So for all of my life I've been a CD/Computer type guy when it comes to getting my music but I have been interested in getting a record player recently and was wondering what do I need to get a decent system. I have speakers and I guess all I need is record player. I am pretty low on cash so the cheaper the better any suggestions would be appreciated.

A couple years ago I got a low end Stanton DJ turntable (I think it's called Straight 30, or something). It's light years better than the Akai turntable I got as a kid in the '80s, and is perfectly suitable for listening to albums at home. The only problem is the needle does not automatically return at the end of each album side. Not a problem for me, but worth considering. I think it cost $150 new. They don't make that model anymore, but I'm sure they have a comparable turntable in their current line.

A lot of people are going to tell you to get $400+ turntables. Forget that. $150 will get you a good setup.

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions. I've been looking at that sony one. I usually have the problem with sony electronics in general that they break down really quickly but if you've been using that one for two years sounds pretty well made.

I was considering buying one of those, but for $25 (plus a $3 1/8" to 1/8" stereo cable) you can do the same thing with this:

http://www.digitope.com/digitalizer/index.aspx

I'm currently using their free trial period to transfer some important cassette tapes with good results.

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions. I've been looking at that sony one. I usually have the problem with sony electronics in general that they break down really quickly but if you've been using that one for two years sounds pretty well made.

Another thing to think about when you do get your deck:

If your stereo/receiver doesn't have PHONO inputs, you may need to get an external pre-amp through which you route your turntable outputs (you can get them pretty cheap, usually). If your deck has a built-in pre-amp then you won't need to worry about this.

Another thing to think about when you do get your deck:

If your stereo/receiver doesn't have PHONO inputs, you may need to get an external pre-amp through which you route your turntable outputs (you can get them pretty cheap, usually). If your deck has a built-in pre-amp then you won't need to worry about this.

I have a stereo system already that im pretty sure i can run it through...hopefully as well as some connector cables that I use to connect my stereo system to my laptop hopefully I should be set.

there's lots to choose from here.

*The Denon & Technics models look pretty good.

I like alot of these on this site...

I know I need to find a turntable that I can run through

my stero system, I have 3 turntables in the house, one the GPX will play the 45's and 33's

the other two older turntables will play even 78's...

Pioneer and TDK electronics seem to be compatible with most systems....

I'm looking for a turntable to play some really old 10" and 16" vinyl from 1900-1901,

I'm curious to hear how the music sounded way back when...

Dual606b.JPG
I have three Dual turntables (none as fancy as this), all of which I am getting rehabed in sequence. I would visit your local stereo repair store and see what kind of used turntables they might have rehabed and would like to sell. You can also get an older receiver that way with phono inputs.

LouieB

Maybe on the high end of what your looking to spend but a Pro-Ject Debut III can be had for around 3 hundred, bear in mind for any turntable you choose you will also need a tuner with a phono input/ grounding.

If you are loooking to go cheaper I would buy used, look for something that is at least from the 70's or prior. Scour garage sales, thrift stores or your local craigs list. The new sony isn't in the same league as a "standard" used TT from the 70s.

Enjoy

Cassius

Maybe on the high end of what your looking to spend but a Pro-Ject Debut III can be had for around 3 hundred, bear in mind for any turntable you choose you will also need a tuner with a phono input/ grounding.

If you are loooking to go cheaper I would buy used, look for something that is at least from the 70's or prior. Scour garage sales, thrift stores or your local craigs list. The new sony isn't in the same league as a "standard" used TT from the 70s.

Enjoy

Cassius

The Pioneer that I linked has a built in phono pre-amp, all you need it a place to hook up the rca's.

I was considering buying one of those, but for $25 (plus a $3 1/8" to 1/8" stereo cable) you can do the same thing with this:

http://www.digitope.com/digitalizer/index.aspx

I'm currently using their free trial period to transfer some important cassette tapes with good results.

Actually, I take this back. I was using this program this weekend and it leaves a LOT to be desired. Having said that you DO NOT need to buy equipment to put albums/casettes, etc. on cd. You only need software.

So I got the record player today and tried it out with one of my few records (Billy Bragg's - Workers Playtime) and was impressed but noticed that the quality wasn't that great. So I was wondering, what difference does a cartridge/stylus make? How do I replace the current cartridge with a newer, better quality one? All help is appreciated.

Edit: I find that it is not so much an issue of quality as opposed to an issue of a lot of crackling and popping sounds. Also, the record I used had never been played or removed from its sleeve before so its not an issue of the record being scratched or anything.

Edited by jhh4321

All vinyl records, even brand new ones are going to have surface noise, some more than others.

This brings up lots of interesting issues. I have nearly new albums that sound worse than albums from the 50s and 60s that are very used. Sure a better cartridge may make an album sound better than a cheap one, but an album that has surface issues will still have those same issues even with a better cartridge and needle. Don't forget this is just a piece of plastic that is mass produced off a machine that has basically stamped it out. If the company producing it isn't worried about quality control, even a brand new vinyl disk will sound like crap. Likewise an older well produced one will play pretty darn good.

The ongoing argument about CDs not sounding as good as vinyl has nothing to do with surface noise, CDs don't have it, vinyl nearly always does to some extent or other. Get used to it.

LouieB

So I got the record player today and tried it out with one of my few records (Billy Bragg's - Workers Playtime) and was impressed but noticed that the quality wasn't that great. So I was wondering, what difference does a cartridge/stylus make? How do I replace the current cartridge with a newer, better quality one? All help is appreciated.

Edit: I find that it is not so much an issue of quality as opposed to an issue of a lot of crackling and popping sounds. Also, the record I used had never been played or removed from its sleeve before so its not an issue of the record being scratched or anything.

Cartridge & stylus make all the difference in the world in terms of sound quality. Buy the best you can afford if you're serious about sound quality. Shure has always made good cartridges. I'm not sure who else is still in this business. Stanton, maybe.

Crackling and popping is most often caused either by scratches, or dirt/dust. Since you don't see scratches, it's probably more the latter. If you use a wet record cleaning system, you may notice a difference.