With a heart that beat

When you lived with me

And stopped when you

Left me for life

It is well my child for you never travelled

The long long way begins with schooldays

The little fingers blur under the tears

That fall under the letters

Yup.Enjoying it thus far. But so far no tracks that they played the other night seem to be on there.

e30452fpkji.jpg

Dust of my Dust

And Dust with My Dust

Oh child who died as you entered the world

Dead with my dead

I know one breath

Though you tried so hard

With a heart that beat

When you lived with me

And stopped when you

Left me for life

It is well my child for you never travelled

The long long way begins with schooldays

The little fingers blur under the tears

That fall under the letters

beautiful stuff that is

g98380e607k.jpg

they've been showing this on PBS again :)

yeah, just watched part II last night. just reaffirmed my thought that he's the greatest musician ever. plus hilarious. the beginning scene of II where he's outside the store is pure genius

np:

buckner - impasse

shenandoah1.jpg

sparrows, swarm and sing.O' Shenandoah Mighty Death Will Find Me

4 songs, 79 minutes. very cool record - for fans of god speed, explosions, etc...

Is their music on oink, myspace, etc?

np-

B000005IYU.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Steve Reich/Kronos Quartet/Pat Metheny: Different Trains & Electric Counterpoint

Is their music on oink, myspace, etc?

np-

B000005IYU.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Steve Reich/Kronos Quartet/Pat Metheny: Different Trains & Electric Counterpoint

Ro - do you have any Morton Feldman? Reading the New Yorker bio and I had heard of the guy, usually in the same breath as John Cage, but never really head any of his music.

Love him for this quote alone:

'If a man teaches composition at a university, how can he not be a composer? He has worked hard, learned his craft. Ergo, he is a composer. A professional. Like a doctor. But there is that doctor who opens you up, does exactly the right thing, closes you up - and you die. He failed to take the chance that might have saved you. Art is a crucial, dangerous operation we perform on ourselves. Unless we take a chance, we die in art'

Edited by lizish

Yes! I have lots of Morton Feldman. Can upload some for ye if you like. I think I gave Big Perm some a while back. Here is an addendum to that article, where Alex Ross lays out which recordings to look for: http://www.therestisnoise.com/2006/06/digital_morty.html

This is the record to start with -- Rothko Chapel & Why Patterns? :

B000000R2Z.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I have this and the Kronos/Takahashi piano quartet recording on Nonesuch he talks about in that link at home..

A warning, tho -- it's VERY minimal music. As in, early Brian Eno (Discreet Music, Ambient 1/2, etc) looks almost a little punk rock compared to this. I like it v. much but don't be surprised if you find yourself turning it up and wondering when the noise will come in.. :music

Edited by Deaf Ro
i may be i dont know. their site is swarmandsing.com which i believe has clips.

Thanks, and please give a shout whenever you hear new bands like this. I'm trying to put together a concert series here at Lincoln Center (which I hope to have an announcement for in the near future) featuring Explosions/Amiina/Godspeed-type acts paired with more traditional chamber music performers--string quartets, piano trios, etc. The people who have expressed interest so far are a little bit surprising. :cheers

Yes! I have lots of Morton Feldman. Can upload some for ye if you like. I think I gave Big Perm some a while back. Here is an addendum to that article, where Alex Ross lays out which recordings to look for: http://www.therestisnoise.com/2006/06/digital_morty.html

This is the record to start with -- Rothko Chapel & Why Patterns? :

B000000R2Z.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I have this and the Kronos/Takahashi piano quartet recording on Nonesuch he talks about in that link at home..

A warning, tho -- it's VERY minimal music. As in, early Brian Eno (Discreet Music, Ambient 1/2, etc) looks almost a little punk rock compared to this. I like it v. much but don't be surprised if you find yourself turning it up and wondering when the noise will come in.. :music

thanks!!! Upload would be most appreciated.

Noticed that David Grubbs gets mentioned in Ross' Blog. Playing the Bacon game, that means Tweedy is only a couple steps away from Feldman in musical connections.

Edited by lizish
Thanks, and please give a shout whenever you hear new bands like this. I'm trying to put together a concert series here at Lincoln Center (which I hope to have an announcement for in the near future) featuring Explosions/Amiina/Godspeed-type acts paired with more traditional chamber music performers--string quartets, piano trios, etc. The people who have expressed interest so far are a little bit surprising. :cheers

very cool, ro and i most certainly will