 3, when the Yanks won 19-8 and he went 3 for 5, with 5 r, 3 rbi's, 2 doubles, and a homer.

Game 4 1 for 5

Game 5 0 for 4

Game 6 1 for 4

Game 7 0 for 4

That's what Yankee fans remember, not to mention the Angels series. I realize that no one else hit either, but like was already said, he's the $25 million man.