Hey it's Tuesday

Letterman kind of annoyed me with his comments. First, making fun of the instrument right as he's getting ready to perform. Then, as he's thanking his guests, he's poking fun at M's name, asking if it stands for Montgomery Ward. I know it's not a big deal, but Letterman just didn't seem to take him very seriously. :angry

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't tell if MWards' amp was turned down on purpose or not. Usually I can tell if there's a bad tv mix going on but I couldn't from last night. I really couldn't hear anything he was doing at the end which may have added the bit of excitment I thought the performance needed.

While I'm being critical and bare in mind this is coming from a full-on fan--

I'm thinking the strings heard on a couple of the songs (Poison Cup for one but there's another at the end) really bother me. It sort of detracts from the rawness out of his songs and recordings--which has been a big attraction for me to his music. The playing, singing, and songs are definitely still there on these songs but for me the strings a good deal more than slightly detract from these songs. Almost leaving me with a slight taste of nausea despite, like I said, generally enjoying the songs. Maybe that's some sort of Pavlovian reaction I get to hearing orchestrated strings in rock music.

Oh well, who asked me. Still looking forward to seeing him in a couple of weeks.

he's a comedian...

You think? I shouldn't have even said anything. He jokes around with/about many of the performers on there, but he usually acknowledges their talent at the same time. With M, there was zero acknowledgement of the performance. He is a comedian, but he's also a talk show host, which means you find a balance between your smart ass comments and being gracious to your guests. That balance wasn't there.

Edited by marino13
Weird about the release date, we got the vinyl and CD in Friday.

Also: Mad props to Merge for giving a download certificate with the vinyl (along with Touch and Go and Matador who are doing the same.)

since the cd was delayed, i bought the vinyl (even though i do not have a record player :ermm hope to get one for christmas) on the theory that digital downloads plus my first vinyl purchase would be fun.

opened it just now---no digital download details or coupon inside. oh well. tuesday is not so far off.

Edited by rareair
since the cd was delayed, i bought the vinyl (even though i do not have a record player :ermm hope to get one for christmas) on the theory that digital downloads plus my first vinyl purchase would be fun.

opened it just now---no digital download details or coupon inside. oh well. tuesday is not so far off.

Here's something to hold you over:

M on David Letterman

Just ordered this online at Barnes and Noble. They are selling it for $10 and change, under $9.50 if you have a membership. Shipping is free with any purchase over $25. Should have it by the end of the week! :rock

Post War is great. 1st introduction to M. Ward and I loved it on the first play. And I agree with a previous poster that his stuff seems to evolve the more you listen.

Picked this up yesterday (apparently yesterday was the official release date) and I think it is great. I would say better than Transistor Radio and pretty damn close to Transfiguration of Vincent but when it comes down to it this guy has yet to release any bad material.

Picked this up yesterday (apparently yesterday was the official release date) and I think it is great. I would say better than Transistor Radio and pretty damn close to Transfiguration of Vincent but when it comes down to it this guy has yet to release any bad material.

He's my new Jeff Tweedy. I believe I have moved on. I'm serious.

He's my new Jeff Tweedy. I believe I have moved on. I'm serious.

Uhm.... :huh This new record is exceptional! However, I would not trade him for all the Tweedy in the world.

I am fairly new to MW but there is no doubt he has talent. I love track #2. (it sounds a lot like Wilco IMO)

The release delay was due to a mastering problem. There is a really long gap on all the original pressings of the CD after the first couple songs. A really long silent pause. Matt wasn't happy with that so they recalled it. Not sure if those are the ones that got to the indies or not, the instore play copy we have does have it.

Uhm.... :huh This new record is exceptional! However, I would not trade him for all the Tweedy in the world.

I am fairly new to MW but there is no doubt he has talent. I love track #2. (it sounds a lot like Wilco IMO)

M has 4 solid albums. Tweedy has 20 years of history. I'm not comparing them, I just looking towards the future.