Chili Pepper blasts 'sell-outs' U2 and Black Eyed Peas

It's funny to call the Black Eyed Peas sell-outs because that would indicate at some point they were artistically and musically legit. Many may disagree with me, but I have always found them to be an industry product in the same vein as the Backstreet Boys and In-Sync, though not to their extremes.

Did they ever have credibility in the community of musicians? I don't know.

Maybe I'm way off.

yep, they did...

i saw them on the Warped Tour in 2000 and they were absolutely fantastic. up there with the talent of the Roots as far as live hip hop goes.

like i said, their transformation into a mainstream product happened when Fergie joined the band a few years ago. i'm starting to realize some people didn't even know she wasn't always in the band sadly.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely. The earlier part of their career, they were of the sort of conscious hip hop/native tongue vein that groups like Tribe Called Quest and De La were a part of. Funny thing, Will I Am is shit hot right now production-wise w/ a lot of hip-hop artists w/ more 'street-cred' like Nas and a few others.

Fergie's solo joint, 'London Bridge', while a total Gwen Stefani's 'Hollaback Girl'-lite gets stuck in my head all day long if I catch it while flipping past MTV. Annoying and sophmoric, but catchy...much like the Peas past two albums.

El F, if I sent you a few discs of Bach/Mozart/Haydn/Schubert/Beethoven solo piano music, would you play it for them? No need to water it down with that Baby Einstein stuff. Their brains hear it a lot better than ours, anyway. :cheers

So, just to set the scene, let me make sure I have this right: you're telling El Famous how to raise his kids?

I thought U2 didn't recieve any money for their iPod commercial? Maybe I read wrong.

correct, they didn't

NEW YORK - Rock band U2 has cut a deal with Apple Computer to sell custom iPods promoting the band's forthcoming album.

Sources close to the group say the U2 edition of the popular digital music player will come preloaded with the band's new album, How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, along with portions of the Irish supergroup's 25-year catalogue. The iPods will be black and will be made available the same week as the band's 11th studio album, which is slated to be released in the U.S. by Universal Music Group's Interscope Records on November 23.

The deal is expected to be announced officially next week in San Jose, Calif. at a conference held by singer Bono, guitarist The Edge and Apple (nasdaq: AAPL - news - people ) founder Steve Jobs. Both Apple and Interscope representatives declined to comment.

The custom iPods are part of a larger agreement between the band and Apple. The company will have exclusive rights to sell all the songs from the new album online through its iTunes Music Store for at least the first few weeks following the release. U2 and Interscope will split a standard royalty for each song downloaded (about $0.60 per download), plus an upfront licensing fee. In return, the band shot a 30-second commercial pushing its latest single, Vertigo, on iTunes. The spot, a cross between a music video and Apple's catchy silhouette ad campaign, is now in heavy rotation on prime-time TV. Vertigo has topped the iTunes download charts since its debut three weeks ago.

B)

So, just to set the scene, let me make sure I have this right: you're telling El Famous how to raise his kids?

Actually, I was offering to send him some CDs. You're the one being an asshole. Get a life. "Just to set the scene."

Edited by Deaf Ro
NEW YORK - Rock band U2 has cut a deal with Apple Computer to sell custom iPods promoting the band's forthcoming album.

Sources close to the group say the U2 edition of the popular digital music player will come preloaded with the band's new album, How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, along with portions of the Irish supergroup's 25-year catalogue. The iPods will be black and will be made available the same week as the band's 11th studio album, which is slated to be released in the U.S. by Universal Music Group's Interscope Records on November 23.

The deal is expected to be announced officially next week in San Jose, Calif. at a conference held by singer Bono, guitarist The Edge and Apple (nasdaq: AAPL - news - people ) founder Steve Jobs. Both Apple and Interscope representatives declined to comment.

The custom iPods are part of a larger agreement between the band and Apple. The company will have exclusive rights to sell all the songs from the new album online through its iTunes Music Store for at least the first few weeks following the release. U2 and Interscope will split a standard royalty for each song downloaded (about $0.60 per download), plus an upfront licensing fee. In return, the band shot a 30-second commercial pushing its latest single, Vertigo, on iTunes. The spot, a cross between a music video and Apple's catchy silhouette ad campaign, is now in heavy rotation on prime-time TV. Vertigo has topped the iTunes download charts since its debut three weeks ago.

B)

i realize that, but they didn't recieve any money for the ad itself, which was my point:

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/gear...8-u2-ipod_x.htm

Uno, dos, tres, CATORCE! The TV quakes as a euphoric punk holler, stabbing guitar and muscle-bound rhythms roar over convulsive images of rock stars in silhouette.

Music to his ears: Bono shows up U2's signature iPod.

By Paul Sakuma, AP

The iPod ad touting U2's Vertigo isn't your father's Oldsmobile commercial, but it is a commercial, and that's stirring debate among rock 'n' roll old-schoolers and within the band's vigilant following.

The band's partnership with Apple, which also yielded a signature iPod model and a digital box set of 400-plus tracks available only at iTunes, has many saluting U2 for co-opting a shifting marketplace and others crying cop-out.

The cross-branding "came out of an idea Bono had of selling iPods with the U2 catalog on them," bassist Adam Clayton says. "That was a progressive, savvy idea. Endorsing the download culture seemed to be a no-brainer. If Apple had asked us to endorse it in a different way, that might have felt like a compromise, but the synergy was so obvious."

Drummer Larry Mullen Jr. nixes most requests to license songs for films or videogames.

"I'm careful about where the music goes," he says. "It's about integrity, so I'm quite protective. And I'm very sensitive to the idea of standing beside a product."

The Apple deal is more about revolution than commerce, he says, declaring that the digital era and iTunes in particular are "good for everyone. They figured a way where everybody gets paid, and bands survive. They are going to save our asses and your music. The record business failed to find a way to have music downloaded legitimately. Apple succeeded."

In U2 online forums, opinions heavily favor the ad.

One fan posts, "As long as it spreads awareness, gets that killer riff out there to the mass public and isn't pushing a pickup, I'm happy."

A detractor complains, "I'm not thrilled about the idea of U2 making ads for iPods or any other company. I like to keep U2 under Larry's description of 'the biggest cult band in the world.' "

Bono emphatically states, "No money changed hands. There were about three people in the universe who shouted sellout. Selling out is when you do something you don't want to for cash. We really wanted to do this. What could be cooler than having our own iPod and exploring new digital formats?"

The pact had practical benefits. Pop radio isn't quick to embrace noisy rock tunes, and declining sales led to belt-tightening that precludes labels from bankrolling expensive album launches. The iPod TV spots provided invaluable exposure. "Apple seemed like the most natural collaboration and something our fans would not be embarrassed about," Edge says. "Nobody wants to see their favorite band attached to something uncool. This is about looking into the future. It's a stepping stone to where the business is heading."

Edge's cyber zeal may appear unseemly considering U2's new album leaked online nearly two weeks ago. As for the early disc stolen last summer, "that never went anywhere and probably became a souvenir. Either that, or there are warehouses full of copies in Eastern Europe and Russia waiting for the release date."

Don't be surprised if U2 pops up in another TV ad. "Car companies have offered us fortunes," Bono says. "We turned them down, not because it's against our religion. We weren't being self-righteous or high-minded. If there were a cool commercial that didn't ruin our song and make you wince, maybe we'd consider it."

He cites Elvis Presley's A Little Less Conversation in Nike's World Cup campaign as a brilliant pairing of music and merchandise.

"I have no problem with that," Bono says. "People say, 'But work for a corporation?' What's Universal (U2's label) or MTV? U2 is a gang of four but also a corporation. When we started out, taking care of business was seen as not very cool, but we thought of it as the height of uncool not to. With the gift comes the desire to bodyguard it."

I still like "Under The Bridge."

I know you just said something about RHCP, but I'm too distracted by the fact that the rest of the AL East no longer warrants inclusion in your sig. :ohwell

Edited by redshift
It don't feel right.

Great song!

Ro, I sincerely appreciate the offer, but we do have several CD's of actual classical music (don't ask me which ones exactly) my wife plays during play-time. The Baby Einstein DVD is what we watch with them when we're doing in post-play/pre-nap mode or when we need a few minutes to occupy them while we get something done.

Unless you have a DVD of Beethoven and Mozart doing puppetry, etc...then by all means, send it...not for them, but i'd like to watch that. :lol

On the subject, I have noticed that a lot of the 'musical' toys we have for them all play (mostly) classical music...one is this badass cube thing that plays seperate instruments or all of them together in unison depending on which side you push. That said, so far, their favorite song is the 'A-B-C' song (traditional, not Jackson 5 version).

A sellout by any other name is still a sellout. B)

How is that selling out?

EDIT: Actually, never mind...the whole 'sell-out' discussion is so played out and I really don't care anymore. Music is a business...I can probably cite a slew of 'indie' bands folks here wouldn't consider sell-outs that I hear at the mall in stores like the Gap or H&M every time I go in there. Then, killer bands like Spoon being used for car commercials. That's good marketing and godd business.

Then, killer bands like Spoon being used for car commercials. That's good marketing and godd business.

:yes My desire to buy a Jaguar rose a notch or two when I saw that commercial.

I'm still nowhere near actually wanting to buy a Jaguar, but still.

I remember feeling embarassed for RHCP when they performed "Under The Bridge" on Saturday Night Live. I liked the song, but thought "Aww, they actually think this could be a hit?"

That was a profoundly horrible performance. That was at the peak of Frusciante hating being in the band, and it really came out on that SNL appearance. He was really stoned, and seemingly playing a completely different song than the rest of the band.

On the subject, I have noticed that a lot of the 'musical' toys we have for them all play (mostly) classical music...one is this badass cube thing that plays seperate instruments or all of them together in unison depending on which side you push. That said, so far, their favorite song is the 'A-B-C' song (traditional, not Jackson 5 version).

We have that cube too. The kids (7 and 2) both love it. And it's tough as nails.

i'll dig through our old stuff and see if we have any of the extra cartridges still. PM if we do