Octoberquest 2006

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Glavine will be back. I also think Pedro and El Duque will be back. So with those three, and Maine, Pelfrey, Perez, and a potential free agent (depending on Pedro/ElDuque health) I think the rotation is certainly good enough to "compete."

Plenty of teams have won by shortening games to 7 innings. And if the Mets proved anything this year, its that getting 5-6 innings from a starter with a solid bullpen can lead to the NLCS. Why move Heilman out of that role? Especially since the Mets will probably be relying on Glavine, Pedro, Duque at some point next year? Now, I dont know if Heilman will accept that role, but I do think that's the role that he fits best on this team. Obviously, Randolph and Minaya agree, since they didnt move him to the rotation after all the injuries to the rotation. Either way, you can make an argument, but its not a no-brainer.

Oh crap!! Sorry, I forgot. I keep forgetting this. Not only do you know more than everyone on this site about baseball, but you also know more than Willie Randolph and Omar Minaya. You're right. They should move him to the pen because you said so. Why not give Loria a call? The Marlins need your help more than the Mets do at this point.

No need to be a prick.

Per MLBtraderumors.com:

"As has been reported in several places, Tom Glavine plans on returning to the Braves. I'm told a "handshake agreement" is in place. Orlando Hernandez may be re-signed and of course Steve Trachsel is a goner. Beyond that, the Mets have many in-house starting pitching options."

"My source also tells me that there is a lot of consideration for Aaron Heilman to return to starting for 2007. They hope to re-sign Guillermo Mota but expect Darren Oliver to command too much money."

And yeah, I would expect I know more than Willie Randolph does. The guy is not a good manager. Sorry to burst your bubble. If I had a 100 million dollar payroll to play with, I could pretty much garauntee a playoff berth, especially with how weak the NL was this year.

bobbob would've.

:D

Did I offend you're family or something, dude? Stop being an ass.

No need to be a prick.

Per MLBtraderumors.com:

"As has been reported in several places, Tom Glavine plans on returning to the Braves. I'm told a "handshake agreement" is in place. Orlando Hernandez may be re-signed and of course Steve Trachsel is a goner. Beyond that, the Mets have many in-house starting pitching options."

"My source also tells me that there is a lot of consideration for Aaron Heilman to return to starting for 2007. They hope to re-sign Guillermo Mota but expect Darren Oliver to command too much money."

And yeah, I would expect I know more than Willie Randolph does. The guy is not a good manager. Sorry to burst your bubble. If I had a 100 million dollar payroll to play with, I could pretty much garauntee a playoff berth, especially with how weak the NL was this year.

Did I offend you're family or something, dude? Stop being an ass.

Now who's the prick?

If I had a 100 million dollar payroll to play with, I could pretty much garauntee a playoff berth, especially with how weak the NL was this year.

I agree with you that Randolph isn't a great field manager, but this is a weird argument, considering the Mets had the best record in the National League this year.

I agree with you that Randolph isn't a great field manager, but this is a weird argument, considering the Mets had the best record in the National League this year.

I'm saying that making the playoffs in a weak league with a 100 million dollar payroll isn't that big of an accomplishment.

I'm saying that making the playoffs in a weak league with a 100 million dollar payroll isn't that big of an accomplishment.

Things are harder for the Mets than they are for other teams.

Especially when you have Willie Randolph as your manager.

OK, I'll bite. Please detail how Willie could have been a better manager so the Mets could have gone like 128-34 or something like that.

My grandfather's in the hospital, and he told me today that the only thing he's looking forward to is the Cardinals in the World Series. So I guess I'm Cardinal fan for the week.

He also was telling me some cool stories about the old Cardinals, especially Dizzy and Daffy Dean. Don't know how much of the stories were true (i think the drugs may have been kicking in at the time), but they were interesting nonetheless.

GO CARDS!!!

Yeah, that was surprising to say the least. Reyes has shown previously that he can be that good, but I wasn't expecting him to be that good. Nice that he had some run support behind him. Can't wait for tonight. I was at a wedding last night and didn't get to see an ounce of the game.

OK, I'll bite. Please detail how Willie could have been a better manager so the Mets could have gone like 128-34 or something like that.

Ok, I'll bite. please detail how things are harder when you are the Mets?

There's not much he could have done better, because managers don't really have that much control over the outcome of a game, but he certainly didn't have much to do with their success. The Manager of the year award is usually a joke, and generally goes to the team with the best record.

While to the outside world, Mets fans and Yankees fans are interchangeable assholes, in our own milieu, Mets fans see themselves as dissenters/underdogs/nonconformists/sentimentalists. We always see ourselves at a disadvantge.

Randolph's greatest contribution may well be the fact that he is a classy guy, not a negative and not a distraction.

shrine.jpg

got the shrine in full effect...... :pray

hey, we need all the help we can get......Jen, got an appropriate voodoo doll?? :lol

Even Em helped out with tacking up the b&w photos

--

I spoke to my mom last night and today and haven't heard her sounding so happy in awhile.....she is loving all of this. It is because of her that I am a baseball fan. She has been a Cardinals fan since she was a little girl. Hats off to mom! :thumbup

That was an exciting 9th - too bad Yadi couldn't deliver again.

Props to Kenny Rogers, the dog poop on his hand, and one amazing game.....he looked really good. A deserved win!

On to St. Louis! :cheers

Kenny Rogers is awesome. Unbelievable.

I hope to never see Todd Jones again. He scares me. I have more confidence in even an injured Joel Zumaya.

I should have snuck that Tigers pint glass into your Cardinals shrine....missed opportunity...

thanks again for that glass....let me know if I can ever pick you up some baseball swag in my travels (well, when that happens) The glass will make it into our rotation AFTER the World Series ;)