Flaming Lips/Sonic Youth

I went. The best fucking night of my life.

The Magic Numbers, as my friend commented, looked like the "ugliest band ever," and sadly, it's relatively hard to contest. I will give it to them for a pretty good set, though I didn't know anything they played. Ominously enough, the rain began when their set began and ended when their set did.

Sonic Youth was rocking, and they all looked happy to be there, especially Lee, who was jumping up and down and stuff as they began their set with Teenage Riot. I didn't really catch their setlist, as I was trying to avoid people smoking weed. Stuff they played were the aforementioned Teenage Riot, Incinerate, Reena, Do You Believe In Rapture?, What A Waste, and etc., mostly new stuff, with really long noise instrumentals in between early on in the set.

The Lips - Holy fucking shit. This is what all concerts should be like. I caught the setlist this time. From my spot in the bit, stage right and back quite a bit, wasn't bad, though I pretty much missed all the spaceball and blue balloon action (I did hit a blue balloon once and got a bunch of spaceball pictures, one which is remniscent of the scene at Iwo Jima). Some highlights were the punching nun doll during the Yoshimi singalong (one of three singalongs - Yoshimi, the Yeah Yeah Yeah Song, and She Don't Use Jelly), the spewing of gas during The W.A.N.D., what seemed like 50 pounds of confetti during Do You Realize???, and weird videos of Teletubbies during their encore. I have a bunch of shitty cell phone pictures from this show, but my friend (who was the driver) got a photo pass with a hardcore camera and got some really nice shots. When I get them I'll put them up here.

Post concert was interesting. One of my other friends had a "hookup" with some of the event staff, so to speak, so we got to be relatively close in line for when the bands came out. I got all the people from Sonic Youth to sign my soggy paper-ticket except Lee (I even got their touring bassist, whose name I don't remember). I also got one of the huge balloons to take home, which ended up being signed by Kliph. From the Lips, I met Wayne and Kliph, who both signed my ticket, and I got a picture with Wayne. I probably look like a dick in the picture, but it's the price you pay, especially waiting around some of the biggest pricks (I can elaborate later if need be) to get to meet some of the bands.

So I ended up getting home around 1, and eventually kicked myself for getting home that late as I had to get up at 6:00 AM. Which completely sucks.

Lips setlist:

"Ta Da!"

Race For The Prize

Free Radicals

Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots, pt. 1

Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots, pt. 2

Vein Of Stars

The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song

The W.A.N.D.

My Cosmic Autumn Rebellion

She Don't Use Jelly

Do You Realize???

E:

Spoonful Weighs A Ton

best. night. ever. Then again, I've never been to a Wilco concert. Maybe this is the appetizer. Maybe.

edit: I killed my shins doing half-jumps because I was so fucking into it. Poor choice on my part, especially running cross country.

edit2: I did see a videotaper, which hopefully will be released. Eventually.

edit3: I went to the Columbus show. If that ever confused anyone.

Edited by poortranslator
best. night. ever. Then again, I've never been to a Wilco concert. Maybe this is the appetizer. Maybe.

pretty much apples and oranges. Lips are like the circus, Wilco is like the symphony (Wayne: "Come on, sing everybody!" Jeff: "Come on, shutup everybody!")

pretty much apples and oranges. Lips are like the circus, Wilco is like the symphony (Wayne: "Come on, sing everybody!" Jeff: "Come on, shutup everybody!")

:rotfl Nice comparison! And poortranslator,it makes me smile when folks have a gooood time :thumbup

Thanks for the great recap. I would have crawled over broken glass to see the above song. What a gem...

TeletubbiesHP43212.jpg

It was amazing. Featured the teletubbies on the big screen. They had to cut War Pigs because of the 11 p.m. curfew, but Spoonful was a fantastic closer.

I saw 'em do War Pigs with Peaches at

in March, so I didn't feel so bad.

Some stuff just went up on youtube that gives you an idea of how crazy the start of the show was. on the first part, about 45 seconds in, that's Wayne in the Space Bubble standing on my hands for about 5 seconds. Second part you get to see a very, very tightly packed pit going quite bonkers at they start Race for the Prize.