• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aside from Ortiz (who I think shouldn't win because of the DH thing), who is a sure fire MVP? Hafner? DH.

Here's a surprise, especially to me: Justin Morneau. He's having a great under the radar season, and has been the key to the Twins success (along with their pitching).

I don't know about "sure fire MVP", but there are several guys who are having the type of season that would put a player in contention for the MVP most seasons. Among those:

David Ortiz

Travis Hafner

Jim Thome

Vernon Wells

Carl Crawford

Justin Morneau

Grady Sizemore

Jermaine Dye

Miguel Tejada

Francisco Liriano

Johan Santana

A few others too...I'm not saying that they're all in equal contention (obviously Tejada, Morneau, Crawford, etc. aren't going to win it with the seasons that Ortiz, Hafner, etc. are having), but those guys are all having the type of season that will usually get their name thrown into the mix at least (their numbers are at least the bare minimum, if you will, that will get someone considered for the MVP in most seasons), and since they're every day players, they'll usually get the nod over a relief pitcher (although obviously Ortiz and Hafner have a bit of a knock against them being DHs, but their hitting is probably good enough to overcome that).

Edited by MrRain422

Since we are talking about awards, who is the Rookie of the Year? In the AL it's either Papelbon or Liriano, but in the NL it's so much tougher.

I'd say Prince Fielder has a good shot, but it'll probably be a Marlin. Either Dan Uggla or Josh Johnson deserves it.

Since we are talking about awards, who is the Rookie of the Year? In the AL it's either Papelbon or Liriano, but in the NL it's so much tougher.

I'd say Prince Fielder has a good shot, but it'll probably be a Marlin. Either Dan Uggla or Josh Johnson deserves it.

Uggla has really slagged off the last month+. I'd say he's a very long shot. For the NL, I'd go with Zimmerman (Nats) or even Hermida (Marlins) as strong contenders.

In the AL, I'd imagine Liriano (as a dominant starter) gets a much stronger look than Papelbon (as a dominant closer).

Most of the time, most valuable. Of course, if this were true, no Yankee or Red Sox player would even be considered.

The MVP award goes to the player who was the most valuable to their team/organization, not the best player in the Divisions. Generally, team success is factored in as a guideline to the player's contributions. This may be why the MVP often goes to players on teams with success. Because a team is successful doesn't negate the impact an individual player has in dramatically enhancing the team, hence the MVP votes.

It's really amazing how many awesome rookie pitchers there are in the AL this year:

Francisco Liriano

Jonathan Papelbon (or was he up in the bigs for too long last year to be eligible for ROY?)

Justin Verlander

Jered Weaver

What a group, eh? I think that Liriano gets it right now, but if Weaver continues to roll as he has, a good argument will exist for him as well.

I don't know that there's really a formal definition for MVP, and consequently there's a huge argument ever year about whether one guy who is more important to his team deserves it more to another guy who had a better year. Personally I'd rather see it go to the best player, since a great player will be valuable to any team. There's always people arguing that such-and-such shouldn't get the award because his team needs him less, but I have always viewed that as sort of being a penalty for playing on a good team.

Usually the winner will come from a good team, but not always -- A-Rod won an MVP for a last place team when he was in Texas, for example.

Edited by MrRain422
Uggla has really slagged off the last month+. I'd say he's a very long shot. For the NL, I'd go with Zimmerman (Nats) or even Hermida (Marlins) as strong contenders.

In the AL, I'd imagine Liriano (as a dominant starter) gets a much stronger look than Papelbon (as a dominant closer).

Hermida was the odds on favorite before the season began, but he's been hurt, so his power numbers aren't there. I wouldn't give it to him, although I will say he's basically the next Brian Giles, and will be a force in the Marlins' lineup for the next decade.

Uggla has been slumping, and he's still slugging over .500. I think he's got the whole feel good story going for him. Plus, he's been the best 2nd baseman in the league this year, wheras Zimmerman isn't a top 10 third baseman.

Zimmerman has absolutely killed the Marlins this year. That much I know.

Nobody seems to talk much about him, but Josh Johnson is really having a great season, and he should be the front runner. He's on pace for a 13-8 record, 131 Strikeouts, and a 2.5 era, with a 1.2 whip. That's pretty damn good.

I can go on and on about the various Marlins rookies, but I know nobody wants that. I'll just say Scott Olsen should get some votes as well.

Maybe I'm the only one, but I really liked Harold Reynolds on Baseball Tonight. Sad day. I don't know if I can handle more Orel.

Orel, IMO, does an excellent job during games. Very apt comments, doesn't talk too much, and great insight into the mechanics of pitching.

Apparently Harold Reynolds is a bit over the top with his prostelytizing.

Are you referring to him proselytizing last night with Kruk? Word on the street is he was canned for repeated sexual harassment in Bristol. These are unsubstantiated rumors, of course.

Orel, IMO, does an excellent job during games. Very apt comments, doesn't talk too much, and great insight into the mechanics of pitching.

His voice drives me crazy. Him and that other guy that has a weird voice.

Are you referring to him proselytizing last night with Kruk? Word on the street is he was canned for repeated sexual harassment in Bristol. These are unsubstantiated rumors, of course.

No, I didn't see that. We don't have cable. I was just repeating something I had heard on the radio--not that that was the reason he was fired.

Sandy Alomar just threw out a runner. :o