Phil Lesh and Friends

For those on this board that are interested in such things:

Phil Lesh and Friends are being supported on their summer tour by Trey Anastasio and Mike Gordon from Phish who are playing with the Benevento/Russo Duo as a fourpiece I'm calling the Ambiguously Trey Duo. Phil appeared not to have brought a proper lead guitarist with him this tour so Trey came on stage to fill in for the close of the first set through to the encore:

Set I:

China Cat -->

Golden Road -->

Jam -->

Bird Song -->

Bartering Lines

All Along the Watchtower*

Set II:

Jam -->

Lady with a Fan* -->

Terrapin* -->

St. Stephen* -->

Eleven* -->

Rosemary* -->

Desire* (not the U2 song) -->

Rosemary* -->

Fire on the Mountain* -->

Know You Rider*

E: Box of Rain

* with Trey on lead guitar

The China Cat --> Golden Road show opener was great and got everyone up and groovin but Set II was really where the goods are at. It took Trey awhile to make the jump in playing style to fit the Dead tunes but once he got locked in (at the end of Terrapin) it was smoking for the rest of the night. It's clear he's been practicing playing some of these songs and I wouldn't be surprised if he sits in with Phil's band often on this tour. It's also clear Phil really likes having him onstage - caught him grinning widely in Trey's direction a couple times.

Don't have much to say about Trey with Mike and the Duo. The original material the foursome has come up with was so-so. The best music they played were some Duo originals. They're definitely an act worth checking out on their own, just drums and keyboards, and apparently they're fans of the Wilco as well.

Here's their cover of Hoodoo Voodoo with Mike Gordon on bass and Scott Metzger on guitar from a year or so ago: Hoodoo Voodoo

who sang? Was Joan with him this go round? Set list looks nice. And I think Trey can nail the Dead stuff thought he did a great job at the Comes A Time show in Berkeley. Thanks for the review.

Joan was definitely there - came out during the opening riff of Golden Road and got everybody jumping. It was also a highlight of the show to see her dancing up on Trey during his solos. I remember seeing her do the same moves on Weir a couple summers ago and Bobby looked really uncomfortable which just made Phil encourage her to do it more often. Trey, on the other hand, seemed to really enjoy it and played particularly well while Joan was sidling up next to him. She also sang lead on Rosemary, Desire and took one of the verses on I Know You Rider as I remember.

Trey has played with Phil quite a bit. The Comes A Time show (no Phil, though) was a blast and Trey sang a few tunes with the masses on stage. He was one of Phil's first "Friends" when the band was formed. Phil's had many configurations for his band as he likes to keep the tunes varied and interpreted differently, and Trey's takes on the material are pretty decent. I'm still surprised Phil & Co. aren't making their usual Denver/Red Rocks stop. There's still room to tack a Red Rocks show or two onto the end of the tour, though....

A good friend of mine went to see both Jersey shows & enjoyed 'em.The 2nd set from 6/30 was nearly 2 hrs. long :stunned

For at least the next month,one of my personal favorite guitarists,and a really nice guy taboot,BARRY SLESS :worship is gonna be working with Phil again.Hope when they hit the Midwest I get a 'Pride of Cucamonga" :pray w/ Barry on the Pedal steel.

Scott

I would like to take this opportunity to point out that several people on this board called Bob Weir a schmuck for doing Jerry tunes at Ratdog shows, but as you can see from the setlist, Phil does the same thing only more so.

Let's give them all a break and let them do what they do, eh?

Hope when they hit the Midwest I get a 'Pride of Cucamonga" :pray w/ Barry on the Pedal steel.

Scott

they played this in HArtford I believe but I hope they play it for you. It is funny to hear trey sing jerry parts cause he doesnt like this. seem slike I would have liked camden more than hartford though

I would like to take this opportunity to point out that several people on this board called Bob Weir a schmuck for doing Jerry tunes at Ratdog shows, but as you can see from the setlist, Phil does the same thing only more so.

Let's give them all a break and let them do what they do, eh?

Correct. It's all Dead tunes, anyway. They all had a hand in it and even if they didn't, they are certainly entitled to interpret any music they please. I'm not real sure Garcia would have chose to have "his" tunes put to bed just because he's no longer around. No one ever bitches about folks playing Chopin tunes or Mozart covers in concert recitals.....

Correct. It's all Dead tunes, anyway. They all had a hand in it and even if they didn't, they are certainly entitled to interpret any music they please.

Exactly.

Now, if Ratdog or Phil and Friends start doing stuff like "Cats Under The Stars" and "Rubin and Cherise," it would be a different story... :lol

Phil appeared not to have brought a proper lead guitarist with him this tour

whoa there, nelly. The guitarist at the start of the tour was John Scofield who is one of the most talented modern jazz guitarists in the business. He has played with Mile Davis, Billy Cobhan, George Duke, Bill Frisell, etc... He also recorded a great album "A Go-Go" with Medeski Martin & Wood as his back up band. He's been signed to top jazz labels Verve & Blue Note The guy is a master.

Barry Sless then took over after the first run of shows. Sless is the guitarist for the David Nelson Band (who was in the New Riders of the Purple Sage with Garcia). He tone is very crisp & he crushes the slide & pedal steel.

final comment, they are calling the new Trey project GRAB (for Gordon, Russo, Anatasio & Benevento). Several of their opening sets are up on bt. etree

whoa there, nelly. The guitarist at the start of the tour was John Scofield who is one of the most talented modern jazz guitarists in the business. He has played with Mile Davis, Billy Cobhan, George Duke, Bill Frisell, etc... He also recorded a great album "A Go-Go" with Medeski Martin & Wood as his back up band. He's been signed to top jazz labels Verve & Blue Note The guy is a master.

Barry Sless then took over after the first run of shows. Sless is the guitarist for the David Nelson Band (who was in the New Riders of the Purple Sage with Garcia). He tone is very crisp & he crushes the slide & pedal steel.

final comment, they are calling the new Trey project GRAB (for Gordon, Russo, Anatasio & Benevento). Several of their opening sets are up on bt. etree

Not to mention Larry Campbell, who has an impressive list of credits as a studio musician, and was Dylan's back-up guitarist for seven years. One of the things that often eludes listeners of Phil's hand-selected artists he tours with, is the fact that he purposely chooses folks, at times, that may not have the best grasp of the tunes being played. This is what I meant earlier on how Phil keeps it fresh. Ryan Adams interpreted tunes like The Wheel and Sugar Magnolia differently (often missing/adding lyrics) and that's the way Phil wanted it. Same with Larry Campbell, I believe. The guy has his own style and brings a new-ness to a lot of the tunes because he may not be 100% comfortable/familiar with the work(s). Certainly it doesn't make him a poor guitarist. He just takes a different approach. I find it refreshing, myself.

I'm familiar with Scofield - I was just remarking that he's not playing with Phil on this Lesh/GRAB/Duo tour.