Nintendo fans finally have a price and release date for the company's new generation console, Wii. The Big N is set to officially announce that the system will hit retail in North and South America for $250 on November 19. The New York Times broke an embargo and published the information even before news hit out of Japan.

Nintendo's Wii console will come packaged with Wii Sports, a compilation sports game that best shows off the mechanics of the system's unique controller. Wii Sports features tennis, baseball, golf and a previously unannounced bowling game.

Nintendo said it would provide Wii owners with more than 25 unique games this year.

Wii's much talked-about Virtual Console download service, which enables gamers to purchase classic games, will offer a library of some 30 titles when the system launches. Titles will include entries from the Mario, Zelda and Donkey Kong franchises, Nintendo said. Virtual Console games will cost between $5 and $10 each.

The Big N confirmed that it would charge $50 for its new Wii games, which is $10 cheaper than the cost of standard Xbox 360 titles.

In a surprise announcement, Nintendo said that it wanted to make Wii a living room centerpiece by shipping the system with features outside of the videogame realm. Wil will include a photo channel, enabling users to display their digital photos through the console. It will also boast regularly updated news and weather channels. In addition, the system will ship with the Opera Web browser, enabling users to connect online.

Sony recently announced that it would ready 400,000 PS3s in North America and another 100,000 in Japan for the system's launch. Nintendo said it plans to ship 4 million Wii units worldwide by the end of the year.

So much for the whole "it could come out in October" theory. And what the fuck is up with charging 250 for it? Yes, that is cheap in comparison to their competition, but the technology in there isn't worth near that. I could see it if they were shipping it bundled with an extra controller and Wii Sports, but Wii Sports alone isn't enough to justify that cost.

All of that said, I know where I'll be November 19th. Drunk and playing Nintendo. :cheers

I tried it out and hated it. Regardless, it's going to be more user friendly than surfing the internet with an analog sticks and a couple buttons. I'm confused as to whether or not I'd actually be accessing the internet through Opera or just the lame Nintendo "channels." And for the record, you have to pay to download Opera onto the system. Stuuuuuupid.

I need to know if I can hook up any hard drive to the system. I read somewhere that you might be able to and somewhere else that you wouldn't be able to. 512mb flash memory isn't nearly enough to save all the games I will want to download via that virtual console thing and there's no way I'm going to want to buy some overpriced Nintendo-specific storage device.

Yeah, but I'm going to want N64 games also. And Dreamcast if that ever becomes an option. I think it is just Genesis right now from Sega. I know it has a USB port somewhere so hopefully my 80GB USB drive will work with it.........kind of a longshot, I know...

I just picked up Harvest Moon DS and asked if they were reserving Wiis yet. They didn't have a SKU for the console but talked me in to reserving a game (I did Zelda) and assured me they would call me when I could reserve the console.

As for ROMs I've never really had much luck with them. I do however still have an NES that works pretty good. I will be happy to get the virtual console games on the Wii.

They have Opera for DS available in Japan already, and it's supposed to come out in US. I may get it because it would be pretty handy to get online with a DS and WiFi.

the DS is the best 129 bucks i ever spent. sure its not as sexy as the psp but damn if the games are entertaining as hell. i have been playing madden 07 and while the graphics leave something to be desired it has just about everything the big boys do.