Hey it's Tuesday

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gahh, I was in a hurry and grabbed the only M Ward they had in the local record store, got home, unwrapped it and and just NOW noticed it's End Of Amnesia. Oh well, this one should be good too, right?

I think that you'll get a fine introduction from either End Of Amnesia, Transfiguration of Vincent, or Post-War. (This is probably true of Transistor Radio too but it's a step below imo.) Amnesia is not my favorite, but if I'd started with it I would still have sought out the others as well. He is really consistent and anyone of them is likely to get you hooked.

(This is probably true of Transistor Radio too but it's a step below imo.) Amnesia is not my favorite, but if I'd started with it I would still have sought out the others as well.

That's good to hear. Transister Radio is the only one I've previously owned, and I love it. I just bought Post-War off of iTunes...not my preferred way of purchasing music, but I don't feel like walking back down to the record store.

M has 4 solid albums. Tweedy has 20 years of history. I'm not comparing them, I just looking towards the future.

I had an idea of what you meant. I was just f-n with you.

Damn I didnt realize that track 2 was a cover. And Daniel Johnston at that!

I don't understand why people are down on Transistor Radio.

I absolutely love it. And I'm a huge fan of all his music.

Fuel For Fire and I'll Be Your Bird never cease to give me goosebumps.

It's still a very good album but I don't think it's quite as good as the rest.

it's definitely better than Duet For Guitars #2 imo...

I don't understand why people are down on Transistor Radio.

I absolutely love it. And I'm a huge fan of all his music.

Fuel For Fire and I'll Be Your Bird never cease to give me goosebumps.

i don't see anyone down on it in this thread?? :unsure

it is great, it's just that Transfiguration before it was one of my fave records post '00, so it was pretty hard to top.

i don't know what it is about the new one that i like over Transistor, but i do i guess...

they're both equally great, i just prefer Post-War

it is great, it's just that Transfiguration before it was one of my fave records post '00, so it was pretty hard to top.

i don't know what it is about the new one that i like over Transistor, but i do i guess...

they're both equally great, i just prefer Post-War

I love his first 4 pretty much equally. but after many listens, I'm still not feeling Post War. I don't think it's good or bad, it just does nothing for me.

I love his first 4 pretty much equally. but after many listens, I'm still not feeling Post War. I don't think it's good or bad, it just does nothing for me.

This is pretty much how I feel about it. The Daniel Johnston is song is great and there are a few in the mid-end I like that maybe I'll put on a Sunday morning playlist but overall it's not really grabbing me.

This is not to say that if he put out another disk tomorrow, I wouldn't be first on line to buy it and it could very well be my favorite piece of music of all time---because I would and I certainly believe he'll put out many other disks that'll grab me every bit as much as Radio and Vincent. I'm also definitely looking forward to his show in a couple of weeks and will surely buy a shirt. So I'm still a believer, you see.

It's just that unfortunately instead of getting something like that cool fuzzy vibrato bit at the beginning of 'Outta My Head' (which still rules me every time), we get those nauseating old-Disney era strings in 'Today's Undertaking (lyrically a great song though).

Poison Cup blows me away every time i start listening to the record... sounds like Louis Armstrong almost at times

the title cut also kills me.... gorgeous stuff

fave songs:

Requiem

Chinese Translation

Post-War

Poison Cup

To Go Home

Right In The Head

Rollercoaster

honestly i guess i don't see how any fan of Matt's could be even remotely disappointed with the album whatsoever myself... you don't have to like it as much as his last 2 (heck i was "disappointed" by Transistor Radio compared to Vincent, still an amazing record). it's not like he went all commercial or some shit, it's still gonna sell it's usual 10-15k records, maybe 20-25k if he's luck and it gets a big push. one of the most consistant solo artists post '00 that's for sure.

Looking at your list, yeah those are some pretty great songs--Requiem and Rollercoaster especially (glad Magic Trick wasn't on there). And I really can't argue with anything in your post--he's totally consistent and solid and masterful and don't for a second think there's an attempt to go commercial but for whatever reason this one doesn't punch me in the gut.