If You Could Put An Album (or two, or a dozen) in front of your peers...

Could those of you posting only album covers also post the artist and album name? That would be helpful to the unhip of us.

:blush I sometimes make the same plea in the NP thread ... sorry. Mine shouldn't be hard to figure out except for maybe one, but just in case:

1. Ted Leo/Pharmacists - The Tyranny of Distance

2. Chappaquiddick Skyline - s/t (Joe Pernice side project that helped get me into his stuff)

3. Spirit - Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus

4. John Cunningham - Homeless House

5. Fred Neil - s/t

I second the YHF choice for sure - completely changed my outlook on music and opened me to so many different things.

I'm also going to recommend:

Bob Dylan - Blood On The Tracks

B00000253N.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V65010698_.jpg

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of The Moon

B000E6G6KI.01._AA192_SCLZZZZZZZ_V58333577_.jpg

The Blue Nile - Hats

B00000I3JO.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker

B00004XSKU.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

U2 - Achtung Baby (the best modern rock record?)

B000001DTM.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Apart from Ryan Adams, these were all albums my Dad lent me to listen to as I was growing up... even the Floyd took a while to grow on me, and Dylan took ages, just couldn't get around the music being played...

As for the U2 album, I was initially scpetical of the whole band and back catalogue, but that album completely worked it's way into my head over time and now it goes down as one of my top 10 albums of all time, a contrast to what I normally listen to.

With Adams, I bought it after reading a review of Gold in Uncut, and although I enjoyed it initially, it took a lot of listening before I was completely bowled over by him, his lyrics and music. Genius!

Is this album still in print???

Yeah it's on remastered cd.

If I stick to the original question which is - to put an album that I initially didn't like, but now do, in front of my peers; then I'll go for Swordfishtrombone. I didn't like it at first, but now do, and think others should like it too. If it's just albums that everyone should have heard then I'll go for The Band.

That was mostly a tongue in cheek comment. I know just about everything is back in print.

LouieB

Very true. It should be in print too though, just as much as any other old album. I like the idea that they've come up with now of making rare cd's on demand, so that they only make them when you make the order, almost like cdr's, but better quality. This should mean that even the rarest stuff is accessible to people in the future, just as it should be, rather than simply amongst a few collectors. Peer to peer kind of broke down that barrier a bit, but seeing as how the music industry wants all the money they can get, but don't want to spend money taking chances on producing a large amount of a rare title, this is a good solution. Nothing to do with Spirit, I know, but your comment made me think of this.

Very true. It should be in print too though, just as much as any other old album.
There are still some vinyl copies floating around out there, in fact I got one in the last year. We used to listen to these albums when I was in college and I never bothered to buy them.

LouieB

U2 - Achtung Baby (the best modern rock record?)

B000001DTM.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Just listened to this yesterday for the first time in years. I always thought my favorite U2 album was The Unforgettable Fire, but I've changed my mind since yesterday. A great album!

Just listened to this yesterday for the first time in years. I always thought my favorite U2 album was The Unforgettable Fire, but I've changed my mind since yesterday. A great album!

IMO it's got everything a great rock record should have; great production, quality riffs and memorable lyrics... I just don't know why it took me so long to get into it!

a lot of my friends don't get them ...

B000001I0G.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I was listening last night to two R.E.M. concerts I recently got through torrents--one from '84 and the other from '86. The whole lineup of that album is represented, and done so well. What an original band they were then...