If You Could Put An Album (or two, or a dozen) in front of your peers...

This thread was spawned off the thread about trying out the grateful dead's music.

I'm referring to those bands or albums that might have taken you awhile to sit with and come around to, but now you wouldn't want to live without. So if you could short-cut that "easing into" process (and most likely you really can't), what album or albums would you want to expose people to, with the caveat of: Just keep listening, you'll come around... ?

Frank Zappa (Joe's Garage) and Tom Waits (Heart Attack and Vine)

And as so eloquently stated prior, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

I've been wanting to jump into Waits' catalogue for awhile, having heard greatness from him here and there over the years. Is Heart Attack and Vine a good starter, or should I try something else first?

I've been wanting to jump into Waits' catalogue for awhile, having heard greatness from him here and there over the years. Is Heart Attack and Vine a good starter, or should I try something else first?

Yeah that's a pretty good choice. I also like Bone Machine, but HAV is a very good starting point

Frank Zappa (Joe's Garage) and Tom Waits (Heart Attack and Vine)

And as so eloquently stated prior, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

:cheers Well FZ is partially responsible for being a major catalyst in my warped life.When Michelle & I first got together,I had her listen to Joe's & read the libretto...and SHE'S STILL HERE :stunned

YHF,of course! Easily my fave record of this millenium. :worship

As far as the term 'alt-country' goes,one of the true pioneers of the genre imo is NRPS with their 1st LP :music

Scott

Bone Machine is my favorite as welll, never really got into Heart Attack...I'd say Nighthawks at the Diner is a good starting point for his earlier stuff (I also love Small Change) - for the later stuff, probably Mule Variations or Raindogs. Bone Machine was my introduction to Tom Waits (I had a coworker that played it constantly) and I HATED it. It eventually grew on me, and is on my top 10 of all time list now, but not a good place to start.