Chili Pepper blasts 'sell-outs' U2 and Black Eyed Peas

Just saw this and thought it was funny...

July 08, 2006

Chili Pepper blasts 'sell-outs' U2 and Black Eyed Peas

Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith has slammed U2 and The Black Eyed Peas for allowing their music to be used on television advertisements.

The Dani California star finds it difficult to understand how bands can sacrifice their integrity by selling their songs to corporations.

And Smith brands U2 and The Black Eyed Peas "idiots" for letting their respective tracks Vertigo and Hey Mama be used to promote the sale of iPods.

Smith, 44, says, "I'm fine with getting our music out to people but I don't want to be on a TV commercial with some guy bowling and then music comes out of his phone. There's no artistic credibility. I'd feel like a jerk if we did that.

"I think Black Eyed Peas look like a bunch of idiots. It's dangerous.

"The U2 song on the iPod when it came out was weird and it was longer and it had more parts.

"It's dangerous to tie yourself in with a product and also the visuals that go along with it.

"I think young people, not old guys like myself, think it's normal now to have Led Zeppelin on jeans commercials. Oh no! That's not normal to me."

...must have forgot about that stupid Nike commercial they did w/ Agassi around 'Mother's Milk'.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fwiw, their Nike commercial was just a jam if i recall, and not an actual song of theirs, which is what he was getting at moreso than actually appearing in the commercial.

but you're right, pretty funny/rather hypocritical statement

fwiw, their Nike commercial was just a jam if i recall, and not an actual song of theirs, which is what he was getting at moreso than actually appearing in the commercial.

but you're right, pretty funny/rather hypocritical statement

yeah, you're right...youtube has it, but it's down right now. regardless, like you said, it's still pretty hypocritical.

I still listen to RHCP. Their new album is fan-fucking-tastic.

That being said, I wonder if Chad Smith is aware that there are like 4 songs from that new album being used in commercials on ESPN right now.

I'll admit that I still have not bought and or/really listened to their new one...I listened to the stream of it before it came out and, while it wasn't bad, it didn't hook me.

That ESPN thing is pretty funny...and, yes, Smith really is a total doofus.

Oy. Extend your pinky finger and loosen up the powdered wig, Amadeus.

Buddy: I listened to more new music in the last 24 hours than you have in the last six months. :cheers

And even if I hadn't, it doesn't change the fact that the RHCP are washed up and mediocre radio garbage.

Excuse me but what are the Black Eyed Peas really sacrificing. Their striking while the iron is slowly cooling. U2 is most likely giving the $$$ to charity but that's in essence Apple's money not theirs. So anyone who's going to use that as a defence is off the mark and I don't buy it. U2's music has been compromised. Sellouts. B)

Dunno if it means anything you your folks, but it means something to this arguement. I'm not sure if RHCP gets $$ for it, but NASCAR has been using that piece of sh*t song "Dani California" for weeks in its Nextel Cup broadcasts...

not too surprising:

http://www.billboardbulletin.com/bb/biz/ar...02/7002/7005/-1

and Flea & Chad also worked the pit crew for some racing team recently i believe

Excuse me but what are the Black Eyed Peas really sacrificing. Their striking while the iron is slowly cooling. U2 is most likely giving the $$$ to charity but that's in essence Apple's money not theirs. So anyone who's going to use that as a defence is off the mark and I don't buy it. U2's music has been compromised. Sellouts. B)

thing is, BEP used to be a pretty decent hip hop group before Fergie joned

This is as good a place as any for me to say I've been wondering if RHCP were ever really any good, or was I just really young. I hear their new stuff and it doesn't sound all that different from (neither better nor worse than), say, "Suck My Kiss" or "Funky Crime". And I used to love those songs.

If it were not for their early 90s output (which even then I found to be occasionally fun, but never mindblowing), their music of the last 5-7 years has been completely average, uninteresting, and undistinguishable from all the other crap on the radio. In a word: RHCP is easy, comfortable, inoffensive music for people with neither the means nor the inclination to find music that isn't forcefed to them by the majors and the radio stations in their pay.

JF may be the finest axeman around right now. Even those who don't like RHCP should be able to acknowledge that.

And I think a lot of people who are hating on the new album have some pre-conceived notions about them. Not liking them is one thing, but the hatred that some people have towards them seems pretty undeserved, IMO. And I really don't think any of it sounds like anything else on the radio right now, although I do acknowledge that most of it is pretty easy to swallow.

By the Way was sort of hit or miss, but there's not a bad track on the new one. In my opinion at least.

Edited by MrRain422

the new album is pretty mediocre, i must admit, especially to myself a fan since Mother's Milk came out.

it's better than By The Way though, but ot say there's not a bad track out of what, 26 or whatever???? come on... that would inherently make it the best double album of all time if that was the case. imo it would have been a really solid 16 song record.

since we are on the subject of selling out ... I dont know how many people actually DO like coldplay out there. But I have been a fan of there music for a while, and I really dont know what to say about the fact that the only thing I can associate that World Trade Center movie to is Coldplays 'Fix you'... ugh