7/8/06 -- London, Ontario

Seemed like there was much better energy tonight than last, owing mostly to the GA standing crowd and, to a lesser extent, more than a few American ringers in the crowd, especially up front. As the band was leaving the stage after the main set, someone threw at them a Canadian flag on which was written "Wilco is cock." I personally wish that old, old joke would be put to rest, but the guys had some fun with the flag during the encores, at one point draping it over Jeff like a cape. Haha. :)

Setlist as follows:

new song-What Light

The Late Greats

Misunderstood

Far, Far Away

Company In My Back

IATTBYH

Handshake Drugs

new song-Impossible Germany

War on War

At Least That's What You Said

Jesus, etc.

Walken (Talking To Myself About You)

Theologians

I'm The Man Who Loves You

Hummingbird

---------------------------------

Airline to Heaven

Forget the Flowers

She's a Jar

Kingpin

I'm A Wheel

---------------------------------

A Shot in the Arm>

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

Not to respond to my own post, but I wanted to correct one of my posts from the Toronto show. Regarding the new song, which I'm calling There's a Light, a more accurate set of lyrics for the first couple of verses are:

You feel like singing a song

You want other people to sing along

Just sing what you feel

Don't let anyone say it's wrong

You try to paint a picture

Not sure which colors belong

Just paint what you see

Don't let anyone say it's wrong

And then part of the chorus definitely goes:

There's a light, what light

There's a light, what light

Inside of you

After getting a second listen to it tonight, I'd say it's probably the most straightforward pop song of the newer songs we've heard thus far. The arrangement is pretty simple and it has a neat little melody.

It was a pretty great show. We showed up to pick up our tickets at about 2 pm, right as the band was sound-checking, with the doors open so we could see them. We watched them play 'Walken', the new song, about four times in a row, changing things up a bit each time. Very cool.

And the setlist was awesome too: Far, Far, Away, She's A Jar (!), Airline to Heaven, Misunderstood, War on War... lots of great stuff. Finishing with Spiders was a dissapointment for me, but Shot in the Arm right before that was awesome, with Jeff letting the croud sing along.

Jeff was wearing a walking cast, too, he must have broken his right foot or something.

Nate

they seem to like ending with A Shot In The Arm >>>> Spiders (Kidsmoke) now. hmmmmmm...

or at least something >>>>> Spiders

Great show.. was standing right by Nels and he was on fire.. too bad the sound was a bit off for the M's but whatever. after the show went around back and met Jeff and company, that was unreal.

[quote name='london' date='Jul 9 2006, 10:06 AM' post

My second show, my son's first, actually his first concert in general as he is 9 years old. I showed him the buses pre-show and Nels came out of one of them and we shouted him over. Very pleasant guy and same age as me (51). My son was tired by the end of first encore so we went back outside and hung by the buses. A crowd of about 30 eventually gathered and some woman in a SUV who dropped off a pizza to the bus told us to wait as the band would come out soon. More security gathered then one guy pointed at my son stating "Little guy first". A line formed behind us then Glen, John, Mikael, each came out and shook our hands. Jeff appeared, signed my copy of his book of poems and talked to my son about his own kids. Just a great night, and hats off to the sound guys who did a great job for a band who deserved better than Centennial Hall as a venue.

My first Wilco show and I enjoyed it thoroughly. Reading the reviews of the Toronto show it seemed like this show was much better than the night before. Jeff finally addressed the crowd about halfway thru the show to great response. He also made some mention of the London crowd needing no encouragement to have a good time.

Highlights for me were 'jesus, etc.', 'Late Greats', and 'airline to heaven' I reaaly enjoyed the first song played, the new one.

I'm not sure what Wilco Etc.'s comment about the choice of venue meant. Do you mean the venue was generally bad, or that a band of Wilco's talent should be played venues significantly larger. Either way I actually really like the venue. I've lived in London for about a year and this is the first show I've seen at the Centennial. The first thing i remarked was that it looks like what my high scholl gymnasium should have looked like. Its old but beautiful. I can imagine that these are the kinds of places my Dad caught The Band, Dylan and Neil Young in. There's a sense of history implied in it still standing. I like it better than many of the comparable venues in Toronto

The place was maybe 2/3's capacity but given that it was up against both Sunfest and the Six Shooter Records showcase it might be understandable. They may have deserved a better turnout but the one's who did turn out did so with great spirits.

What a blast

My first Wilco show and I enjoyed it thoroughly. Reading the reviews of the Toronto show it seemed like this show was much better than the night before. Jeff finally addressed the crowd about halfway thru the show to great response. He also made some mention of the London crowd needing no encouragement to have a good time.

Highlights for me were 'jesus, etc.', 'Late Greats', and 'airline to heaven' I reaaly enjoyed the first song played, the new one.

I'm not sure what Wilco Etc.'s comment about the choice of venue meant. Do you mean the venue was generally bad, or that a band of Wilco's talent should be played venues significantly larger. Either way I actually really like the venue. I've lived in London for about a year and this is the first show I've seen at the Centennial. The first thing i remarked was that it looks like what my high scholl gymnasium should have looked like. Its old but beautiful. I can imagine that these are the kinds of places my Dad caught The Band, Dylan and Neil Young in. There's a sense of history implied in it still standing. I like it better than many of the comparable venues in Toronto

The place was maybe 2/3's capacity but given that it was up against both Sunfest and the Six Shooter Records showcase it might be understandable. They may have deserved a better turnout but the one's who did turn out did so with great spirits.

What a blast

What a blast

What a blast

Hi country pinball, I just meant that I have never been a great fan of Centennial Hall. It was built in 1967 as a local centennial project. Sort of an all purpose venue for anything. Over the years attempts were made to improve the acoustics. I really think that none of them worked. I have seen the likes of those bands you mentioned, and always prefered Alumuni Hall at Western. When I heard Wilco were coming to London, I assumed they would play the RBC theatre part of the John Labatt Center. Hey, I was very happy with the show. and I am glad you were.

I'm not a big fan of the JLC. The atmosphere kinda stinks. Never been to alumni hall though. I hope my curiosity about your venue comments didn't come off as snarky questioning. That was not my intent or tone. I'll have to be honest. When people talk about acoustics I rarely know what they are talking about. I can tell the difference between great when compared to terrible. Anything in between these extreme's escapes me. I'll take your word for it. The show did sound a bit off for the first song, but I'm not sure it that was the mix and it was adjusted or simply that my ears adjusted.

Its cool that your son got to meet Tweedy and co. I remember how special that was when I was younger and an artist took the time and effort.

Cheers

My wife and I drove up from Detroit for the show, our first. I'm the fan and she's game for any live music. We picked up our tickets and watched the band sound check as well. The sound check was great, but I was a bit worried after seeing the M's. Wilco's sound was much better especially on the vocal end. The setlist was straight forward. I was hoping for Hell is Chrome (maybe E. Lansing). I was caught off guard by a new song first song out. A pretty ballad which someone aptly compared to Muzzle of Bees. The other new song Impossible Germany was ok, but I hope it's not the best song on the new album. Lots of little highlights for me; mostly just seeing the guys rock out. My wife and I were laughing our asses off over Jeff's deadpan, "Thanks for the flag" as he left the stage. What's the Wilco is Cock joke?

What's the Wilco is Cock joke?

well, on the IATTBYH documentary, there is live footage of a Tweedy acoustic tour. At one show he did this really funny bit about how in his younger years he and his friends used 'cock' as a positive adjective, like:"Your bike is cock". This was hilarious, but as the Chapelle show has taught us, if you document someone creating a hilarious catch phrase the people of America will drive it into the ground until the very sound of it makes you angry. For example: Get 'er done. yuck!

well, on the IATTBYH documentary, there is live footage of a Tweedy acoustic tour. At one show he did this really funny bit about how in his younger years he and his friends used 'cock' as a positive adjective, like:"Your bike is cock". This was hilarious, but as the Chapelle show has taught us, if you document someone creating a hilarious catch phrase the people of America will drive it into the ground until the very sound of it makes you angry. For example: Get 'er done. yuck!

We thought it was some Canadian slang!!! :D

I'm not a big fan of the JLC. The atmosphere kinda stinks. Never been to alumni hall though. I hope my curiosity about your venue comments didn't come off as snarky questioning. That was not my intent or tone. I'll have to be honest. When people talk about acoustics I rarely know what they are talking about. I can tell the difference between great when compared to terrible. Anything in between these extreme's escapes me. I'll take your word for it. The show did sound a bit off for the first song, but I'm not sure it that was the mix and it was adjusted or simply that my ears adjusted.

Its cool that your son got to meet Tweedy and co. I remember how special that was when I was younger and an artist took the time and effort.

Cheers

Hey, no offence taken. Uh, sorry for the multiple quote posts. Rather new at this. Anyone take any photos to post??

Loved that - It was my first time seeing Neu-Wilco.

I'm with the poster who decries Centennial Hall. It is an acoustic hell hole. For instance, on the balcony, you could sorta tell that the Ms had good songs but you couldn't make out any lyrics.

Loved the version of Handshake Drugs. That bassline is just soo fantastic and seeing Nels Cline freak out was really great.

I brought a number of other people with me and and they were all suitably impressed. Only one MA song in the setlist and I pimped the 2 Guthrie CDs and YHF to get them interested in the band. I'd been telling these people why I didn't much care for AGIB and not only is the setlist primarily all AGIB, but the songs are certainly a lot better live. When Airline to Heaven started up, like an idiot, I shouted 'It's one of the Mermaid Avenue songs, It's one of the Mermaid Avenue songs' and they looked at me kinda funny.

(PS - Played where's Pauldo with the Cell phone. Got a couple shots of our favourite 'Outta Head' bopping back and forth at the front of the crowd. Went down to introduce myself after the show and sadly, like a fabled shadow, he was gone)

Edited by lizish
(PS - Played where's Pauldo with the Cell phone. Got a couple shots of our favourite 'Outta Head' bopping back and forth at the front of the crowd. Went down to introduce myself after the show and sadly, like a fabled shadow, he was gone)

Awww, I would have loved to say hello.:( Someday...

I was down there for a little bit -- at least long enough to say hi to Wendy, who was also coming down from the balcony -- but I did book out of there shortly thereafter to go over to that Six Shooter showcase that someone else mentioned. I had told the Elliott Brood guys that I would try to make it over there to see them. Turns out I should have hung out at Centennial a little longer 'cause EB didn't go on until like 12:30 a.m. and didn't finish until about 2. I reiterate my hearty recommendation that people should check them out if they ever get a chance.:thumbup

shit - I drove by Aeolian Hall just to see if stuff was still going on at about midnight. I looked deserted, but there were plenty of hookers on the stroll and crack deals going down - so the husband and I called it a night. Damn , Damn, Damn - both about EB and missing you.

I'll try to figure out how to get the Pics off the cell phone and post them up.

- T (aka the BROOD pimper)

I was at the show Saturday. Drove up from Detroit with some friends. I didn't mind Centennial Hall...I thought it sounded good. Although I was up against the stage right in the center. LOL!!! I do agree though...it reminded me of a high school gym. The girl that went up on stage was standing right in front of me, I think her name was Mary. I was chatting with her for a while before the show. Some really cool people that are into this band. I really wanted to stick around and try to meet the band afterwards but it was 11pm and we had a 2 hour ride home to Michigan. I'll try in East Lansing but I'm guessing that show is going to be sold out (being a college town) and there will be gobs of people waiting around afterward.

I'd also like to give a "shout out" to London...I'd never been there before. A really nice town with a lot of very good looking women in it. Damn....the talent was out in full force for that Sunfest. My buddies and I were swivel-neckin' it all the way back to the car. LOL!!!!!

Anyone take any photos to post??

Comin' up!

But first, WOW was the London show ever good! Best of my 3 Wilco shows yet. Everything from the choice of tunes, the skillful performance of the band, and of course the energy of the crowd just made for a prefect night!

We spent pretty much the entire show over to the left side of the floor slightly closer than halfway and hopped up on to the wooden rail. The view (and sound - eventually) was very good (sitting on the rail boosted us up a couple inches as we're short people) and it provided easy access to both the bar and bathrooms - both of which never got too busy, which I was thankful for!

The M's were OK, but as everyone else noted their sound was garbage. Vocals were muddy and drowned by the music. But by the time they got through the C.H. was nice and busy. Looked like a 3/4 full house to me at that point.

Wilco of course, were smokin' hot! Totally brought out everything you could want in a performance - fun, energetic, and wild! Jeff was quiet for the first half, but opened up later on. New song right off the bat. Then what I remember thinking was a short set before the first encore. Then a 5 (!) encore! Woo hoo! That was neat. They brought some chick up on stage to help get the crowd screaming for Kingpin - "It's good for your soul" she said. And she's right! Another 2 to finish it off. And I got to say, at about 2 hours or so, I wanted more! It's not that I was disappointed, mind you. Based on that show, I'll be going to see every Wilco concert I can possibly go see.

Anyhoo, here's some London pics. Sorry they aren't better. It's a cheap cam and blows for dark pics. Click for biggie:

1152542079fe3a29.gif 11525420796924f6.gif 11525420800a1292.gif 115254208170f40d.gif 1152542081f70cae.gif

And five more:

1152542259b3ddc1.gif 115254226070cbd1.gif 1152542260f9bef8.gif 1152542261ffe298.gif 1152542262fb2afd.gif