Arbiter rules Nebraska can't fire state trooper for joining KKK

Wow...As ashamed as I am to admit it,a few years back the Klan won a decision that allowed them to parade in my hometown :no Being the kinda guy I am,I went up & took pics & mailed 'em out to old friends that left town & said " look what you're missing here!" It was friggin'disgusting but as much as i was upset that those s.o.b.s decided to come here,i guess sometimes you gotta accept the sick have a right to their views,even if they're dead wrong...not unlike Bush-Lovers

The K.K.K. must be allowed to march.

But having an authority figure/policeman in the organization is not a free-speech issue.

If you can guarantee that he won't discriminate, fine.

But how do you do that? He should be out of a job. Let him get one somewhere else where impartiality isn't required for daily function. How do you do your job to guarantee that all men and women deserve the pursuit of life, liberty, and happiness, when you belong to an organization that explicitly disagrees? Imagine if a Muslim policeman was an admitted member of a terrorist organization. The whole country would be in uproar, republicans and democrats.

Not only that, but think about the resources to which this cop has access. They better watch him closely if they let him stay.

Gross.

As for terrorist organizations, everybody forgets that before nineeleven, our biggest threat was a white, ex-military man.

But how do you wage war against someone like that? It's much easier when your enemy is abstract- and a minority (compared to your own citizens).

Even more gross.

The K.K.K. must be allowed to march.

But having an authority figure/policeman in the organization is not a free-speech issue.

If you can guarantee that he won't discriminate, fine.

But how do you do that? He should be out of a job. Let him get one somewhere else where impartiality isn't required for daily function. How do you do your job to guarantee that all men and women deserve the pursuit of life, liberty, and happiness, when you belong to an organization that explicitly disagrees? Imagine if a Muslim policeman was an admitted member of a terrorist organization. The whole country would be in uproar, republicans and democrats.

Not only that, but think about the resources to which this cop has access. They better watch him closely if they let him stay.

Gross.

As for terrorist organizations, everybody forgets that before nineeleven, our biggest threat was a white, ex-military man.

But how do you wage war against someone like that? It's much easier when your enemy is abstract- and a minority (compared to your own citizens).

Even more gross.

well said

so I guess free speech is only protected if it's the speech you agree with?

As posted in the article, there has been no evidence that his involvement with the KKK has affected his job. I would imagine that if he had harassed minorities on the job he would have been reported for doing so and either reprimanded or terminated.

This is the ACLU's dream case--defending an admittedly racist cop from persons offended by racism. That's what they're there for :ermm . Jesse Jackson should march in support of this man keeping his job.

what happened to "I disagree with what you say but I'll fight to the death to protect your right to say it" or something to that effect....?

The Terrorist Screening Database (TSDB) is not available to the public. Where is the US classification that the KKK is on the terror-watch list, or that its members, by default, are considered terrorists?

I find the KKK repugnant, and I agree with the sentiment and emotional reaction of those of you who say this guy should be canned, but if I'm supposed to protect someone's right to piss on depictions of Jesus and hang them in publicly funded museums or call the Bush administration "nazis" or take any vestiges of religion or morals out of schools and public buildings, then shouldn't we all protect this man's right to be a racist, so long as that racism does not manifest itself in the way he performs his job?

No?

You may not have read my post. It's understandable, though, that you wouldn't. It's integral to the kind of logical invention that lawyers must master. Don't want to muddy the pool- even if there's already "piss" in it.

No?

You may not have read my post. It's understandable, though, that you wouldn't. It's integral to the kind of logical invention that lawyers must master. Don't want to muddy the pool- even if there's already "piss" in it.

No?

There's no need for that response. I did read your post, and I indicated in mine that I agree with the sentiment of many of the posts on here, but that I didn't see a legal basis for firing the guy simply because he is affiliated with the KKK.

what the hell?

so I guess free speech is only protected if it's the speech you agree with?

No?

a couple things:

If the KKK is not on the terror watch list, it should be. I can think of no other group here in the US that has epitomized the word "terror" in the manner or time that the KKK has.

religion =/ morals

it's disgusting someone would want to join the kkk, but it shouldn't bar them from a job as long as they perform the job up to par. i'd think the mental capacity one must lack to sympathise with the klan point of view would be enough to keep someone from passing the cop test, but apparently you can be a moron and a klanster kop.

a couple things:

If the KKK is not on the terror watch list, it should be. I can think of no other group here in the US that has epitomized the word "terror" in the manner or time that the KKK has.

religion =/ morals

Edie,

Just curious if you've ever had a chance to read "Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything" by Steven D. Levitt, Stephen J. Dubner? They have a fascinating section on the history and documentation of the KKK, of how the Superman TV show helped almost kill it at one point, and other data...

And I agree that religion =/ morals. I just wonder whether we're not becoming politically correct to the point of absurdity--to where our teachers will be prevented from even suggesting morals in any context...

If the KKK is not on the terror watch list, it should be. I

Sadly, it's not.

The problem it seems to me is the state troopers are unionized, and have a binding agreement with the state. That severely limits the ability of the state to fire a trooper if it can't be shown he has been derelict in his duties.

One solution would be for the Nebraska state legislature to pass a law forbidding KKK members from being in law enforcement. You could make a 1st Amendment challenge to this law of course, but I think it's a reasonable balance between free speech and upholding the public safety.